THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

40 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

This is a similar set up to the Milwaukee Public Market est., 2005.   General market seating up-stairs overlooking market hall, along with the public bathrooms.  Not saying it's the right way to do it....

A cynic might think they are designed this way to discourage street people from using the restrooms.

• Like 1

Many markets like these have the event and "community" type elements upstairs(bathrooms).  One main reason is also because ground level retail space is essential to their success because the vendors pay rent, and not usually a premium based on sales.  More Retail space = more profit.  Bathrooms upstairs = more retails SQ FT.  Put the non money making elements upstairs where the public is less likely to go, unless they have "to go".  Another example of this is how malls usually have the bathrooms off in some far corner, down a very long hallway, almost hidden, can not take valuable retail storefront space for that.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Many markets like these have the event and "community" type elements upstairs(bathrooms).  One main reason is also because ground level retail space is essential to their success because the vendors pay rent, and not usually a premium based on sales.  More Retail space = more profit.  Bathrooms upstairs = more retails SQ FT.  Put the non money making elements upstairs where the public is less likely to go, unless they have "to go".  Another example of this is how malls usually have the bathrooms off in some far corner, down a very long hallway, almost hidden, can not take valuable retail storefront space for that.

Actually in the food court sections of the malls, the bathrooms are right there, easily accessible. #justsayin

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Seems much ado about nothing. I've never visited the Market and thought it sucked because I had to walk up to the second floor to use the bathroom. Is it really that big of an issue? ;)

Joe

Have you ever been there with a young child who suddenly really has to go?  Have you ever been walking around shopping various items, etc. then wanted to wash your hands before getting something to eat at one of the permanent vendors?  Ever want to just quickly hit the restroom before moving on to other activities?  In a general sense, you're right, it's not a big issue - except when it IS a big issue.  Then it's a big issue. In a world where you're competing for the consumer's dollar, it's important to realize that the consumer will be searching for reasons to choose one destination over another.  All things being relatively equal, if your bathroom situation sucks compared to the alternate choice, you stand a good chance of losing.  

• Like 1

Seems much ado about nothing. I've never visited the Market and thought it sucked because I had to walk up to the second floor to use the bathroom. Is it really that big of an issue? ;)

Joe

When they moved all the seating upstairs, it was an inconvenience to have walk upstairs to sit down and eat a taco.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wingbert said:

Have you ever been there with a young child who suddenly really has to go?  Have you ever been walking around shopping various items, etc. then wanted to wash your hands before getting something to eat at one of the permanent vendors?  Ever want to just quickly hit the restroom before moving on to other activities?  In a general sense, you're right, it's not a big issue - except when it IS a big issue.  Then it's a big issue. In a world where you're competing for the consumer's dollar, it's important to realize that the consumer will be searching for reasons to choose one destination over another.  All things being relatively equal, if your bathroom situation sucks compared to the alternate choice, you stand a good chance of losing.  

Also don't underestimate us old guys and the daunting task of going up a flight of stairs and walk a hundred yards to go to the bathroom. :P

In the grand scheme of the universe, it's not a big deal. In the grand scheme of user experience as it relates to a positive retail experience, it gets a failing grade in my book. 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Also don't underestimate us old guys and the daunting task of going up a flight of stairs and walk a hundred yards to go to the bathroom. :P

In the grand scheme of the universe, it's not a big deal. In the grand scheme of user experience as it relates to a positive retail experience, it gets a failing grade in my book. 

I guess I just put this in the same category as people who will drive around a parking lot for 10 minutes to find a spot 30 feet closer to the door. 

And as far as "old men" GRDad, if you fall in that category, then I do too. And it definitely doesn't hurt to have my sorry ass walk a bit. :)

Joe

I know I'm older than GRDadof3. LOL. I will tell you if and when you starting taking some cholesterol meds, when you have to go, you HAVE TO GO and NOW.:tw_anguished:. Until my body got used to the meds, I had to plot my travels during the day so I knew where the closest public bathroom was. And since I now have my medicare card, my "holding" power isn't what it used. I know TMI :tw_grin:

I agree with those criticizing the bathrooms on the second floor. IMHO, any public facility like the Market needs convenient ie 1st floor, well marked, well appointed  and clean bathrooms. FM Gardens is a good example  Nothing turns my experience off more than having to hunt a hidden, dingy and dirty bathroom.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

I know I'm older than GRDadof3. LOL. I will tell you if and when you starting taking some cholesterol meds, when you have to go, you HAVE TO GO and NOW.:tw_anguished:. Until my body got used to the meds, I had to plot my travels during the day so I knew where the closest public bathroom was. And since I now have my medicare card, my "holding" power isn't what it used. I know TMI :tw_grin:

I agree with those criticizing the bathrooms on the second floor. IMHO, any public facility like the Market needs convenient ie 1st floor, well marked, well appointed  and clean bathrooms. FM Gardens is a good example  Nothing turns my experience off more than having to hunt a hidden, dingy and dirty bathroom.

Thankfully the DTMT bathrooms are nice, once you finally get there. 

25 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I can't remember, do they have drinking fountains near the bathrooms? The way you guys are making it sound, people must be famished and near death by the time they reach the bathrooms. :):)

Joe

I look at it this way, and then I won't say another word. Let's say you go out to eat at Grove. And at some point during the meal, you have to go to the bathroom, which the closest ones are at Maru Sushi...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I look at it this way, and then I won't say another word. Let's say you go out to eat at Grove. And at some point during the meal, you have to go to the bathroom, which the closest ones are at Maru Sushi...

Ok, one last word. You go to the Apple Store in Woodland Mall. Do you expect to use their iToilet? :) Or go to the public restrooms way across the mall.

I'm actually just messing with you guys. I do agree with @organsnyder on the sign though. ;)

Joe

4 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I can't remember, do they have drinking fountains near the bathrooms? The way you guys are making it sound, people must be famished and near death by the time they reach the bathrooms. :):)

Joe

I get the last word:tw_grin:.

I can't wait until you guys get my age, You will find out it's not being famished or near death. It's whether you wet your pants or worse, fill your pants before you find the bathroom .:tw_anguished:

• Like 2

Ok, one last word. You go to the Apple Store in Woodland Mall. Do you expect to use their iToilet? :) Or go to the public restrooms way across the mall.

I'm actually just messing with you guys. I do agree with @organsnyder on the sign though. ;)

Joe

Joe, you don't eat at the Apple store. Although I guess it is an "apple" store. :)  When you eat, things start moving. 

That sign was funny, but when I go for a hike, I prepare for it. When I go for a 30 mile bike ride, I prepare for it. And I can pee in the woods! lol

OK moving on. 

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

Sorry to drive everyone way off topic. Moving on, has anyone checked out this new-ish market vendor: http://www.theoddestco.com/ Looks like some cool stuff. 

I look in their window every time I eat at Tacos El Cunado there, but haven't been in. 

^^^see post earlier about being an old guy^^^

The Moosejaw store across the street is really cool. Don't know if I mentioned it before. 

• Like 1