THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

38 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Really?! I feel like I just walked over to that area a few weeks ago and it was still there. Sort of by Rocket Pizza? 

Yep. Simpatico has been out for a while, fixtures and all. It has been several months now because our friends who own another respectable coffee shop in town considered that vacant space for a second spot and that has been several months since they told us about it. 

I was at the market over the weekend.  Carvers meat cases were dark.  Apparently some issue with the refrigeration.  What's strange is that while they were open, they had no signs advising - YES - WE ARE OPEN - Just ask, and we will get anything for you.... With no sign people were just passing on by.   The only reason I knew is because I asked a Fish Lads guy.  I did end up buying some lunch meats/cheese from Carvers, and I was probably their only sale for the day.   Seems an odd way to run a business, and a new business at that!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Hey you guys!! Guess what's finally being built across the street from the Downtown Market??!!

Drumroll

A giant parking lot for Spectrum Health...  :cry:

Spectrum Parking DT Market.jpg

I saw this last week in something. Bleh. Such crap. My question was whether this was for Spectrum Health or Spectrum Industries who I thought owned this lot?

18 minutes ago, SEsideguy said:

Do you have to be an architect to design a parking lot? Seriously I don' know.

No. But I would think you'd have to be an engineer, especially with drain and runoff requirements. This parking lot will have a huge underground detention "tank" apparently.

30 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

I saw this last week in something. Bleh. Such crap. My question was whether this was for Spectrum Health or Spectrum Industries who I thought owned this lot?

Oh yeah, it's just called Spectrum Lot on the agenda so I immediately thought of Spectrum Health. That makes more sense. 

Guess where else they're building a big surface parking lot?? (I'll post it in another thread)

2 minutes ago, SEsideguy said:

Thanks, good to know. Amazing, fill out some empty paper, to draw out a vacant space.

If you look on the right side of that drawing at the title block, you'll see Williams & Works (which is a well known planning company in the area) and Walker Parking Consultants, which all they do is parking, internationally. 

1 hour ago, GVSUChris said:

Well that pretty much blows the idea of this area developing into a solid urban extension of downtown. That lot will be there for a minimum of 20 years as all lots in the downtown area are.

And do not think it will be available for DT Market patrons to use for free. There will be a parking gate there guaranteed, with a nice "events parking" fee if you want to use it.

What a wasted opportunity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SEsideguy said:

Do you have to be an architect to design a parking lot? Seriously I don' know.

They're generally done by Landscape Architects, which from what I recall in my AR-101 class, is basically where you can count on ending up with an architecture degree (assuming you're one of the 50% who can even get an architecture job at all.)

15 minutes ago, SEsideguy said:

I can' t visualize where this property is? By Klingmans and Baker Lofts?

This gorgeous piece of land here, just screaming with potential:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Grand+Rapids,+MI/@42.9515056,-85.6694165,398a,20y,41.57t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88185460bb502815:0xa593aacb1bd3a8d0!8m2!3d42.9633599!4d-85.6680863

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Well that pretty much blows the idea of this area developing into a solid urban extension of downtown. That lot will be there for a minimum of 20 years as all lots in the downtown area are.

And do not think it will be available for DT Market patrons to use for free. There will be a parking gate there guaranteed, with a nice "events parking" fee if you want to use it.

What a wasted opportunity.

Parking gate is at the top middle of the drawring. 

1 hour ago, SEsideguy said:

My grandfather graduated with an architecture degree from Georgia Tech in 1931. He managed a clothing manufacturing plant for almost forty years. He never worked as an architect.

My Dad was an engineer, my brother is an architect, one brother-in-law is a civil engineer, another brother-in-law is an aerospace engineer (rocket scientist actually, launches satellites), countless cousins of mine are automotive and civil engineers. My wife worked for an architecture firm for 17 years. I'm the freak who barely graduated from college and is NOT an engineer or architect. :) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SEsideguy said:

My grandfather graduated with an architecture degree from Georgia Tech in 1931. He managed a clothing manufacturing plant for almost forty years. He never worked as an architect.

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

My Dad was an engineer, my brother is an architect, one brother-in-law is a civil engineer, another brother-in-law is an aerospace engineer (rocket scientist actually, launches satellites), countless cousins of mine are automotive and civil engineers. My wife worked for an architecture firm for 17 years. I'm the freak who barely graduated from college and is NOT an engineer or architect. :) 

I’m not sure what this conversation is about but that won’t stop me from adding my two cents.  In my youth I dated a girl who worked as a receptionist in an architect’s office.  That is how I picked up all the brilliant architectural knowledge nonsense I post here.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, walker said:

I’m not sure what this conversation is about but that won’t stop me from adding my two cents.  In my youth I dated a girl who worked as a receptionist in an architect’s office.  That is how I picked up all the brilliant architectural knowledge nonsense I post here.

I watched reruns of The Brady Bunch as a kid.  The life of an architect looked pretty alright to me.  Nice house with a den, plenty of free time, a live-in maid... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wingbert said:

I watched reruns of The Brady Bunch as a kid.  The life of an architect looked pretty alright to me.  Nice house with a den, plenty of free time, a live-in maid... 

That's hilarious. That was my impression of an architect too. Now I find out it's mostly working on churches and credit union branches, not cool houses. 

• Like 1