THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Sounds like a Pho restaurant is replacing the Grand Traverse Distillery Location.

Wonder if it'll be a new restaurant or an existing one adding a second location. Not gonna lie, I've been hard pressed to find better Pho than at Pho Soc Trang, even in places like Chicago and Toronto. I'd be totally fine with them opening a second location.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed somewhat appropriate. 

Spectrum Industries is moving some of their operations out of state, including their painting shop on McConnell, right in the DT Market "district." I know Spectrum Industries owns a lot of the land/buildings right around the Market and I'm wondering if this could eventually lead to the freeing up of those parcels for higher and better uses? 

https://mibiz.com/item/26192-spectrum-industries-relocates-business-from-two-west-michigan-plants-to-kentucky

With the tremendous amount of potential coming to the Arena District it seems like it could be a really amazing time to having a more robust Market District (I don't even think that's a working title for that area) anchor the southern end. 

3 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed somewhat appropriate. 

Spectrum Industries is moving some of their operations out of state, including their painting shop on McConnell, right in the DT Market "district." I know Spectrum Industries owns a lot of the land/buildings right around the Market and I'm wondering if this could eventually lead to the freeing up of those parcels for higher and better uses? 

https://mibiz.com/item/26192-spectrum-industries-relocates-business-from-two-west-michigan-plants-to-kentucky

With the tremendous amount of potential coming to the Arena District it seems like it could be a really amazing time to having a more robust Market District (I don't even think that's a working title for that area) anchor the southern end. 

That's too bad that they're moving, but they do own a lot of land in that area in addition to their building. That big lot across the street is theirs. 

This represents a massive opportunity for that district. It's a property begging for a renovation. I hope everyone around them help work to land an exciting buyer, because this will seriously be a very big deal!

I just wished this didnt happen after they paved over the dirt lot they owned. Part of me hopes that future plans will have the ill-conceived parking lot dug up for a ramp + liner building, but that may be asking for the moon.

11 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

This represents a massive opportunity for that district. It's a property begging for a renovation. I hope everyone around them help work to land an exciting buyer, because this will seriously be a very big deal!

I just wished this didnt happen after they paved over the dirt lot they owned. Part of me hopes that future plans will have the ill-conceived parking lot dug up for a ramp + liner building, but that may be asking for the moon.

That lot could actually become a lower level parking area for a future development project above it. 

I'd love to see Spectrum's building become something akin to the Eastern Market area in Detroit.  

On 10/18/2018 at 10:24 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Finally got around to doing this. These are all of the parcels (roughly) owned by Spectrum Industries and a number of LLC subsidiaries of theirs. Might be the biggest chunk of land near downtown now owned by one entity...

K&K spectrum industries.jpg

Would be nice if they greened up along McConnell and linked it to Sheldon. The linear park work on Sheldon linking the Veterans Park, Tapestry Square and the Downtown Market seems like a pretty good idea for pedestrians.

9370D056-DBC0-4138-81CE-AC8BC4C8E0D1.jpeg.49145efa31b58e1723c2be140c52374d.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 10:24 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Finally got around to doing this. These are all of the parcels (roughly) owned by Spectrum Industries and a number of LLC subsidiaries of theirs. Might be the biggest chunk of land near downtown now owned by one entity...

K&K spectrum industries.jpg

Does the Spectrum still own the southern parcel and they are having the city enforce parking?

15 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

Does the Spectrum still own the southern parcel and they are having the city enforce parking?

Part of that parcel along Ionia, they partnered with the city and created a big paved parking lot with a large retaining wall. Is that what you're talking about? 

3 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Part of that parcel along Ionia, they partnered with the city and created a big paved parking lot with a large retaining wall. Is that what you're talking about? 

Yeah.  it's a majority of the parcel split into two levels right?

Just now, GRDadof3 said:

I thought the city's portion was just the lower level. I could be wrong. The city built 301 parking spaces total. 

I think you're right.  I know the city is at least in charge of enforcement and there are city pay stations on the lot.  

I think it's a nice little area and has a ton of potential.  I would rather live down there than by heartside park.  I wonder if any of those industrial companies will sell and move.  Acme, O'leary,  Maaco , but the one I always wonder about is VanEerden, it's a pretty huge parcel.

1 minute ago, Floyd_Z said:

I think you're right.  I know the city is at least in charge of enforcement and there are city pay stations on the lot.  

I think it's a nice little area and has a ton of potential.  I would rather live down there than by heartside park.  I wonder if any of those industrial companies will sell and move.  Acme, O'leary,  Maaco , but the one I always wonder about is VanEerden, it's a pretty huge parcel.

Here ya go, I was wrong (which is not uncommon) :)

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/02/downtown_grand_rapids_surface.html

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Not sure how many people knew there was office space, let a lone a third floor at the Downtown Market, but there is.    Company will fill space with 100 employees. Seems like a nice win for the facility.  

https://www.grbj.com/articles/95382-data-company-comes-to-downtown-market

I noticed there was work going on up there and meant to ask here if anyone knew the scoop. There it is.