THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

• 2 months later...

http://www.grbj.com/articles/77566-downtown-market-catches-ex-pike-place-fishmonger

I haven't seen a complete list, but it really seems the quality and quantity of the market vendors is coming together pretty nicely.  Grocer's Daughter, Aperitivo, and the bakery come to mind and all seem like first-rate type businesses that will draw customers.  Based on my 2nd visit a few weeks ago and photos I've seen on social media, the outdoor market also seems to be drawing quite well for a new venue.  If they could land a great anchor tenant in a destination brew-pub/restaurant that they are purportedly searching for, I think they'll really be set-up for a successful first year to build upon.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it's deader than a doornail around U.P. these days.  Here's an update from the Downtown Market (that's right THE Downtown Market... you know, the one in Grand Rapids, MI?).  Three more vendors

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/08/downtown_market_announces_thre.html

I'm still waiting for someone to open an All Things Scottish franchise though.

Wow, it's deader than a doornail around U.P. these days.  Here's an update from the Downtown Market (that's right THE Downtown Market... you know, the one in Grand Rapids, MI?).  Three more vendors

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/08/downtown_market_announces_thre.html

Summer vacation

Judging by all the "I'm out of the office through...." auto responses I've gotten recently, I don't think anyone is physically in Grand Rapids right now.

The inside of the downtown market is beautiful. Way better than I envisioned.

If you're on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151593341643244.1073741834.13616718243&type=1

Went to the Market yesterday afternoon. All I can say is WOW. This is going to be fantastic. Talked to some of the vendors and they said they were crazy busy for a "soft opening". It looks like there are a few spots still available (plus the restaurant). I think vendors who were on the fence better jump in with both feet, ASAP. 

And, I had the best Taco ever. Can't remember the vendors name, but it was ridiculous! :)

The architecture is beautiful as well. It's REALLY nice. Kudos to the people that made it happen!

Joe

• Like 1

Went to the Market yesterday afternoon. All I can say is WOW. This is going to be fantastic. Talked to some of the vendors and they said they were crazy busy for a "soft opening". It looks like there are a few spots still available (plus the restaurant). I think vendors who were on the fence better jump in with both feet, ASAP. 

And, I had the best Taco ever. Can't remember the vendors name, but it was ridiculous! :)

The architecture is beautiful as well. It's REALLY nice. Kudos to the people that made it happen!

Joe

It is pretty fantastic, and it wasn't even completely open at the soft launch/ribbon cutting I went to. Add on top of that the classrooms, the greenhouses, the event space, MSU Extension program, the brewpub that will open most likely early next year, and the outdoor vendors, it's WAAYYY better than Lansing's market and on par with some pretty cool markets around the country. I really like all the custom signage at all the vendors. I even like the big white board that Fish Lads is using.

Stopped in for my first visit last Friday afternoon and I'll echo the above statements about the building; it's beautiful - everything I was hoping for and more! I'll be willing to bet the 2nd floor "event" spaces will be the go to spot for gatherings for the foreseeable future. My only complaint was I left with a severe case of "sticker shock" - while the vendors chosen certainly have an outstanding supply of goods, it's not  a place where I could shop except for special occasions and even then, I would have a hard time paying the prices they're asking. $32.00/lb for scallops at the fish place; $52.00/lb for one particular cut of beef at the butcher's. (It probably melts in your mouth but for that kind of money, I could go to The Chop House or Ruth's Chris and not have to worry about doing the dishes.) The selection offered at the deli section of the fresh pasta shop was nothing you couldn't find at D&W and when I asked the person working if the pasta salad I was paying $7.00/lb for was fresh, she said no and went on to say that it wasn't even made on site. I was a regular at Making Thyme when they were on Cherry - their prices have also gone up in the new location. The chocolatier and ice cream shops - great stuff but a limited selection, at best. Almost $4.00 for a croissant? Once again, tried one, it was delicious but I doubt if I'd be stopping by to pick up a couple dozen for an office meeting. And finally, Sweetielicious - I bought one of her pies; a cherry, peach, blueberry combo that was wonderful but it also set me back $25.00!

Don't get me wrong - I've been anxiously waiting for the market since it was first announced and I will go back because I want to see this succeed - I just wish there had been some thought given to those of us whose pockets aren't quite so deep. (I think one of the vendors who got it right are the people from Art of the Table with their wine bar and cheese shop - great selection and price points that didn't make me do a double take.) And, I realize some of the examples I cited were at the very high end of the vendors offerings but those are the numbers many will carry away with them and talk about to their friends and families after they've visited the market.

I don't know what the numbers were at todays Grand Opening festivities - I hope it was a resounding success but I'm afraid that for many, their first visit might also be their last for no other reason than they simply can't afford to shop there.

Edited by jwazzz

Stopped in for my first visit last Friday afternoon and I'll echo the above statements about the building; it's beautiful - everything I was hoping for and more! I'll be willing to bet the 2nd floor "event" spaces will be the go to spot for gatherings for the foreseeable future. My only complaint was I left with a severe case of "sticker shock" - while the vendors chosen certainly have an outstanding supply of goods, it's not  a place where I could shop except for special occasions and even then, I would have a hard time paying the prices they're asking. $32.00/lb for scallops at the fish place; $52.00/lb for one particular cut of beef at the butcher's. (It probably melts in your mouth but for that kind of money, I could go to The Chop House or Ruth's Chris and not have to worry about doing the dishes.) The selection offered at the deli section of the fresh pasta shop was nothing you couldn't find at D&W and when I asked the person working if the pasta salad I was paying $7.00/lb for was fresh, she said no and went on to say that it wasn't even made on site. I was a regular at Making Thyme when they were on Cherry - their prices have also gone up in the new location. The chocolatier and ice cream shops - great stuff but a limited selection, at best. Almost $4.00 for a croissant? Once again, tried one, it was delicious but I doubt if I'd be stopping by to pick up a couple dozen for an office meeting. And finally, Sweetielicious - I bought one of her pies; a cherry, peach, blueberry combo that was wonderful but it also set me back $25.00!

Don't get me wrong - I've been anxiously waiting for the market since it was first announced and I will go back because I want to see this succeed - I just wish there had been some thought given to those of us whose pockets aren't quite so deep. (I think one of the vendors who got it right are the people from Art of the Table with their wine bar and cheese shop - great selection and price points that didn't make me do a double take.) And, I realize some of the examples I cited were at the very high end of the vendors offerings but those are the numbers many will carry away with them and talk about to their friends and families after they've visited the market.

I don't know what the numbers were at todays Grand Opening festivities - I hope it was a resounding success but I'm afraid that for many, their first visit might also be their last for no other reason than they simply can't afford to shop there.

I was feeling the same until someone reminded me that the prices you see there are the "true cost of food." I hadn't really thought of it that way, but they're right.

It was packed! Field and fire will be my favorite vendor. Fantastic ham and cheese crossaint. I'm okay with the prices. I pay McDonald prices for McDonalds quality food. The stuff I had today was significantly better. I think the market will be a huge success.

I had one... OK a couple... as well and they were pretty awesome.  The Mexican food place is called Taco El Cunado.

I would agree with the other posts, the sticker shock factor is pretty large.  I really hope that the vendors can moderate the prices quite a bit to remain competitive with the "I can go somewhere else and get this for 1/2 price" factor.  I was pretty amazed at the prices the Making Thyme Kitchen wanted for some of their simple to-go dishes as well.  I fully understand the convenience factor, but a chicken breast with pine nuts and raisins was $9.95 for a single serving?  Ow.

I think the place will be very successful once the two other restaurants and brew pub arrive, and will certainly be a destination, especially when you get both the outside and inside running at the same time.

I had one... OK a couple... as well and they were pretty awesome.  The Mexican food place is called Taco El Cunado.

I would agree with the other posts, the sticker shock factor is pretty large.  I really hope that the vendors can moderate the prices quite a bit to remain competitive with the "I can go somewhere else and get this for 1/2 price" factor.  I was pretty amazed at the prices the Making Thyme Kitchen wanted for some of their simple to-go dishes as well.  I fully understand the convenience factor, but a chicken breast with pine nuts and raisins was $9.95 for a single serving?  Ow.

I think the place will be very successful once the two other restaurants and brew pub arrive, and will certainly be a destination, especially when you get both the outside and inside running at the same time.

True cost of food. Keep in mind that much of what you buy at Meijer and D&W come from highly subsidized large agricultural operations. And are also filled quite a bit with corn, which is also highly highly subsidized by the Federal government. It's much like the true cost of fuel equation.

Don't get me wrong, we shop at Meijer a lot. But we also buy a lot of our beef and chicken from local operators (and pay quite a premium). We also use Doorganics which delivers local veggies. Figure out a way to fit real food into your budget and you'll be much happier with the taste and how you feel.

True cost of food. Keep in mind that much of what you buy at Meijer and D&W come from highly subsidized large agricultural operations. And are also filled quite a bit with corn, which is also highly highly subsidized by the Federal government. It's much like the true cost of fuel equation.

Don't get me wrong, we shop at Meijer a lot. But we also buy a lot of our beef and chicken from local operators (and pay quite a premium). We also use Doorganics which delivers local veggies. Figure out a way to fit real food into your budget and you'll be much happier with the taste and how you feel.

Excellent point and very accurate.  It comes down to having options, even the high quality ones that tend to be more pricey that the junk food.

Just curious to know if there has been talk about doing any murals on the 131 Wall that runs along side the market?

Even spray paiting a brown earth tone would do wonders.  The naked concrete look is very ugly.

Better yet, landscape it with ivy, etc...

Edited by john_denver

Just curious to know if there has been talk about doing any murals on the 131 Wall that runs along side the market?

Even spray paiting a brown earth tone would do wonders.  The naked concrete look is very ugly.

Better yet, landscape it with ivy, etc...

Mr potty-mouth "tear down 131" posts his comments in 3...2...1...

Seriously, some of us were discussing a clean-up of the Wealthy underpass, and he griped about that too. (On The Salon, not on here)

I thought the same thing. A mural would be nice (or art installation) would be nice on that wall. Is the downtown market inside the boundaries of Art Prize? Maybe a giant airbrushed horse with howling wolves? LOL.

Joe

If they want to contend for the win in ArtPrize, they better draw something big in pencil.  Or, pander to the religious contingent.  That seems to be the lesson of the last few years.

Greedily, I'm not asking for the win, just a cool mural. ;) I the one on the Grand Rapids Community Foundation building. :)

If they want to contend for the win in ArtPrize, they better draw something big in pencil.  Or, pander to the religious contingent.  That seems to be the lesson of the last few years.

Greedily, I'm not asking for the win, just a cool mural. ;) I the one on the Grand Rapids Community Foundation building. :)

There are some serious concerns at the Community Foundation about their mural and the new Orion building going in. However, I think it might be a cool opportunity to create a "mural alley" so that all that work doesn't go to waste. Whether the neighboring property owners and Orion go along with that, I guess would be a good question to ask.