THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the "Heartside" thread, but across the street from the market in the ground floor of the Klingman Lofts, a bar called "Craft Beer Cellars" is looking to open. 

https://www.craftbeercellar.com/franchise-info

Looks like it is more of a Craft Beer store. They require their employees to hold at least one of two different beer tasting certificates in order to work there.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

WAs at the Vintage Market yesterday, and going inside, it seems like there are a few more empty spots from last month. Also it seems like the butcher is still "under development".

Not to say that the filled spaces didnt make up for it in some activity, but it didn't make for a great visual.

Loves moved stalls to be over by their new pizza shop and then the sushi place took over loves old stall. The crepe place just left. Talking to someone who knows the Fish Lads people, it seems like they are just taking their time with the butcher shop and are in no rush.

The two empty stalls are going to be used for a series of pop up shops on the weekends. http://downtownmarketgr.com/news/downtown-market-announces-pop-up-vendor-opportunities-in-market-hall

Edited by Pattmost20

• 4 weeks later...

Saw a Facebook post over the weekend from MooseJaw that they were coming to Grand Rapids.  The only hint they would drop regarding location was that it was "near the market".  Not sure what building they have in mind, but there are some theories around Klingman's.

https://www.facebook.com/moosejaw/photos/a.247264431438.137480.6079241438/10153834542796439/?type=3&theate

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sparty97 said:

Saw a Facebook post over the weekend from MooseJaw that they were coming to Grand Rapids.  The only hint they would drop regarding location was that it was "near the market".  Not sure what building they have in mind, but there are some theories around Klingman's.

https://www.facebook.com/moosejaw/photos/a.247264431438.137480.6079241438/10153834542796439/?type=3&theate

It will be in Klingman Lofts in the corner facing the market. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Moosejaw clothing store? Awesome. 

https://www.facebook.com/moosejaw/?fref=ts

Yes. 99.99999999999999999% sure. 

When we were working on leasing at Klingman for our store (before we signed in East Hills) we were told that the neighbor was going to be an outdoor clothing/gear store with a national presence. We had already guessed Moosejaw and this confirms that is who it would have been. 

31 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Yes. 99.99999999999999999% sure. 

When we were working on leasing at Klingman for our store (before we signed in East Hills) we were told that the neighbor was going to be an outdoor clothing/gear store with a national presence. We had already guessed Moosejaw and this confirms that is who it would have been. 

I'm glad to see Klingman's retail space filling up.  These are nice complements to the Downtown Market.   As I've said before It would be nice to see a new mixed use building on the Spectrum Industries vacant land on Ionia right across from the market. 

GVSUChris, remind me again what you have planned in East Hills?

24 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

We have opened (literally 38 minutes we just opened) Books & Mortar Bookstore on Cherry Street. I might post a few pictures on the East Hills forum later of the opening day. The support from GR has been unreal and we've been overwhelmed by the droves of people offering support! GR is definitely moving towards a sustainable retail scene that we're excited to be a part of. (Total side-note, we just moved  to Grand Rapids from Chicago to do this and we have not regretted the decision once!) 

Awesome!

30 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

We have opened (literally 38 minutes we just opened) Books & Mortar Bookstore on Cherry Street. I might post a few pictures on the East Hills forum later of the opening day. The support from GR has been unreal and we've been overwhelmed by the droves of people offering support! GR is definitely moving towards a sustainable retail scene that we're excited to be a part of. (Total side-note, we just moved  to Grand Rapids from Chicago to do this and we have not regretted the decision once!) 

Congrats and best of luck!!

7 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Congrats and best wishes! Hope to check it out real soon. 

Joe

9 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Yes, congratulations! Saw your bookstore on FB and Instagram getting shared quite a bit. 

Thank you and thank everyone! 

The support has been unreal. Today was just our soft opening and we nearly hit three times our daily sales goal. The crowds were unreal and the social media support has surpassed our imagination. We are very hopeful that Grand Rapids is ready to again support an indie-bookstore selling new books. 

I'll help get this forum back to the topic now by mentioning that the Moosejaw should be pretty good sized as they kept asking for additional space in their build-out plans. My guess would be between 5-7K sq. ft. which is great considering they will be the first real national retail presence downtown. 

Edited by GVSUChris
typo
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Thank you and thank everyone! 

The support has been unreal. Today was just our soft opening and we nearly hit three times our daily sales goal. The crowds were unreal and the social media support has surpassed our imagination. We are very hopeful that Grand Rapids is ready to again support an indie-bookstore selling new books. 

I'll help get this forum back to the topic now by mentioning that the Moosejaw should be pretty good sized as they kept asking for additional space in their build-out plans. My guess would be between 5-7K sq. ft. which is great considering they will be the first real national retail presence downtown. 

Moosejaw put their sign up today on the Klingman Building. Saw it on Amy Ruis' Facebook. 

15 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

It's great that they chose this location, and it seems like a location that should succeed, but it reality, I think they might do better in a Breton Village type setting when all is said and done.  I do hope it goes well, and we will visit when in town.

I think it'll do well. Hope there's some synergy (ugh, I hate that word) between the Market and Moosejaw. The Craft Beer store could be a good fit too.

Joe

7 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

I hope the permanent location,  should it open,  go more towards the heart of downtown.  More retail downtown to create more foot traffic and get more people downtown for shopping.

From what I've read, it appears that Moosejaw is investing more into this space than they normally would for a pop-up.  If it works out I doubt that they would move.

11 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

I hope the permanent location,  should it open,  go more towards the heart of downtown.  More retail downtown to create more foot traffic and get more people downtown for shopping.

I'm honestly thinking it will be better where it is with all of the controversy about parking.

Much of the parking around the Market is still free-ish especially further to the south. It will at least help in getting more casual shoppers to patronize the location if they know they dont have to feed a meter, park too far away, or park in an expensive lot.

If that empty lot across the street ever gets developed into more mixed-use, it will only help the foot traffic, I would think.

• Like 1