THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

Thanks Dad - wonder why they are keeping things under wraps? Also, wonder if they eliminated the artists studios, and rooftop garden? Can't beat the exposure, being next to 131.

I don't know that their expressly keeping things under wraps. I just haven't seen anything, even at the unveiling of. I checked Design Plus' website and nothing.

Thanks Dad - wonder why they are keeping things under wraps? Also, wonder if they eliminated the artists studios, and rooftop garden? Can't beat the exposure, being next to 131.

In the site plan I see what looks like 6 different stairwells; two of them out in public areas. Seems like the keeping of such is a good possibility. There's definitely more to the building than the site plan shows, at least.

• 1 month later...

I like the green houses, it will be a nice visual from 131. It also appears that there is second floor outdoor dining at the NE corner? That could be nice. All and all, seems an appropriate design given its location. It's my understanding that they will demolish everything on that site and start from scratch. Can't wait to hear more news!

New renderings, and I hear there will be an update in tomorrow's Rapid Growth (so I hear). It looks huge. I like its simplistic design and how it compliments all the factory warehouses across the street. 6192781770_7c5712edc0_o.jpg6192778418_bae684ccb9_o.jpg6192261099_2a457324f2_o.jpg6192261065_8c031bbc84_o.jpg

I was kind of disappointed when I heard they were going to tear down the existing building. I think I feared what might go in its place. However, this looks pretty great if they could pull it off like these drawings. I hope the fundraising goes well so the value-engineering knife doesn't cut too deep.

Nice looking concept. Recently I was in Philadelphia and they have a long-standing farmers and artisans market located right next to the convention center. That place was packed every day that I was there. That led me to think that something like this would be great if it was adjacent to DeVos Place (via a short walk). Almost everyone at the convention center in Philly walked over to get some great food and buy local items during lunch and after sessions.

Nice looking concept. Recently I was in Philadelphia and they have a long-standing farmers and artisans market located right next to the convention center. That place was packed every day that I was there. That led me to think that something like this would be great if it was adjacent to DeVos Place (via a short walk). Almost everyone at the convention center in Philly walked over to get some great food and buy local items during lunch and after sessions.

this is only a 10-12 min brisk walk...you don't think as many people will go for that? We are encouraging them to get some exercise. :) So they can burn off what they eat.

I like the renderings, especially the rooftop greenhouses. I'm happy they're concentrating most of the parking on the west side (US 131) of the site, though I'm not sure how I feel about the small lot underneath the Wealthy Street overpass. I imagine much of the walking traffic will be from the north / Ionia and Heartside Park is adjacent to the proposed lot; seems like a better connection could be made between those land uses. Also, between street parking and nearby parking facilities (Commerce & Cherry garage, arena lots, Diocese lots and garage) I think a parking plan will be easy to create. And encouraging folks to park and walk through Heartside will be great for the neighborhood. Heck, if it were up to me I'd trim a little more parking from the site plan.

On a different note, it's too bad the billboards will remain on site!

I like the renderings, especially the rooftop greenhouses. I'm happy they're concentrating most of the parking on the west side (US 131) of the site, though I'm not sure how I feel about the small lot underneath the Wealthy Street overpass. I imagine much of the walking traffic will be from the north / Ionia and Heartside Park is adjacent to the proposed lot; seems like a better connection could be made between those land uses. Also, between street parking and nearby parking facilities (Commerce & Cherry garage, arena lots, Diocese lots and garage) I think a parking plan will be easy to create. And encouraging folks to park and walk through Heartside will be great for the neighborhood. Heck, if it were up to me I'd trim a little more parking from the site plan.

Unless they plan on making the vendors park somewhere else, a good portion of that parking will be used by the vendors who have just trucked in produce or other goods. In Ann Arbor and Detroit's Eastern Market anyways, the vendors usually back into one of the spots around the shed, and set up their table right off the back of their vehicle.

I gotta believe there's enough on-street parking in that area to accommodate market visitors. Especially on weekends when most of those businesses in the area (the few there are) aren't running.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r4s5sf7vtr1z&lvl=17&dir=0&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

What I don't know is how pedestrian friendly is the crossing over 131 from the ITP station. Biking it, I know it's pretty crappy. The Wealthy overpass is supposed to be rebuilt, maybe that can be timed with the market opening?

Speaking of parking, what's going on with the 5 accessible parking spaces with no access aisles between them? Maybe this plan is still more conceptual, but something like that should be considered a given.

It's not required, but their really should also be a ramp from the market shed up to the main entrance, rather than forcing people to go all the way down to the end of the terrace to get from one to the other.

Edited by andrew.w

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...