THE Downtown Market updates

GRDadof3

That's true. Life isn't any fun without a few dreamers. If this works, I will be elated. With any luck, construction could spread to the old Klingman's building, and then to Division and up that Wealthy St. corridor, which has been sadly neglected. I've always thought that with all of the hospital workers, Catholic Central and Diocese traffic, EGR traffic, Hill traffic, etc., something ought to be able to work in that area (with some pandhandling management). Strangely, though, nothing has so far. If this urban market is actually capable of attracting people with money to spend, perhaps some of that could change. There is developable land along Wealthy all the way to Prospect, with the likely exception of the Mary Free Bed ramp. MFB has a ton of surface lots too, but those might be more negotiable if they got the right price. If something happens further to the east to make that go, long term, I could see a vehicle/ped tunnel under 131 to reinvigorate the old Wealthy spur by connecting it through to Century, and redeveloping the Baker and Klingman buildings. Pie in the sky, right? Tieing this together with the ICCF Division/Wealthy thread, there really is about 45 acres of land east of 131, much of it vacant or underutilized, within a few blocks. In terms of proximity to highways, people and potential adequate parking, there isn't much else a whole lot better. ICCF has the right idea buying all of the bulldozer houses down through to Buckley. Long term, I could see the urban market and ICCF project spurring a retail corridor--much more so than downtown. Plenty of room around here for adequate surface lots behind the buildings.

I think the Baker building will actually see some life once the market gets closer to opening. It's already gone through multiple stages of approvals for historic status. Probably looking for financing...

The Klingman's Building has...issues. But anyone with about $700,000 to put toward keeping the NW corner from sinking into oblivion, it's a really really cool footprint layout. And at a great price, last I saw.

Mary Free Bed is about to turn one of their surface lots, where Schnitzelbank used to be, into quite a large expansion project soon.

I visited the Eastern Market in Detroit on Friday, and if even half of the energy around that market can be created in the surrounding properties at GR's Downtown Market, that would be pretty cool. And the place wasn't even open yet (they get 40,000 visitors on a typical Saturday). The whole block around the 6 sheds (?) consists of small eateries and shops.

7116637537_430f720b3a_z.jpg

7116637393_689570f851_z.jpg

7116637301_9545606d17_z.jpg

Designed right, the urban market will be a smashing success. My concern, however, is that containing the project in a brand new building will eliminate the edgy urban atmosphere that makes most other successful markets a success (Philadelphia, Toronto, Seattle, Vancouver, San Fran) and thus be a bit contrived feeling.

If the charm is value engineered out, the project may go the way of the City Center.

Regarding building over 131, forget the pedestrian bridge or the tunnel. Let's build an icon and build an aerial gandola! Connect the market, bus station, and GVSU.

See: portlandtram.org/

• Like 1

Designed right, the urban market will be a smashing success. My concern, however, is that containing the project in a brand new building will eliminate the edgy urban atmosphere that makes most other successful markets a success (Philadelphia, Toronto, Seattle, Vancouver, San Fran) and thus be a bit contrived feeling.

If the charm is value engineered out, the project may go the way of the City Center.

Regarding building over 131, forget the pedestrian bridge or the tunnel. Let's build an icon and build an aerial gandola! Connect the market, bus station, and GVSU.

See: portlandtram.org/

Ooooh, a spur on the funicular! Love it!!

Funiculi funicula funiculi funiculaaaa! 'Ncoppa jamme ja funiculi funiculaaaa!

Didn't think I'd be saying that the idea of burying all of 131 was more down to earth..

Pun intended? A gandola would be cheaper than a tunnel: several ornate utility poles, cables, a generator, 4 landing pads, and some trams. Could be wrapped up in 3 months.

I wish I could attend this: http://www.design-plus.com/news/ I'm sure someone here will, and report back.

This link includes a rendering that I had not seen before.

Of the downtown market? I think that's an old rendering, as it looks like the taller old building is still included (that has been knocked down in later plans).

When is the market expected to open? I'm really excited for this. I used to live in Seattle and would love a Pike Place Market here.

Curious, I sifted through this thread from its start. What an interesting blast from the past. No answer for ya, though.

ETA: this article suggests "spring 2013."

The rebuilt Fulton FM opens on Saturday (Cinco de Mayo).

Edited by Veloise

When is the market expected to open? I'm really excited for this. I used to live in Seattle and would love a Pike Place Market here.

At the AIA event at Wealthy Theater last night, Craig Nicely gave a planned opening date of July 1, 2013.

A couple other interesting tidbits from his talk off the top of my head:

--They are saying they will have the first in the nation experimental kitchen designed for children.

--They have already dug the geothermal wells which are expected to provide for 75+% of the heating and cooling needs of the project.

--They salvaged wood beams from the Sonneveldt produce building that was torn down that will be reused for the beams in the outdoor market canopy and the 2nd story outdoor deck/eating area sun canopy.

Edited by fotoman311
  • Like 1

This would be brilliant: Rosie's Diner relocated to the INSIDE of the new Downtown Market, fully operational. It'd be great for marketing to visitors, like Henry Ford Museum style.

http://www.mlive.com...ner_come_1.html

Wonder if the ceiling heights in the new market would be tall enough...

Now that would be fun! I hope the diner stays in the Grand Rapids area.

This would be brilliant: Rosie's Diner relocated to the INSIDE of the new Downtown Market, fully operational. It'd be great for marketing to visitors, like Henry Ford Museum style.

http://www.mlive.com...ner_come_1.html

Wonder if the ceiling heights in the new market would be tall enough...

Maybe its time for you to get out of the GR speculation biz and into the real life foray of DT business, dad...

• 1 month later...