• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.
UrbanFuture

Latta Arcade/Brevard Court

134 posts in this topic

I just walked past valhalla last night and was saddened that it was boarded up, good to hear they're just renovating!

7 hours ago, ah59396 said:

UPDATE:

Hooligans has super duper upgraded the interior of the bar.  For one thing, the interior side of their new store face is a nice stained wood, including places to rest your drinks.  They got rid of their broken four tops and replaced them with corrugated steel.  Most importantly, they ripped out the back booth and replaced it with A SPIRAL STAIRCASE, that now takes you to the upstairs bar.  It's really awesome.

Valhalla is currently closed through 2/16 for full-scale renovations.  Knowing KP and his crew, I expect the changes to be significant.

Zablongs (or however you spell it) is open and delicious.  It really changes the dynamic of the alley.  It's very bright inside and kinda brightens up the whole alley way.  They also have far better outdoor seating than the standard crappy old iron mesh table and chairs that have been there since time began.

I love the hooligans renovations and was slightly worried when I saw Valhalla boarded up but I figured it was just renovations (that place does the best business of anything in BC). KP and crew REALLY know what they are doing and definitely took Hooligans to the next level above disgusting dive. I will say, I HATE the metal tables as the plating causes a beer to sit unstable (many-a-spills). 

Brevard Court is really in a new era of awesome....another spot has come available to rent. Seems they're marketing it more towards office but I am definitely hoping for another bar. 

As soon as I saw "boarded up," I was worried. But for naught. Those Norwegian meatballs at killer. This just reminds me that it's been too long since I've been there for a meatball lunch coma.

19 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Is there a shoe shine artist in Latta, up or down?

Inside, downstairs.....not outside in Brevard Court.

13 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Is there a shoe shine artist in Latta, up or down?

Shoe shine artist?  LOL!  I used to be referred to as a shoe shine boy. What would Rembrandt say? I guess I should move to NoDa? Sorry, I just saw some humor in it.

Edited by caterpillar2
1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

Shoe shine artist?  LOL!  I used to be referred to as a shoe shine boy. What would Rembrandt say? I guess I should move to NoDa? Sorry, I just saw some humor in it.

Subway has sandwich artists.  The world is your canvas, caterpillar2.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, ah59396 said:

Subway has sandwich artists.  The world is your canvas, caterpillar2.

Good to know. Thanks. I'm going to phone my friend that has a paving company and give him the good news. He qualifies as a asphalt artist. LOL!

2 people like this

Went to Latta today. He is not there. "Sick" is the named reason.

I have been to shoe repair businesses for polishing and the shoes were manhandled with a machine, seams and stitching ignored and globs of residue. The specialty, single purpose experienced man is best. I say "artist". May you each give reason for others to call you an artist within your field.

1 person likes this

Hey, I just got back from snowy Chicago a few days ago and the shoe shine place in the airport made my salt-covered, scuffed dress shoes look better than new. I'd call them an artist for that transformation.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:03 AM, Jayvee said:

Hello fellow Brevard Court lovers. New speakeasy style cocktail bar coming to the upstairs of Belfast Mill. So. Much. Potential. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/43821/the-cotton-room-belfast-mill/

The Sam Adams Boston Ale signs seem out of place. I would put Guinness, Jamison's, or even OMB signs. If it is Speakeasy style, Dixie Beer or even PBR would be more appropriate than Sam Adams. Just my opinion.

9 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

The Sam Adams Boston Ale signs seem out of place. I would put Guinness, Jamison's, or even OMB signs. If it is Speakeasy style, Dixie Beer or even PBR would be more appropriate than Sam Adams. Just my opinion.

Those are all going away. This is leftover from Belfast. The pictures in the article are from it being very much a work in progress 

1 person likes this

Looks like work has re-started on the new Crisp spot in the old Quizno's space.  Or something.

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Looks like work has re-started on the new Crisp spot in the old Quizno's space.  Or something.

Yeah there was some issue with the contract, then permits so work was halted. It's pretty close to opening now though. Week or two. 

I have been in the arcade three times in the past few weeks during lunch and Crisp is crowded with a line out the door and down the arcade.

On April 1, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Jayvee said:

Those are all going away. This is leftover from Belfast. The pictures in the article are from it being very much a work in progress 

The work is coming along very nicely. Love the entire courtyard. Actually had my wedding reception in Belfast and Hooligans upstairs spaces a couple summers ago.

On April 13, 2016 at 8:22 PM, joshuas said:

Actually had my wedding reception in Belfast and Hooligans upstairs spaces a couple summers ago.

That is such an awesome idea. We our engagement photos in some uptown parks and then ended it up with photos in Brevard Court, a few even inside Hooligan's. That had to be a blast...and probably a lot cheaper than what paid at a hotel.

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/46995/cotton-mill-belfast-mill-opens-weekend/

heres a better look at the cotton room. Very happy with the final result. It's exactly what you'd imagine a cocktail bar at brevard court to be 

Everything looks great and the cocktail list has an interesting mix, but that Manhattan is inexplicably expensive given then ingredients. There are numerous other, more elevated versions with higher end bourbon around town for $10-12. Its not like its going to keep me from going but it did jump out as odd.

5 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

Everything looks great and the cocktail list has an interesting mix, but that Manhattan is inexplicably expensive given then ingredients. There are numerous other, more elevated versions with higher end bourbon around town for $10-12. Its not like its going to keep me from going but it did jump out as odd.

Thought the exact same thing. And forgot to ask why while I was there. 

The hibiscus BLT is freaking amazing. I see this place doing really well once word gets out. 

Two things:  1) Nefelie's added an arbor/pergola (pictured below), and 2) Zablong is killing it....super busy (not pictured below).

20160428_115049_zpsfwdcflbr.jpg

1 person likes this

^ Carpenter bees are going to love that unfinished wood. Hope they paint or stain it. 

Brevard Court might be reaching capacity at this point.  It was left alone for so long, and now the influx of development has spurred a little competition, and this area is grown up a lot in regard to patronage.  Used to be an afterthought for the most part.