Latta Arcade/Brevard Court

1 hour ago, alb1no panther said:

Brevard Court might be reaching capacity at this point.  It was left alone for so long, and now the influx of development has spurred a little competition, and this area is grown up a lot in regard to patronage.  Used to be an afterthought for the most part.

Yeah it is pretty busy or at least steady all the time now. I think this is a great thing because people will start to look to the (sadly few) other older spaces and buildings uptown waiting to be renovated and reopened. The building next to Green's Lunch is already in progress but it makes me hopeful that we'll finally see movement at the 5th st firehouse, some spaces near Graham and Trade, maybe even the buildings across from the Arena.

7 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

Yeah it is pretty busy or at least steady all the time now. I think this is a great thing because people will start to look to the (sadly few) other older spaces and buildings uptown waiting to be renovated and reopened. The building next to Green's Lunch is already in progress but it makes me hopeful that we'll finally see movement at the 5th st firehouse, some spaces near Graham and Trade, maybe even the buildings across from the Arena.

Sold by Ryan Kalil to Charles Johnson.  Supposed to be a restaurant.  Unless legitimate developers gets their hands on it, I don't see much happening to it.  

Edited by alb1no panther

1 minute ago, Jayvee said:

CJ has begun the permit process. There's movement here. 

yeah i've seen design plans, too.  then when he was cut, i figured that was the death nail.  all athletes think bc they have money they can buy land and build a business; none really can.  so i'm still a bit skeptical.  

27 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

yeah i've seen design plans, too.  then when he was cut, i figured that was the death nail.  all athletes think bc they have money they can buy land and build a business; none really can.  so i'm still a bit skeptical.  

He was cut, then signed back. He lives here.

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

He was cut, then signed back. He lives here.

oh yeah i know.  forgot to add that extra tidbit.  (i know my panthers, to wit, the screen name.) even so, i'm still skeptical . . . 

chuck is a great person, but that doesn't make him a great entrepreneur.

Edited by alb1no panther

13 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

oh yeah i know.  forgot to add that extra tidbit.  (i know my panthers, to wit, the screen name.) even so, i'm still skeptical . . . 

chuck is a great person, but that doesn't make him a great entrepreneur.

At this point I don't care.  Let someone at least blow the money to at least get the building current.  Something will survive in that spot.  I am sure he has investors and he personally has capital in hand to get the project off the ground. 

I've seen a bunch of pictures of the inside from an acquaintance that was *this* close to turning it into a Duckworth's type taphouse (back when there was only Park Rd Ducks) and man the inside was rough...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

I've seen a bunch of pictures of the inside from an acquaintance that was *this* close to turning it into a Duckworth's type taphouse (back when there was only Park Rd Ducks) and man the inside was rough...

My office almost moved in there shortly after the coffee house idea fell through, and the upfit cost was a little too much to swallow. I'm sure a restaurant or bar is even more expensive.

I'm kind of glad that didn't happen because I'd be a pariah around here if I mentioned I was any part of making that building an office instead of retail use! 

58 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

At this point I don't care.  Let someone at least blow the money to at least get the building current.  Something will survive in that spot.  I am sure he has investors and he personally has capital in hand to get the project off the ground. 

I will say that the concept CJ posted looked REALLY nice.  

As far as upfitting the building, does the City not provide subsidies for purchasing and renovating historic structures like this?  Any amount however small would make sense and encourage investment and preservation.

On April 28, 2016 at 1:02 PM, grodney said:

Two things:  1) Nefelie's added an arbor/pergola (pictured below), and 2) Zablong is killing it....super busy (not pictured below).

20160428_115049_zpsfwdcflbr.jpg

Stopped at Zablongs for dinner before the Knights game...dammmmmn that's good stuff! Might be the best pizza deal in town! Loved it and will most certainly go back. Also daughter approved! 

image.jpeg

15 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Stopped at Zablongs for dinner before the Knights game...dammmmmn that's good stuff! Might be the best pizza deal in town! Loved it and will most certainly go back. Also daughter approved! 

image.jpeg

Any chance that is Italian sausage with onions and sweet peppers on that pizza? This southerner loves NY style pizza with those sweet peppers and I can't ever find them down here (admittedly I haven't made it a top priority).

On April 30, 2016 at 11:06 AM, jednc said:

Any chance that is Italian sausage with onions and sweet peppers on that pizza? This southerner loves NY style pizza with those sweet peppers and I can't ever find them down here (admittedly I haven't made it a top priority).

It was their "farm hand" with sausage (and I added Ghost pepper salami)! Oh my! This one didn't have onions and peppers though but you can definitely make one up there.

• Like 2

Aaaaaaand the pergola at Nefelie's is gone now.  Unapproved structure?

Also, the green awning on French Quarter is gone.  I don't know if that change is permanent or not, but I personally think it looks a heck of a lot better without it.

Old pic of awning and pergola:imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fi40.phot

1 minute ago, grodney said:

Aaaaaaand the pergola at Nefelie's is gone now.  Unapproved structure?

Also, the green awning on French Quarter is gone.  I don't know if that change is permanent or not, but I personally think it looks a heck of a lot better without it.

Old pic of awning and pergola:imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fi40.phot

Looks like it was taken out on the 3rd of May. I bet its getting a refresh .Was certainly looking dingy. 

On 5/9/2016 at 0:20 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Looks like it was taken out on the 3rd of May. I bet its getting a refresh .Was certainly looking dingy. 

I don't know....it might be gone for good....new little blue awnings on the 2nd level.  Compare today to street view from 1 year ago.

20160510_120805_zpsu8fxbbub.jpg

fq_zpskndqs6vv.jpg

3 minutes ago, grodney said:

I don't know....it might be gone for good....new little blue awnings on the 2nd level.  Compare today to street view from 1 year ago.

20160510_120805_zpsu8fxbbub.jpg

fq_zpskndqs6vv.jpg

I actually like it way better. Didn't even know those pretty cornerstones were there. so many architectural features. I love Brevard Court.

Question for everyone. If my wife and I were going to have lunch anywhere uptown on Friday afternoon. Where should we go??? People are welcome to join as well.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Question for everyone. If my wife and I were going to have lunch anywhere uptown on Friday afternoon. Where should we go??? 

Zablong (don't get the dairy-free "cheese") taken to Bearden....or sit in Brevard Court with a beer from QCBC if you're up for taking one place's food/drink to another place's table (no offense to InSouthPark and his daughter!).  This is assuming no rain, which doesn't currently look like a given.

Lola's -- but they're only open until 3pm.  Chicken fried steak, collards, dirty rice, jalapeno corn bread.

Queen City Q -- The brisket was horrible last time I was there, but they're local and they boycott big beer.

Just now, grodney said:

Zablong (don't get the dairy-free "cheese") taken to Bearden....or sit in Brevard Court with a beer from QCBC if you're up for taking one place's food/drink to another place's table (no offense to InSouthPark and his daughter!).  This is assuming no rain, which doesn't currently look like a given.

Lola's -- but they're only open until 3pm.  Chicken fried steak, collards, dirty rice, jalapeno corn bread.

Queen City Q -- The brisket was horrible last time I was there, but they're local and they boycott big beer.

Thanks maybe I'll try Zablong and grab a beer at QCBC. I'm only in town till like 1, so 3pm at Lola's wouldn't be a problem either, lol. Just going to visit the Observer Newsroom and then drive up to Blowing Rock. 

2 hours ago, grodney said:

Zablong (don't get the dairy-free "cheese") taken to Bearden....or sit in Brevard Court with a beer from QCBC if you're up for taking one place's food/drink to another place's table (no offense to InSouthPark and his daughter!).

Ha!  There wasn't a server for the patio tables so I didn't feel bad at all (I mean I was an beer buying customer and all).  I really liked both (the pizza at Zablong and beer list at QCBC) so they both will get my repeat business.    

Last time I went to French Quarter they had changed to greek food mainly... still the case? (I work in Boston now)  Two greek places side by side seems an interesting choice.  If they keep the green awning off they should at least put an old looking sign above the door.  

• 3 weeks later...