Latta Arcade/Brevard Court

25 minutes ago, grodney said:

Yeah agree the blue isn't bad.  I see they re-did their (green) door.  Maybe they'll also do something with the drab green panels under the windows.

Yeah they are. Everyone is (and has been) stepping their game up due to the MONSTER influx in business over there. It's all amazing to see. Brevard Court is the best

Who is the correct person/agency to bother in order to get a crosswalk across Tryon from Latta Arcade to whatever the plaza in front of Mimosa is called?  With Zablong and Crisp continuing to kill it, along with Rush and several others, the ped traffic across there is bigger than ever -- even without the crosswalk.  

7 minutes ago, grodney said:

Who is the correct person/agency to bother in order to get a crosswalk across Tryon from Latta Arcade to whatever the plaza in front of Mimosa is called?  With Zablong and Crisp continuing to kill it, along with Rush and several others, the ped traffic across there is bigger than ever -- even without the crosswalk.  

CDOT is a good place to start (704) 336-4119. That actually is a good crusade to run. I don't know how far you'll get but DEFINITELY use the safety card.

12 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

CDOT is a good place to start (704) 336-4119. That actually is a good crusade to run. I don't know how far you'll get but DEFINITELY use the safety card.

Cool, thanks.  Tweeting Charlotte CCP and maybe they'll run the crusade for me.  If not, I'll make the call.  And yes, safety talks, for sure.

I would recommend contacting CDOT AND copying the same message to the city council members over that location. I would let all parties know who you copied on the message. In this case, Tryon is the border between two districts - Al Austin & Patsy Kinsey. 

Some years ago I got some yield to pedestrians signage put up at 3rd and 277 with emails to CDOT and Patsy. I think for that I also included NCDOT, but it ultimately stayed local. The email included the logic behind the sign, my own experiences crossing that intersection, and referenced the greenway crossings and city's overall goals in that area. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2016 at 8:26 AM, tozmervo said:

I would recommend contacting CDOT AND copying the same message to the city council members over that location. I would let all parties know who you copied on the message. In this case, Tryon is the border between two districts - Al Austin & Patsy Kinsey. 

I wrote to Angela Berry (listed as " Traffic Safety, ITS & Special Projects Section Manager  " in Engineering and Operations) and Al and Patsy.  Got a reply from Angela, and she also copied Patsy, Al, and 3 new names Doreen Szymanski, Debbie Smith ( Engineering & Operations Assistant Division Manager ), and Scott Curry.  Her reply says that CDOT is currently evaluating this location (across Tryon from Latta Arcade) for a marked crosswalk.  They're looking into ADA requirements as well as access provided by the current driveway cut, and she mentions if they do a crosswalk it will require some construction and some utility relocation work.

Edited by grodney
fixing a typo

19 minutes ago, grodney said:

Got a response from Councilman Austin regarding the crosswalk.  He said he agreed and mentioned the popularity of the area increasing.  He also said "Staff let's make this happen before someone gets hurt.".  Excellent.

Wow, I am rather surprised by this positive response from people. Problem is, this is gonna be relatively expensive and I don't see anyone doing anything until someone does get hurt.

25 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Wow, I am rather surprised by this positive response from people. Problem is, this is gonna be relatively expensive and I don't see anyone doing anything until someone does get hurt.

Ahhh, but now there's a public e-mail trail with the public saying it's a safety issue and a councilman urging staff to get on it before somebody gets hurt.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, grodney said:

Salsarita's at Latta Arcade is permanently closed.....any scoop (or dreams/wishes) on what is next for this space?

On it. Northwood Retail won't comment but I think they landed a great tenant. That Salsarita's made a ish ton of money and this is the primest of prime locations. THey wouldn't move on from Salsarita's unless it was a big deal. I expect a chain, but a cool chain

On 6/21/2016 at 7:21 AM, grodney said:

Salsarita's at Latta Arcade is permanently closed.....any scoop (or dreams/wishes) on what is next for this space?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article86247827.html

Potbelly Sandwich Works will open its first Charlotte location uptown in the space formerly occupied by Salsarita’s, which recently closed.

Edited by Crown

10 minutes ago, HopHead said:

A national food chain replaces a locally based food chain. How Charlotte of them..

Oh stop. Salsaritas 1. Isn't that good 2. There's another one in uptown 3. Wasn't open past lunch hours. So it hardly served a purpose  

Beyond that potbelly is an amazing chain and one that's pretty universally loved in every market they are in. 

Think about it this way. You have a wells exec in for the week from NYC. They love potbelly. They go to potbelly Monday, and think wow that was a cool area. They go there and hit the local places the next day or perhaps even the remainder of the week. This will be a VERY common use case  

Potbelly is big enough to draw in. Infinitely more valuable than a sub standard Mexican "local" chain. Plus they'll likely have awesome signage, a cool store front/interior and be open until at least 9 or 10. Helping to expand uptown Charlotte's hours beyond 5pm for non bars. 

Edited by Jayvee

1 minute ago, Jayvee said:

Oh stop. Salsaritas 1. Isn't that good 2. There's another one in uptown 3. Wasn't open past lunch hours. So it hardly served a purpose  

Beyond that potbelly is an amazing chain and one that's pretty universally loved in every market they are in. 

Think about it this way. You have a wells exec in for the week from NYC. They love potbelly. They go to potbelly Monday, and think wow that was a cool area. They go there and hit the local places the next day or perhaps even the remainder of the week. This will be a VERY common use case  

Potbelly is big enough to draw in. Infinitely more valuable than a sub standard Mexican "local" chain. Plus they'll likely have awesome signage, a cool store front/interior and be open until at least 9 or 10. Helping to expand uptown Charlotte's hours beyond 5pm for non bars. 

There is definitely a place for the trendier chains in uptown. With the price of the space fronting Tryon, and the format of the store, it was either going to be a Pot Belly or a Chipotle. I had heard about Shake Shack looking uptown, until HB2 happened. Then they came out and said they would never do business in NC. 

2 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Think about it this way. You have a wells exec in for the week from NYC. They love potbelly. They go to potbelly Monday, and think wow that was a cool area. They go there and hit the local chains the next day or perhaps even the remainder of the week. Potbelly is big enough to draw in. Infinitely more valuable than a sub standard Mexican "local" chain. 

I have to agree. I always thought of Salsaritas as inferior to every other casual mexican chain so I never cared that they were local, and its not like their locations give off any local or small business charm. I've never been to a Potbelly's but one look at the menu makes me think they'll do well here, and I especially love that they have breakfast sandwiches.