Latta Arcade/Brevard Court

17 hours ago, grodney said:

QCBC now has Breakfast Burritos every day!  Intrigued, I stopped in to ask what time they open.  11am weekdays.  Goddam millennials. 

IMG_20190429_143530.jpg

Is that their only breakfast item and it's only available at 11? I'm with RDF, that's lunchtime (dinnertime for you hardcore southerners) cause I'm eating my breakfast 6 hours earlier. 

• Haha 2

• 10 months later...

• 11 months later...

This comment was in the Vantage Thread and I responded to it.  Some interpreted that I meant the Vantage garage:

Unlikely to happen, but a huge fantasy of mine is to see the parking garages next to Brevard Court torn down, and turned into the Brevard Court Expansion/Extension!  Pub-feeling entertainment district adjacent to Romare Bearden, and not just a party alley-way.

The parking garage on the corner of MLK Jr and S Church was constructed with a flat first floor that could be turned into shops if so desired.  That was my point.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Random news from Latta Arcade.....Fujiyama is closed as-of yesterday.......the pizza place (Pie in the Sky) is moving outside to Brevard Court as-of Oct 1......there's a new-ish hot dog place called "Hot Dogs", at least according the vinyl signs they have hung up behind the counter and in the window.

Fujiyama seemed busy the few times I've walked through this year.  The Pizza place does a banging business......I wonder which space they're moving into.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, grodney said:

Random news from Latta Arcade.....Fujiyama is closed as-of yesterday.......the pizza place (Pie in the Sky) is moving outside to Brevard Court as-of Oct 1......there's a new-ish hot dog place called "Hot Dogs", at least according the vinyl signs they have hung up behind the counter and in the window.

Fujiyama seemed busy the few times I've walked through this year.  The Pizza place does a banging business......I wonder which space they're moving into.  

Fujiyama is being replaced by the Sam Hart concept, Pie in the Sky is out yeah but there is going to be another pizza place called Woodfired Pizza and the hot dog place will EVENTUALLY have burgers too and it's called BFF and is from the owner of Crisp.

Edited by CLTProductions
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Wenworth and Fenn bakery closing their Latta Arcade location after 9 months to focus on Camp North End. The closure is getting a good amount of press about foot traffic being down in Uptown and renovations to the arcade being delayed. The bakery only had daily sales of about $200. Some of this is largely business fundamentals, the margin on a bakery, spoilage, and the season (limited indoor seating at Latta so you'd have to pick up the food and go since sitting at the park is cold). 

I do think for small businesses especially, Uptown is a hard submarket being so dependent on office workers who have a narrow window where they eat, like to order ahead, and tend to have regular routines / go to the same place to reduce decision fatigue for lunch time. You are competing in the lunch rush with chain takeout restaurants with apps that can text you when your order is ready, et. to efficiently grab your meal... and then it is pretty silent. Uptown doesn't draw in stay at home parents, retirees, people that don't work Uptown and have the day off, et... to fill the non-lunch rush hours. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article285259942.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/02/09/wentworth-fenn-sam-ward-scratch-bakery-restaurant.html

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Wenworth and Fenn bakery closing their Latta Arcade location after 9 months to focus on Camp North End. The closure is getting a good amount of press about foot traffic being down in Uptown and renovations to the arcade being delayed. The bakery only had daily sales of about $200. Some of this is largely business fundamentals, the margin on a bakery, spoilage, and the season (limited indoor seating at Latta so you'd have to pick up the food and go since sitting at the park is cold). 

I do think for small businesses especially, Uptown is a hard submarket being so dependent on office workers who have a narrow window where they eat, like to order ahead, and tend to have regular routines / go to the same place to reduce decision fatigue for lunch time. You are competing in the lunch rush with chain takeout restaurants with apps that can text you when your order is ready, et. to efficiently grab your meal... and then it is pretty silent. Uptown doesn't draw in stay at home parents, retirees, people that don't work Uptown and have the day off, et... to fill the non-lunch rush hours. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article285259942.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/02/09/wentworth-fenn-sam-ward-scratch-bakery-restaurant.html

I think this was always a bad choice for W&F, it never made sense with how Uptown works, I don't think it closing is an indictment of Uptown or foot traffic, more as you alluded to in bad business decision making.

• Thanks 1

Anything that is or not happening in Uptown Charlotte is more an indictment of the socially and culturally tonedeafness of Charlotte City Center Partners, which is basically a community/business improvement association with another phrase. CID/BIDs are supposed to be nimble and quick to shift with the tide of the regional cultural habits that the larger jurisdiction government entities cannot do due to bureaucratic procedures. Uptown is now the region's largest activity center.  It's not only a hub for office & institutional uses, it must have more residental, hotel, variety of ground-level commercial uses from smaller-format general retail stores to nightlife restaurant/lounges that stay open until 2am, and cultural amenities that accommodate a wide range of visitors (sic, a regional aquarium and ecology museum). 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1