Rumors

NYCJSW

I heard from two people that an upscale dinner theater type operation might be eyeing the old Cheesecake Bistro spot at Stony Point Mall. They would take over a few additional spots as well and it would be a high end facility. A company that has several of these across the country would be running it. I heard the company was out of Florida and found http://www.ipicentertainment.com/bayshoreLocation.html but I'm not sure if they are the one's or how solid this project is. It would be great for Stony Point and would bring in the foot traffic they need.

I think this is more of a bar and movie theater concept rather than a dinner/theater with performers etc. Apparently movie theater where you can drink are growing fast. We will see if it happens.

I thought this would be a good thread to start.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can add to the Ukrops rumor is that they are having a hard time and the company has lost a lot of its luster. They also have some difficult decisions to make because not being opened on Sunday is really hurting them. Also, the high end smaller grocery stores that have entered the market are stealing their high margin business. Ukrops which used to be the high end grocery store is now in the middle = no man's land. They don't have the best service and don't have good prices. Trying to save on labor has only eroded their services at a faster rate.

So I believe the Harris Teeter rumor. They have already have a good market in NoVa and being a NC company Richmond would seem logical.

That would be a shame if Ukrops was sold... I like HT, but Ukrops is such an iconic Richmond thing. I remember growing up as a kid and always going there during the summer and getting that frozen yogurt after playing baseball with my friends (something to be said for riding your bike to the Sycamore Square location back in the late 80s). The pizzas with the whole tomatoes in the sauce were oh so good too...

This is a neat idea, thanks NYCJSW

The Stony Point rumor is certainly interesting. A concept like you mention could certainly drive more traffic in the mall. Some of the other components of the ipic entertainment concept (like the bowling), I'd like to see downtown - Lucky Strike has a nice concept http://www.bowlluckystrike.com/

As far as the Ukrop's rumor goes... who knows. The HT rumor has been around for years. While I don't think it will happen, I do wish they would re-examine some policies, particularly the selling of wine.

If Ukrops was sold, it would not be to focus on First Market Bank. The bank just merged with another and they are now partners and are not the controlling interest.

Ukrops would be sold due to declining market share and timing of a profitable offer...if it was ever sold.

Not a rumor, but a question: What, if anything, is going on in the Mayor's office about Blues Armory and its attached green house at 6th and Marshall Streets? Two or three 10-lane bowling alleys and/or mega cinemas plus restaurants could fit into the space. Might it become Richmond's Epicenter?

I've heard rumors that Ukrops may be willing to sell their stores to Harris Teeter and put all their focus on First Market Bank.

...if true, I hope the chicken salad stays.

Let me correct myself.....

"...they would put their focus on banking." that's how it was told to me, and I assumed First Market, but as thatguy pointed out, First Market and Union Bankshares (Union Bank & Trust) recently merged. So what "banking" they would focus on remains to be seen unless they plan to or are involved in the newly merged Union First Market Bankshares Corp. of which I do not know if they are or not.

The company you listed a link for is based out of WI not FL.

Just a guess but it could be Muvico Entertainment LLC

http://www.muvico.com/our_company.asp

They are based out of Fort Lauderdale, FL. They have 9 locations around the country and are actually opening a theater in Fredericksburg this year.

From their website:

The Company differentiates itself from its competition by building architecturally "themed", state-of-the-art theaters and offering such amenities as expanded concession menus, VIP areas with full-service bars and restaurants, children's playroom, reserved seating and Internet ticketing. Muvico believes in offering the guest an integrated entertainment experience that is not "just about the movie" but where the "movie is part of the overall entertainment experience". To the best of the Company

It could be Muvico. I heard from one person "based out of Florida" and from another that they were located in Florida and are building up and down the east coast. I did a quick search but you are correct that Muvico seems more fitting. The only thing that doesn't fit is the story I heard was that they were taking over the Cheesecake spot and Claires (?). That does not seem big enough for a megaplex? Perhaps they will be building a totally new building and knocking down those spots? One person mentioned something about a walkway so patrons could get to the theater from both sides of the parking lot (Cheesecake side and I think the side with Lenscrafters). That didn't seem too important but it could indicate that building from scratch is what they will be doing? Anyway, it would be great for the mall so I hope it happens. I really like Stony Point.

Just so there is no confusion, the building being discussed is not The CHEESECAKE FACTORY which is flourishing at Short Pump Town Center. Coplan's Cheesecake Bistro which closed a year or so ago at Stony Point Fashion Park is a pretty large space. It is near the Dillards end of the mall and has entrances on the ring road as well as on the actual mall.

Also vacant (last I looked) is the Mexican Restaurant called, I think, RIO GRANDE at the Saks Fifth Avenue end of Stony Point across from CHAMPPS. Its exterior looks like a movie house, but I don't believe it has as much square footage as Coplan's.

Rumor: The new 35K s/f art gallery planned to replace The Anderson Gallery which has been in an old carriage house in the heart of VCU's Monroe Park Campus for decades most likely will go on a plot at the southwest corner of Belvidere and Broad Streets. Originally it was announced to go up next to the Advertising School's new Brandcenter along the southern side of West Cary between Jefferson and Adams Streets. Fund raising for the $45M structure is underway.

The new gallery will be in addition to Anderson won't it? I dont think they're going to close Anderson are they? I thought they were just adding more space to campus.

Majors, the new structure will replace Anderson as the University's gallery. Anderson is a cramped space as you know and is not friendly to anyone with disabilities. But I've been told the building, practically hidden from view in the alley off Shaeffer Street, will remain for other uses.

Ok, Thanks. That location for the new gallery will be great for first fridays. It should be a nice addition to an already thriving event. They could really have a significant gateway design on that corner.

Evrything you said about Anderson is correct, but I always liked Anderson's location in the alley.

Rumor: The new 35K s/f art gallery planned to replace The Anderson Gallery which has been in an old carriage house in the heart of VCU's Monroe Park Campus for decades most likely will go on a plot at the southwest corner of Belvidere and Broad Streets. Originally it was announced to go up next to the Advertising School's new Brandcenter along the southern side of West Cary between Jefferson and Adams Streets. Fund raising for the $45M structure is underway.

I have heard from reliable sources that this is true. I think it is logical...And will help the Arts District and the city. It didn't make any sense to put it by the Ad Center and the expressway.

Ukrop's is the best. PERIOD. It's just a rumor and they better not sell to anyone. We're losing so many of our businesses, it'd be sad to lose another icon. Plus their fried chicken and cakes can not be beat by anyone!

Not always... I bet if Ukrop's really was planning to sell out to Harris Teeter, they would flat out deny it until the day it was publicly announced.

Well then I will wait until it is annouced therefore I would know for a fact if it is or is not.

Talk to you guys on the other threads. :shades:

Ok, Thanks. That location for the new gallery will be great for first fridays. It should be a nice addition to an already thriving event. They could really have a significant gateway design on that corner.

Evrything you said about Anderson is correct, but I always liked Anderson's location in the alley.

Majors, just to clarify: The new gallery (which is nice but unfortunately of a rather pedestrian design, IMO) is to be on the west side of Belvidere between Broad and Grace sharing the block with the gas station and proposed residential mid-rise at the northwest corner of Grace and Belvidere. Its boundaries are Broad, Grace, Belvidere and Pine Streets.

There are no plans of which I am aware for the mostly empty block on the east side of Belvidere which contains a gas station and a sometimes troublesome chicken restaurant. Thus, there will still be a block-long gap between the West Broad Street galleries and VCU.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to stick this in the rumors section since this doesn't appear to be verified yet. Potential 200 jobs coming back downtown...

Heard on the Street: BofA data center

I can't get that link to work, ric75. I'll see if I can bring up Richmondbiz sense from another link.

Speaking of computers, a friend was in my apartment this morning and saw my "wallpaper" shot of Richmond from Church Hill (taken by Ryan Ramsey.) He was amazed it was Richmond and said he's heard this reference to the city: "You go there on vacation and leave on parole." I tried to assure him that the city's crime rate is much reduced.

Another reference I've heard: "Richmond: a hotbed of social rest." :lol:

Archived