Rumors

NYCJSW

I was reading the Delta magazine on one of my flights last night and I saw an advertisement for Shula's steakhouse. It had Short Pump as one of the Future Locations. I know there is already a Shula's 2 in the area, but this would be the regular Shula's steakhouse. If you go to their website http://www.donshula.com/ it actually shows it right on the homepage as opening this fall. I haven't heard anything about this in the past and don't know where it would be going. Does anybody have any idea or information on this? I'm posting this here since I haven't actually seen any construction or news about this in the past.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Shula's 2 in The Sheraton West (across from Altria Headquarters and The Westin Hotel) used to be a swanky restaurant when the hotel opened as a Hyatt House back in the early 1970's. I can't remember its name but at that time there weren't many swanky places to eat in Metro Richmond.

Shula 2 is the bottom of the Shula list while the Steak Houses are at th top.

Since there hasn't been much talk lately about the promised McCormick & Schmicks at West Broad Village, perhaps Shula's Steak House will take over that location.

Maybe Tommy, our Short Pump correspondent, will snoop around and find out the details.

I noticed that Roanoke is on the list for a Shula's 347.

ric75, here's another link to RichmondBiz Sense with the rumor of the possible B/A movement of 200 workers perhaps to James Center or Riverfront Plaza.

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2009/07/06...fa-data-center/

The Richmondbiz sense rumor sort of suggests that 200 data center workers could be moved "to Richmond" from which one might infer the employees would be coming from out-of-state.

But isn't there a very large Bank of America Data Center on Parham Road near Rt. 1 and St. Joseph's Villa? My guess is that if the rumor is true, employees would be transferred from that suburban location to downtown.

Either way, it would be welcome news.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAD NEWS: 1:28PM. Just noticed a comment dated today (7/7) under the story by someone named Debbie Lange which reads:

"Please end more information on Bank of America Data Center opening."

I was reading the Delta magazine on one of my flights last night and I saw an advertisement for Shula's steakhouse. It had Short Pump as one of the Future Locations. I know there is already a Shula's 2 in the area, but this would be the regular Shula's steakhouse. If you go to their website http://www.donshula.com/ it actually shows it right on the homepage as opening this fall. I haven't heard anything about this in the past and don't know where it would be going. Does anybody have any idea or information on this? I'm posting this here since I haven't actually seen any construction or news about this in the past.

They are locating at the new Hilton Conference Center & Spa in Towne Center West. I just remember reading about it a few weeks ago. Here are two links that talk about it.

http://www.hotelplanner.com/Hotels/53687/R...West-Blvd-23233

http://www.shaminhotels.com/_files/docs/hi...pa_richmond.pdf

They are locating at the new Hilton Conference Center & Spa in Towne Center West. I just remember reading about it a few weeks ago. Here are two links that talk about it.

http://www.hotelplanner.com/Hotels/53687/R...West-Blvd-23233

http://www.shaminhotels.com/_files/docs/hi...pa_richmond.pdf

evanf I transferred your info to the Dining Out thread but was unsuccessful moving the websites, so referred readers to this Rumors thread. Thanks for solving the Shula mystery. :thumbsup:

The Richmondbiz sense rumor sort of suggests that 200 data center workers could be moved "to Richmond" from which one might infer the employees would be coming from out-of-state.

But isn't there a very large Bank of America Data Center on Parham Road near Rt. 1 and St. Joseph's Villa? My guess is that if the rumor is true, employees would be transferred from that suburban location to downtown.

Either way, it would be welcome news.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAD NEWS: 1:28PM. Just noticed a comment dated today (7/7) under the story by someone named Debbie Lange which reads:

"Please end more information on Bank of America Data Center opening."

That was pretty weird phrasing, so I read that as a typo which meant to say "please send". A quick google search shows that Debbie Lange is just a local real estate agent, so she is probably looking to develop business from the soon-to-be relocated folks. I think she might not have understood what the comment function was for.

That was pretty weird phrasing, so I read that as a typo which meant to say "please send". A quick google search shows that Debbie Lange is just a local real estate agent, so she is probably looking to develop business from the soon-to-be relocated folks. I think she might not have understood what the comment function was for.

Wait..that's your site?!

I'm not 100% sure on the BofA data center, so I'm just taking an educated guess here... I believe BofA is shutting down a Bay Area (CA) data center, so this may be where this is coming from. Obviously costs of doing business in CA is astronomical in comparison to places like Richmond so this would make sense. Also, given the state's current economic and "IOU" situation many more businesses may be looking elsewhere too.

I'm not 100% sure on the BofA data center, so I'm just taking an educated guess here... I believe BofA is shutting down a Bay Area (CA) data center, so this may be where this is coming from. Obviously costs of doing business in CA is astronomical in comparison to places like Richmond so this would make sense. Also, given the state's current economic and "IOU" situation many more businesses may be looking elsewhere too.

dbull, IF it happens, I still bet my quarter the 200 workers will transfer from the Parham Road B/A Data Center. (Another quarter I'd like to lose. :) )

Send 'em on, Arnold. Richmond would welcome any California workers you'd like to share. :thumbsup:

Does it strike anyone else as odd to put data center workers in class-A office space? Isn't that what Class B space is made for?

Not necessarily... One of my company's data centers is in Alpharetta, GA and it's class A office space. Also, one of the first places I worked out of college had a data center in the BofA building in downtown Richmond (I think it was Nationsbank back then).

Burt - I wasn't aware that BofA had a data center off Parham, so it's possible they may be moving it downtown. Could be an expansion? Like I said, the CA thing was just a guess on my part. At least working in RIC they wouldn't get paid in IOUs, haha...

It does seem odd for someone to want to pay Class A CBD office rental rates for a data center. It would likely also require substantial upgrades and improvements, particularly if it is to be large enough to require 200 employees.

The two downtown locations mentioned in the rumor were James Center and Riverfront Plaza. Doesn't the latter have a lot of vacant space since Wachovia defected to St. Louis, and might not the owners welcome anything -- even at Class B rates?

My memory is fuzzy, but when I was living in Richmond in the 1970's B/A (then Nation's or Sovran) built an office campus behind St. Joseph's Villa off of US 1 on Parham and filled it with a data center. I don't think I'm making that up. :dontknow:

That's different than a data center, is it not? There are several trading floors in Richmond.. Dominion at its riverside campus, BB&T capital markets, are a couple others that come to mind.

They are different. I do not know where I read about trading floors. However commercial space can be leased towards many different types of usage.

I've heard rumors that Ukrops may be willing to sell their stores to Harris Teeter and put all their focus on First Market Bank.

...if true, I hope the chicken salad stays.

I've heard from a few other places that there is likely some truth to this rumor after all.

I am with you on that Coupe. This year has been a knife in the heart for Richmond Metro. Everything that we stand for is being taken over by people who are out of state. Why is it that everything that we have that stands for us has to be taken away from us. Its like all the other cities are the adults and we are the child and they are saying we are too young or not allowed to have this.

Archived