Rumors

NYCJSW

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The red brick may be a bit over done on the canal walk already, but I really like two levels of retail/commercial. The website link also contains some floor plans. I hate to ask this, but someone will, where will the residents park? Unfortunately we're still car dependent in Richmond, but hopefully that will start to change soon.

Long time no see Coupe! You gotta tell us more, the potential rumor had me digging and I found this:

Canal Station

work_canalstation_east-640x485.jpg

work_canalstation_west-640x956.jpg

work_canalstation_north-640x691.jpg

Is this one of the highrises you were talking about? I'm curious beyond belief!

Good find, Tommy. This undated Bam project is on the east side of 14th Street along the canal -- directly across 14th from Vistas on The James.

The Bam project is primarily residential. Coupe's rumor specifies "Office Tower(s)."

Apparently, from things I am hearing, 14th Street is being improved and boosted as a sort of art/retail district these days.

The Reynolds North project stretches west of 14th Street and up stream from The Hat Factory/Off the Hookah building along old parts of the canal lock system.

Back to Tommy's find, I believe the Bam proposal is on a very narrow slice of land where Norfolk Southern parks its private rail cars during General Assembly sessions.

I had been thinking about this lot just the other day and trying to figure out how a structure would fit parking as I could not come up with the space for approaches and spaces. For whatever reason, it had not even dawned on me that the land immediately adjacent to the Canal walk would be available (as it should have). Too bad this does not address parking, therefore, would never happen as proposed. Ignoring zoning regulations, even if we had an excellent mass transit system, some parking in the immediate vicinity would still be necessary for a high density residential structure.

EDIT: Now that I look at the area again, that piece of land on the floodplain side of the wall would be great for parking. Perhaps even a parking deck with residential above would be possible.

Wow it's been a really loooong time since I've posted here. I got excited when I saw the BAM project and was gonna share, but Tommy beat me to it :) I wonder what the status is on it. I imagine the plans are pretty new. I may shoot them an email to find out.

They also have this concept for the south side of the Mayo Bridge.

http://bam-architect...111_hull_street

When I ran my that site last weekend, it looked like they were cleanup the property and doing some demolishing. Does anyone know if the business closed and the redevelopment of the site is a real possibility?

Looking at the satellite images from last year, I do not see any sign of use so that may be the case.

Looking at the satellite images from last year, I do not see any sign of use so that may be the case.

I can confirm that the first round of demo has been done - a contractor has removed all of the metal of value for recycling - and the site is ready for the rest of demo. There are plans for the site, but they may or may not be the ones posted above.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that the first round of demo has been done - a contractor has removed all of the metal of value for recycling - and the site is ready for the rest of demo. There are plans for the site, but they may or may not be the ones posted above.

Richmond GIS still has this as being owned by Federal paperboard company if you guys are talking about the piece of land that I think you are... but I'm not sure how often they update it. This would be great news for that part of town. I've thought that site and the Southern States plot were ripe for redevelopment with the demand for downtown and riverfront apartments. Looking forward to finding out what's going here.

• 4 weeks later...

Good find, Tommy. This undated Bam project is on the east side of 14th Street along the canal -- directly across 14th from Vistas on The James.

It turns out this project may be closer to fruition than we thought. According to the latest Richmond Riverfront Public Forum held in December, Canal Station is listed as part of the "Riverfront Vision." Here's the link (.PDF), forward to page 16.

Maybe BAM's proposal is only a conceptual rendering, but at least we can anticipate future development at that neck of the Canal Walk.

It turns out this project may be closer to fruition than we thought. According to the latest Richmond Riverfront Public Forum held in December, Canal Station is listed as part of the "Riverfront Vision." Here's the link (.PDF), forward to page 16.

Maybe BAM's proposal is only a conceptual rendering, but at least we can anticipate future development at that neck of the Canal Walk.

Tommy, this is a fantastic pdf link. Many thanks for posting it. One could spend hours studying it.

The 17th Street proposal is really nice and lays out a true urban grid with urban housing, and the Riverfront PDF with BAM's proposal seems really promising. But what I'd REALLY like to see happening is what they plan for Mayo Island on Slide 75. Looks can be deceiving, but then again, all that lays in City Council's eyes are "studies, studies, more studies...." <_<

The Mayo Island plan looks great but how is it going to be financed? Im afraind that by ruling out a private and public development on this site 20 years from now it will still look the same as it does today. If the City can does this great if not it may be unrealistic to think the city can pull this off. Much of this river front development should have been done years ago.

Richmond GIS still has this as being owned by Federal paperboard company if you guys are talking about the piece of land that I think you are... but I'm not sure how often they update it. This would be great news for that part of town. I've thought that site and the Southern States plot were ripe for redevelopment with the demand for downtown and riverfront apartments. Looking forward to finding out what's going here.

Looks like Fountainhead Development just bought the site and plans to turn it into apartments.

http://hillsandheights.org/2012/01/30/new-apartments-save-a-paper-mill/

Looks like Fountainhead Development just bought the site and plans to turn it into apartments.

http://hillsandheigh...e-a-paper-mill/

Be sure to click on the highlighted Richmond biz sense link in the Hills & Heights story that blake has posted. Until I saw the map(s) I wasn't exactly sure where this old building was located. It's at the south end of Mayo Bridge.

When completed the 91-apartment complex will be called South Canal Lofts.

Archived