Rumors

NYCJSW

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'll get a beat-down for this, but I've never been a fan of Ukrop's. I think they're overpriced, and their customer service is horrible. Their pre-made meals are good, but for the same price I can go to Whole Foods or Fresh Market where I think it's a little bit better quality. They're not even open on Sundays and I know it's out of respect and it's supposed to be 'mom and pop' way of seeing things, but come on..

I know I'll get a beat-down for this, but I've never been a fan of Ukrop's. I think they're overpriced, and their customer service is horrible. Their pre-made meals are good, but for the same price I can go to Whole Foods or Fresh Market where I think it's a little bit better quality. They're not even open on Sundays and I know it's out of respect and it's supposed to be 'mom and pop' way of seeing things, but come on..

I don't disagree with the notion that they are overpriced at all. When I lived in Richmond I shopped there for the deli meats, produce and occasionally would get a pizza or their soups for a quick meal. A majority of the time I shopped for the every day stuff at Kroger and Hannaford (back in the day). Their prices were much better, not to mention they sold alcohol and were open on Sundays. If it is Harris Teeter that buys them, I hope they get the recipes for the fried chicken, cakes and pizzas. Whenever I head up that way for a visit, I always try to stop by there...

HT is about as exciting as Ukrops. I find the whole notion of "upscale" groceries offensive. It's food for Christ' sake. It should be affordable and accessible. In the nearly 40 years that I've been a consumer I've never needed a hands-on grocery shopping experience, so I'm not sure what exactly is missing with the customer service at Ukrops( and I'm pretty sure that I wont find it at Kroger of Food Lion). What should be taken from this article is that Food Lion just barley has a bigger market share than Ukrops with TWICE as many stores in the market. I'd hardly call that a Ukrops failure. Most likely the folks in charge are bored with running a grocery store and would like to sell the company for a killing and live the good life while they can still drive after dusk. Nothing wrong with that.

I replied to this last night as the site went down, so I tried to retype what I had.

I'm a Ukrop's baby. I've shopped at Pantry Pride, Safeway, A&P, Community Pride, The Grocery Store, Hannaford, Winn-Dixie, Big Star, Superfresh, and Farmfresh. None of them compared to Ukrop's. Even today, nothing compares to Ukrop's. Wal-Mart is cold (impersonal), carelessly stocked, and has a fend-for-yourself atomosphere. Then it seems to always have just 2 registers opened with giant lines. Food Lions are disgusting places. I have yet to find one that was well-kept, well-staffed, and appealing at all. I wonder how they're even number 1. The Market is ok and possibly could be the next best thing for local groceries. Kroger is my second choice. Their prepared foods are edible but forgettable and their stores are just bland and also impersonal. Ukrop's is king! Wholefoods, Trader Joe's, and Tom Leonard's are too far away for most Richmonders to shop. Why the hell would I travel 20 minutes for groceries?

Ukrop's customer service has been nothing but superb. I have never had a problem in any of their stores. They're friendly and always helpful. At my home base, White Oak, the empolyees are familiar with me and know what I want. Some ask me about my grandmother when they see me by myself since at times she's with me. That's missing from other places. The large corporations have no soul and are just money-making machines.

Think about the fine foods of Ukrop's No one fries chicken like that and the wedges are the softest, largest, and best battered ever. Then the bakery is legendary. No one's cakes can compare. If anything, those two divisions should be spun off as their own business(es).

Then what do we have left in Richmond? Our banks are gone, our electronics chain is gone, our department stores are gone, what's next? Maybe Carmax and Saxon Shoes should sell out. Why is it ok for us to have open arms for giant chains based in other places, yet we hate our own homegrown places? Why don't we want to have anything succeed again?

If you guys don't mind me asking, what happened to Circuit City's HQ building? Is it just sitting empty?

There are three buildings on the campus. The State (Education Dept?) has been renting out the third one for quite sometime now (well before the bankruptcy), but the other two are sitting empty with weeds growing in the parking lots.

• 3 weeks later...

The Kroger at Bellgrade will be expanding soon. They are taking over a few vacant stores to the left and other will be moved to another spot. Kroger has wanted to expand for a while but the owner of the shops was not willing to let them. I can't believe that the owner would not let anyone take over space with all the vacancies. The old Franco's spot has been vacant for about 2 years.

I have heard a rumor recently that the Walmart at Parham Plaza will be turned into a supercenter once they tear down the old Hollywood Video and Macy's Furniture Store next to Staples. Gamestop was the least tenant to move out and go across the street to the Ridge Shopping Center. I also saw something in the paper a few weeks ago in the metro business section that thalhimer has leased space in the Ridge Shopping Center for Panera Bread and Chick-Fil-A This will be the second Chick-fil-A in the Parham Road Corridor with the other one being at Regency Mall. But I am so happy that they might actually tear down that old part of the Parham Plaza Shopping Center and make the Walmart a super center.

• 6 months later...

I heard from two people that an upscale dinner theater type operation might be eyeing the old Cheesecake Bistro spot at Stony Point Mall. They would take over a few additional spots as well and it would be a high end facility. A company that has several of these across the country would be running it. I heard the company was out of Florida and found http://www.ipicentertainment.com/bayshoreLocation.html but I'm not sure if they are the one's or how solid this project is. It would be great for Stony Point and would bring in the foot traffic they need.

I think this is more of a bar and movie theater concept rather than a dinner/theater with performers etc. Apparently movie theater where you can drink are growing fast. We will see if it happens.

I thought this would be a good thread to start.

Just an update. As noted here over the summer it appears this rumor is taking shape. They have knocked down the old Cheesecake Bistro restaurant at Stony Point (a few more spaces also look to be cleared) and an upscale dinner/movie theater will be coming in the fall. The only entrance will be on the mall side so foot traffic will be forced into the central mall area - a good thing. Any other info out there?

NYCJSW, we discussed the dinner/movie complex last month on January 7th in the dining-out thread, but no one seemed to have any updated info about it.

I noticed in a recent Building Permits RTD column that a million $ plus demolition was underway at Stony Point Fashion Park, but it was short on details. Your info about goings-on at the former Copeland's space would seem correct.

The website shows Richmond as a location in 2010.:

http://www.cobbcinebistro.com/

NYCJSW, we discussed the dinner/movie complex last month on January 7th in the dining-out thread, but no one seemed to have any updated info about it.

I noticed in a recent Building Permits RTD column that a million $ plus demolition was underway at Stony Point Fashion Park, but it was short on details. Your info about goings-on at the former Copeland's space would seem correct.

The website shows Richmond as a location in 2010.:

http://www.cobbcinebistro.com/

Thanks Burt, since the new site design I have not been reading here as much but was at Stony Point today and saw the contruction. The search function on here takes a long time.

• 1 year later...

Now, remember that this is a rumor thread so take it with a grain of salt. But I heard from someone in the know that Wegmans is scouting out locations in Richmond and C'ville. The person also mentioned a 2-5 year opening horizon. You never know but look at the rumors on here that were posted way before anything hit the wire.

Archived