Unused Land in Uptown

HopHead

If you could get rid of one plot of land that's unused (or under used) in uptown Charlotte, where would it be and what would you do? This can be any surface lot, vacant structure, etc... Money is not an issue here, so no politics please :)

For me, I would get rid of the lot that's at Graham/MLK & Mint/3rd. This is part of the plot of land that was to be used for the new Knights stadium. I honestly don't even care if a stadium goes there anymore. I just think it's very unsightly. I know the original intention was a Park and I'm perfectly fine if that ended up being the end solution. It would be an ideal spot.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so many to choose from...

i would get something, ANYTHING, on the plot behind the Days Inn on N. Tryon now that the planned project there is dead. I think some low/midrise mixed-use would be more ideal than a tower in that spot, something Gateway-ish perhaps. the vacant lot at 7th & Caldwell could use a small mixed-use tower or a row of 2-3 story shops/lofts/offices to make the connection to 1st ward residents.

i agree the 3rd ward lots are even more unsightly, but i don't think we stand to benefit as much from developing them now as they ARE more ideal for some large-scale project that may be further down the line...we need to draw people north and east a little bit more imo.

The surface lot behind the Gantt Center, especially now that the arts campus is coming together.

Low-mid rise building, about as high as the Gantt center, with retail fronting Tryon and College and an open ally space with retail running along side the church (mirroring the green).

Hmm, so sad to only be able to choose one. Without trying to avoid the original question, more interestingly I would rather sacrifice one 50 story tower and eliminate every surface lot in 3rd ward or 1st ward with 10-15 story midrises. Our surface lots are very distinguished compared to other cities and rather disgusting IMO. If I could choose just one, I would choose the first ward land bounded by College, Brevard, 9th and 11th. I would put back in 10th st. Then I would develop the 2 new parcels with high density mixed-use with maybe one 30 story office tower and the remaining with 3 10-20 story buildings.

Pine Poplar Trade and Fifth porkchop. I would sell it off in pieces cap the height at 15 floors and encourage at least 4 or 5 DIFFERENT owners per side. It'd be more appropriate for the little guy who wants to put his mark (albeit small) on an urban area. I envision more 3-10 story buildings, good quality, with different looks between each of them, and I'd encourage a mix of uses. Trade street side would be the tallest side (10-15 floor building). I'd Shoot for a more East Village like look. http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&...0&encType=1

This is what I'd do with every block in downtown that is vacant, I'm tired of single use blocks, they never have inspired me.

Edit: I forgot to mention, No blank walls on the street, and no grand entrances (waterfalls in lobbies are absurd). Almost every building would have groundlevel retail, hopefully all of it.

Thousands of housing units. No more high rise condos. We need 8-10 floor muildings with retail on street level. We also need more development like in first ward. Lots of rowhouses. The high-rise condos look pretty but they do not promote as much street level activity. These units must be affordable. Start in the low 90s and go up to maybe 200K,,,,,,no more million dollar condos.

The block bound by 8th St., 7th St., Tryon, and College is mostly parking. I would re-develop this land. I would put a real bakery on this spot, like the Little Mermaid Bakery that actually rises its own yeast dough. I would also add a slot machine parlour though the puritanical NC laws probably would not allow it except if you are native american. And this site would also support a coin laundry and an food automat if it was done properly. I would also add a Wild Mouse roller coaster and a wading pool for the kids that could be turned into ice skating in the winter. There should also be a place that sells Pronto Pups, curley fries, and chile cheese dogs. I would also think about adding a Kaiten sushi bar, but I am not sure that CLT would be willing to support that. Food for the people. Finally, if there was some space left, I would rent it out to DiVa Nails and a foot massage place. Oh and a Cash Points ATM. None of those for exhorbant fees machines from the commercial banks.

The block bound by 8th St., 7th St., Tryon, and College is mostly parking. I would re-develop this land. I would put a real bakery on this spot, like the Little Mermaid Bakery that actually rises its own yeast dough. I would also add a slot machine parlour though the puritanical NC laws probably would not allow it except if you are native american. And this site would also support a coin laundry and an food automat if it was done properly. I would also add a Wild Mouse roller coaster and a wading pool for the kids that could be turned into ice skating in the winter. There should also be a place that sells Pronto Pups, curley fries, and chile cheese dogs. I would also think about adding a Kaiten sushi bar, but I am not sure that CLT would be willing to support that. Food for the people. Finally, if there was some space left, I would rent it out to DiVa Nails and a foot massage place. Oh and a Cash Points ATM. None of those for exhorbant fees machines from the commercial banks.

I would like to see some of the land owned by Levine in First Ward get developed, mostly to connect the residential portion of First Ward (Garden District) to the center of Uptown. It's been getting better, and hopefully with the addition of UNCC and the adjoining park it will lessen the impact of the numerous surface lots. I would like to see this developed in the 6-10 story range and be a mix of residential, retail and commercial space. Basically, what is already in the master plan for First Ward.

In terms of affordability, it really comes down to what you want. You can maybe get a one bedroom - 500 sqare foot condo for $135,000, but I don't see there being Uptown starter condos (other than pre-construction) at $95,000 unless the rest of Charlotte sees a significant depreciation in home values.

I wouldn't mind seeing something developed on one of these vacant lots that contained a fast food restaurant like Arby's or Chick-Fil-A that actually had a street presence as opposed to being buried inside an office tower that most people don't have a reason to go into.

Haha- Monsoon you sure do want that Wild Mouse coaster here in Charlotte.

I think many agree on getting more affordable housing and better developments that promote an urban environment, connectivity, and ground level promotion. The surface lots have to go, which are mainly plagued in 1st and 3rd wards. 1st ward is distinct for its townhouses. I would like to see some of the surface lots transitional areas into the skyscrappers that line Tryon. I think 10 story buildings to 15 would suit well, but the restrictions are good quality materials, mixed use, and almost everything lined on sideswalks have ground floor. Also some oversized sidewalks to promote outdoor restraunts. Also no one sided buildings. 3rd ward is an area that I feel can support and fit with larger buildings. 20-30 story buildings are more than adequate. The park needs to go in, the ball park can go either way. If it doesn't work there, then that land needs to be used for buildings instead of sitting stale for years over years expecting to have a ball park on it that may not get built there.

Some very good points... I agree with a number of people that basically said we need more low & midrise infill. Buildings in the 8-12 or 15 story range. Some more with brick facade. The plot of land I indicated in my original post would be ideal for that as well. We have plenty of modern structures. When Duke Energy Center is completed we'll have another tall signature tower in our skyline. Though, I would like to see our skyline stretch out where the Vue is being built. I wouldn't mind seeing a coin laundry mat either and a few old greasy restaurants. An uptown Mac's BBQ where we could walk up and order would be neat. Imagine how packed one would be on Panther game days?

I just want the block with the Builders Build on West Trade completely developed (Trade, 5th, Poplar, Pine).....everything else surrounding it is developed, and is the biggest and easiest "hole" to fill in my opinion.

Monsoon, I'd be the oldest kid on that Wild Mouse, lol. Ricochet at Carowinds is a pretty good Wild Mouse but give me the old school types like in Blackpool, England.....

For my idea, and I am surprised no one mentioned this, I would like an observation tower. Yes, I am still stuck on this idea. Where? Any vacant property, preferebly on the outskirts of the uptown grid. To my knowledge, no city on the east coast has one (Toronto, Niagra Falls are the only ones I can think of).

This would not be an office tower with an observation deck, but a stand alone Space Needle type tower. It doesn't have to be the tallest structure in uptown. The Space Needle is far from the tallest in Seattle. Something with an award winning design and with a heckuva view from 360

Archived