Farmers plans to add 1,600 new jobs

egrguy

Sorry but I am underwhelmed about this news. Another call center, whoopee for those $10/hour jobs selling insurance to unemployed Michiganians. Now Farmers also owns Foremost Insurance I wonder if they will put the two under the same roof?

Speaking of tax breaks, did Priceline ever get up and running with their 5 million tax break call center?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry but I am underwhelmed about this news. Another call center, whoopee for those $10/hour jobs selling insurance to unemployed Michiganians. Now Farmers also owns Foremost Insurance I wonder if they will put the two under the same roof?

Speaking of tax breaks, did Priceline ever get up and running with their 5 million tax break call center?

There was no outsourcing threat here, only a bid war with Georgia and Ohio.

Talk about job scarcity, I was up for a 4th unemployment renewal, an unexpected gift from the state but I did not pursue it. I can't in good conscience take money from the state no matter how much I think i *deserve* it when my partner is supporting my family well. But I might apply for one of those jobs, I tried with Priceline and heard nothing back.

But the point is those jobs in my opinion are a form of subsidy or state welfare for low wage employment.

Farmers is in virtually every state and Switzerland too, this is a game of maximizing their profits, and at who's expense?

As opposed to $27 and hour stamping parts? Sure, $10/hr is a heckuva a lot less appealing, but as GRDad stated, at least they teach a skillset that can be used elsewhere.

I think people need to learn that "entitlement" jobs are gone. Farmers and Priceline.com are great stepping stone jobs. You learn, excel and move on (and up). If you don't learn or excel, you don't move up. It's simple...

I'm sure if these jobs were in India, everyone would be up in arms, yet they are in Grand Rapids. I say "hell yeah!" to that.

Joe

But the point is those jobs in my opinion are a form of subsidy or state welfare for low wage employment.

Farmers is in virtually every state and Switzerland too, this is a game of maximizing their profits, and at who's expense?

Archived