A massive suburb to be "urbanized"

I read this article while waiting in the orthodontist's office this morning. Kind of interesting (although hardly radical), and seems to be completely spurred by 3 new train stations being built to service the metro DC area:

tysons-corner.jpg

Some interesting stats:

) Tyson's Corner is just a city built around a shopping mall, like Troy or Schaumburg, IL, that covers about 1700 acres

) 120,000 people work in TC (6x downtown Grand Rapids), yet only 17,000 live there

) The massive office park brings in 110,000 cars of commuters each day

) There are more parking spaces than residents. Eesh.

) They have spent the last 4 years on an aggressive plan to bring the "living" population in TC to 50,000, convert 10% of TC to parks, and increase walkability over the next 20 years

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,...1904187,00.html

Bird's Eye View

http://www.smartergrowth.net/anx/index.cfm...g-Tysons-Corner

If successful, would this be the first true "city" to be built in the U.S. from scratch in my lifetime?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh. When I lived out there I absolutely hated driving to Tyson's Corner - and that was 13 years ago. It was a driving nightmare. Congestion, accidents everywhere (diplomat cars - don't even start with me!) and the inevitable orange cones. There's just no place to move people anymore closer to the city. Heck, Leesburg and Baltimore are considered suburbs of DC. No thanks.

Actually, this post doesn't make much sense. Just ranting about memories of DC. Please forgive.

Ugh. When I lived out there I absolutely hated driving to Tyson's Corner - and that was 13 years ago. It was a driving nightmare. Congestion, accidents everywhere (diplomat cars - don't even start with me!) and the inevitable orange cones. There's just no place to move people anymore closer to the city. Heck, Leesburg and Baltimore are considered suburbs of DC. No thanks.

Actually, this post doesn't make much sense. Just ranting about memories of DC. Please forgive.

It's funny. In the article, they mention that a lot of people don't like the idea of making Tyson's Corner more dense and more walkable. Because apparently the growth patterns they have been following have worked so well so far, they should just stick with the old plan. :rolleyes:

Archived