Convention Center Hotel

MidTenn1

It looks like the proposed hotel to adjoin the new Convention Center is beginning to come into focus, somewhat. The Nashville Post reported on the announcment of the team which will develop and design the hotel.

The chosen group, Phelps Portman LLC, is anchored by Colorado-based Phelps Development and Portman Cos. out of Atlanta. John Portman & Associates will be the project

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I am suddenly not so excited about a hotel... especially if all that $300 MILLION is going to buy is another mid-rise like Encore! I mean, c'mon if your are dumping THAT much money on a hotel, at least put it on the northwest end and make it 40-45 stories ~500'. Seriously. And, beyond that, hopefully it's not a rectangle like that SD crappola.

And I am suddenly not so excited about a hotel... especially if all that $300 MILLION is going to buy is another mid-rise like Encore! I mean, c'mon if your are dumping THAT much money on a hotel, at least put it on the northwest end and make it 40-45 stories ~500'. Seriously. And, beyond that, hopefully it's not a rectangle like that SD crappola.

Most hotels end up being a bland and boxy design because of the nature of the business housed inside the building. If you build modern today it will look outdated in 10 years, if you build traditional it will look intentional. I'd be much more interested in a functional design that works efficiently on the inside than something that maybe looks eye-popping from the outside but has poor design for the business.

Now, having said that. I am so much more interested in the brand. There are very few brands that are not already in Nashville, especially in the Downtown/West End corridor. Obviously there is no traditional Marriott in downtown proper, nor is there an Omni or Westin (what ever happened to the Westin on 2nd & Broadway?).

Good fits:

-Omni

-Hard Rock Hotel (not likely)

-Hyatt

-Sofitel (not likely)

-Peabody (really wants to be in Nashville but their last design for a hotel downtown was really bad)

OK, after reading the revised article on the Tennessean website, noting that it's going to be 40+ stories, I feel a little better about this project. I think it will probably be a Grand Hyatt or a Westin - thus negating the need for the 2nd Ave Westin.

As for designs, I think something kinda like Pinnacle will need to be built, something sleek and timeless. A good design would be like W in ATL, Crowne Plaza in Seattle, and Grand Hyatt in Singapore(hey, I can wish)

A less-traditional trend for Convention Center Hotels is to have 2 seperate towers and operators, one which is decidedly upscale and the other more limited in its offerings (think: LaQuinta, aloft, Best Western or Ramada). This combination allows the convention center to easily accommodate large groups as well as hosting two seperate conventions simoultaneously and offering two distinct price-points. I actually find it to be a very good idea. The only thing I would insist upon is having the budget-friendly hotel built on a footprint which could be easily converted to a second tower for upscale hotel should the need ever arise.

Finally... I like it. Officially I like it. It needs to be oriented correctly, though, as it appears Nashville will have a curvilinear skyline with the addition of this one. I will work on a Sketchup rendering based on these images and publish later today or tomorrow.

bilde.jpg

Just trying to figure this up in my head...I'm assuming the ceiling height HAS to be at least 10' (so that gives us at least 400'). The atrium would maybe add another 30'. Whatever crown would probably add at least another 30'. So...I'm thinking conservatively, it's gonna be somewhere just under or at 500', which would probably put the very top of this at the same level of the top of the Batman building before you add in the two "spindles" or bat ears.

Anyone think I'm close?

If this were an office building at 40+ stories, it could easily be 600' or more.

OK...after watching Channel 2 and seeing the model, I'm pretty excited. I really like the curve of the building. It appears the inward curved part is facing north towards the CMHoF and the outward curve is facing south. of course, the two thin ends are facing towards the river and the Music City center.

OK...after watching Channel 2 and seeing the model, I'm pretty excited. I really like the curve of the building. It appears the inward curved part is facing north towards the CMHoF and the outward curve is facing south. of course, the two thin ends are facing towards the river and the Music City center.

The curve is intended to mimic the curve of the CMHOF which will sit right in front of this building. If you noticed in the model they put the yet to be built CMHOF addition and will attach to same when that is built. All in all a very cool design. with Silver LEED certification.

The curve is intended to mimic the curve of the CMHOF which will sit right in front of this building. If you noticed in the model they put the yet to be built CMHOF addition and will attach to same when that is built. All in all a very cool design. with Silver LEED certification.

I think that's correct. As for your math, I think the conference space and atrium are about 65' in height. I'd put the total room height at 11'6" thus adding on top of that an additional 460', excluding structural. That nets us 520' plus the crown, which I say is about 20' in height. If this thing tops at 540', I will be one happy camper.

I still want the orientation to put the curved side to the river, as it would give a nice arc to the skyline. I did not see an inward curve, though... I think it was flat. Look at the little image on top right of what I posted above. That I think they said will connect to the convention center itself.

I counted 47 levels in the rendering, including 4 in the penthouse/mechanical section. Assuming a 10ft floor to floor ratio (typical for hotels) and a 20 ft floor to floor for the lower five floors, the total height would be 520 ft.

Archived