Convention Center Hotel

MidTenn1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Producer, you know I haven't been all that excited about the MCC design...mostly because it's a box that takes up a HUGE chunk of SoBro...and I have fears it will stifle growth. But...I'm resigned to the fact that it's going to happen and I just hope that there will be some adjustments made to address street level activity on all sides.

As for NC...I'm truly starting to see that some on there are actually architectual snobs that may never be happy, no matter the design.

I'll admit, I'm not trained to understand all of the ins and outs of architecture, but I kinda like the initial hotel design...and I don't hate the MCC design...other than the fact that it's a box that I hate to see take up so much valuable land.

Producer, you know I haven't been all that excited about the MCC design...mostly because it's a box that takes up a HUGE chunk of SoBro...and I have fears it will stifle growth. But...I'm resigned to the fact that it's going to happen and I just hope that there will be some adjustments made to address street level activity on all sides.

As for NC...I'm truly starting to see that some on there are actually architectual snobs that may never be happy, no matter the design.

I'll admit, I'm not trained to understand all of the ins and outs of architecture, but I kinda like the initial hotel design...and I don't hate the MCC design...other than the fact that it's a box that I hate to see take up so much valuable land.

Titanhog,

Thanks for your post. I take no issue with people having problems with any part of this project. It certainly has some warts (as almost any project this size would). I do take issue with blatant attacks on industry professionals who have far greater credentials and real work experience than those who criticize them. Some of them have taken to not responding to my posts, kinda like taking their ball and going home! Its all good though, there are some very knowlegable and fine people on both forums.

As a working member of the meetings industry I am of course all for this project. As a resident of downtown, I have a few concerns but I am still very optimistic that this project will spur far more growth than it will inhibit. We won't know for a while if that is true but we will never know if we don't try.

If you let me spend a billion dollars doing something in downtown I bet I could spur some growth too. that's the point I have been trying to get at. Yes, this may create jobs, but it damn well better for almost a billion dollars. And it won't create high dollar jobs, it will create jobs in the 30-40k range for the most part.

If you let me spend a billion dollars doing something in downtown I bet I could spur some growth too. that's the point I have been trying to get at. Yes, this may create jobs, but it damn well better for almost a billion dollars. And it won't create high dollar jobs, it will create jobs in the 30-40k range for the most part.

Producer...what do you see being built around all 4 sides of the MCC?

We already have the Sommet on the north, along with maybe another hotel and small park? On the east, we'll have the CMHoF and the MCC Hotel. What will happen on the south and west, in your opinion?

Producer...what do you see being built around all 4 sides of the MCC?

We already have the Sommet on the north, along with maybe another hotel and small park? On the east, we'll have the CMHoF and the MCC Hotel. What will happen on the south and west, in your opinion?

producer, is the city going to buy the expansion area? and if not what happens if the area is developed in the next 5-10 yrs for other uses...where will the convention center expand?

I think you will see at least one smaller (200-400 rooms or so) at the corner of KVB and 5th to the North. It is also scheduled for expansion land to be bought by the city so I am not sure what might go there other retail or parking. I am also confident they will work out a scenario to house the Musicians Hall of Fame on the 8th and KVB corner at the roundabout. Other than that I think the West side is set up for commercial between 8th and Cummins Station. I think you will see more residential in the corridor from KVB to 65 to the North between 1st/Hermitage and 8th/lafayette.

Been out of town for a while. I have heard a few rumors for a while. I am happy with the orientation of the building. It is going to make a huge statement on the skyline and SOBRO. The orientation was my big concern.

Interesting to hear about the other hotel at the west end of the CC. 200 to 400 rooms is a good size, hopefully it will be on the higher end of that number. I figure there will be a few more surprises coming down the pike as well.

I would say it will be crane city for a while once everything starts. You will have construction of the CC, the CC hotel, the parking garages, and the other hotel. I would bet there will be a few more announcements made in the next six months to compliment the project.

For what it's worth, I tried to overlay a shape representing the hotel (500'+) onto some of Lexy's excellent aerial photos to get a sense of how it may impact the skyline. I used the nearby, 200' tall Encore a a reference.

ConventionCenterHotel1.png

ConventionCenterHotel2.png

ConventionCenterHotel3.png

It will make a considerable impact, especially with it's white, curvelinear facade.

Archived