Convention Center Hotel

MidTenn1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will have a major impact onthe skyline as it is filling a gap from the south view between the Pinnacle and the ATT towers. Not to mention the view from the ground off Broadway. The impact is in a way beefing up the current skyline. If it is going to be 500' tall, it will be taller than the Pinnacle tower. The CC itself will impact the density as the majority of what is there now is parking. This will be in addition to any new hotels and parking structures built.

Hankster, do you really think so? I feel so convinced that it will just 'blend' in with the existing skyline. I wish I could believe that it would have an impact. How higher (if any) is the elevation at the proposed hotel location, say in comparison to the AT&T tower location, or Pinnacle? And are there any definite details on the height of the structure? Wonder if it will have any spires? Probably not, considering it's "box" design.

It's starting to look like the 'scrapers in SoBro will definitely have a more "shiny" effect on the skyline than the CBD core. With the Pinnacle, Encore and MCC hotel, there's already a more "reflective" and light colored thing going on. Not saying that the CBD isn't full of glass itself, but specifically the Pinnacle is really the first all glass structure we have...and the initial design of the MCC hotel looks to be a lot of glass and reflective material (I'm sure that could change with later designs).

Hankster, do you really think so? I feel so convinced that it will just 'blend' in with the existing skyline. I wish I could believe that it would have an impact. How higher (if any) is the elevation at the proposed hotel location, say in comparison to the AT&T tower location, or Pinnacle? And are there any definite details on the height of the structure? Wonder if it will have any spires? Probably not, considering it's "box" design.

Technically the USbank Tower is all glass as well as the TPAC Tower and the original Suntrust Bank Tower at 201 4th Avenue North.. The Pinnacle will be the fourth all glass building in downtown.

You could also consider Viridian and Suntrust Plaza all glass too. I guess the Pinnacle will be the first all glass building in Sobro. The American Center Towers on 31st and West End are all glass. Nashville has no shortage of glass towers. One Belle Meade Place is also 10 stories of glass.

Sorry...you guys are right...to an extent...because what I'm calling "all glass" is based upon my own parameters, which I'm sure are not architectually correct. I thought Pinnacle was the only building in the downtown that was completely covered in glass without any other material showing on the surface. I'm probably wrong, though? Of course...I'm also talking above street level.

Anyway...my point is that there are alot of other materials (concrete and limestone) that keep the CBD from being as "shiny"...and I was just trying to make a remark that it appears the the first 3 tall buildings in SoBro will have a more reflective effect, for at least a while. I know it's a stupid point to make...just an observation.

• 1 month later...

Yeah John Portman is responsible for designing most of Downtown Atlanta. Everything from the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel, the Suntrust Plaza (the second tallest building), to the giant ugly America's Mart buildings and Peachtree Center. He also designed the Renaissance Center in Detroit, which is famous as GM's headquarters. Hopefully he'll come out with something nice for Nashville.

Archived