iPhone: To Jailbreak or not to Jailbreak?

jbr12

I have an original iPhone (2G) and am considering Jailbreaking the phone so I can get some 'unapproved' apps. Wondering if anyone has any experience in this department? The process looks simple enough to me, especially with the new redsn0w program that was released yesterday. My main concern is what happens to the apps that I currently have on my phone? Is Cydia the only way to get apps once jailbroken, or can I still purchase apps from iTunes too? Can I still sync, backup, etc with iTunes?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a tough question as it voids the warranty and future Apple changes might make the thing useless.

I had an Ipod touch (basically an iPhone without the phone part) and returned it after 24 hours when I discovered how much Apple had locked down the thing with DRM and so forth. First it makes it useless on something like Linux and I don't like the software they force you to use. Second I didn't feel like trying to jailbreak it and then have to deal with the compatibility issues with that. It's really a shame because the Ipod Touch/Iphone is a really brilliant design, but they crippled it in an unacceptable manner to me in order to keep nickel and diming you after the fact.

I have the original iPhone 2G, so I'm outside my warranty now anyway.. no worries there!

From what I've read, the new way to jail break is only a software change, so there is no more 'bricking' of the iPhones. The guide I just read said you can even restore it back to original firmware settings using iTunes if you want to.

Anyone with experiences to share??

I have the original iPhone 2G, so I'm outside my warranty now anyway.. no worries there!

From what I've read, the new way to jail break is only a software change, so there is no more 'bricking' of the iPhones. The guide I just read said you can even restore it back to original firmware settings using iTunes if you want to.

Anyone with experiences to share??

No experience jailbreaking an iPhone, but I too have a fairly useless iPhone 2G now. I got the new model (3GS) on Friday and my wife doesn't want to use my 2G as an iPod Touch. I don't want to get rid of it, but I do want to keep it since it is the first model...who knows what the thing may bring in 30 years.

If you simply want to make it usable in a way your new iPhone can't and don't care about preserving it for historical sake, then I'd say jailbreak it. I have heard of issues with folks reversing a jailbreak, but if you want to keep it jailbroke then I'd say go for it. It seems pretty safe to do so at this point (quick and easy). Just don't think about upgrading your OS version until you have a thoroughly tested method for doing so!

W/r/t Linux and the iPhone/iPod...that is an incompatibility that is noted upfront before you even purchase the device so it should come expected. I agree it is a bit locked down in the sense that you have to use iTunes, but they don't hide that fact. If anyone cares to make beef with DRM, I'd say the RIAA is your enemy more so than Apple. FWIW, music you purchase from iTunes is now DRM free.

I was willing to accept the Linux issue. I was even willing to accept Itunes. But what the deal breaker was for me was when I put a CD in the for Itunes to put on the Ipod. This is was a legal retail CD that I paid for. Itunes looked at the list of songs on that CD and simply informed me that their agreement from the license holder prevents them from putting some of those songs, songs I had already paid for, onto the Ipod. That I was welcome to purchase them again. To me, this was completely unacceptable and that is when I decided to take it back. Too much corporate control for me.

It really is a shame because they otherwise came up with a good design.

I was willing to accept the Linux issue. I was even willing to accept Itunes. But what the deal breaker was for me was when I put a CD in the for Itunes to put on the Ipod. This is was a legal retail CD that I paid for. Itunes looked at the list of songs on that CD and simply informed me that their agreement from the license holder prevents them from putting some of those songs, songs I had already paid for, onto the Ipod. That I was welcome to purchase them again. To me, this was completely unacceptable and that is when I decided to take it back. Too much corporate control for me.

It really is a shame because they otherwise came up with a good design.

But this isn't an issue with Apple or the iPod specifically, but is an issue with the record label that produced the CD. I have imported hundreds of CD's into iTunes and have yet to run into any issue so I would imagine this is a rare exception to the rule.

Archived