Governor Sanford

monsoon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Argentina for business my butt. He's offering to pay back the money for the affair portion of his bogus business trip only because he got caught. He has shown us he can't be trusted with the people's money. Hypocrite. He's got to go. Eighteen months is not enough time to rebuild the people's trust. SC can't afford 18 more months of an ineffective governor whose time will be spent trying to right his wrongs both with his family and with South Carolinians.

Has anyone in the modern history of South Carolina ever been to trial over these moral laws?

^Ahh OK so you have a beef with the Democrats. Not sure why that is relevant to this topic. I disagree with your characterization of equivalency but this is a matter of opinion.

BTW This is SC Law. You can view it at this link: OFFENSES AGAINST MORALITY AND DECENCY

SECTION 16-15-60. Adultery or fornication.

Any man or woman who shall be guilty of the crime of adultery or fornication shall be liable to indictment and, on conviction, shall be severally punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisonment for not less than six months nor more than one year or by both fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the court.

SECTION 16-15-70. "Adultery" defined.

"Adultery" is the living together and carnal intercourse with each other or habitual carnal intercourse with each other without living together of a man and woman when either is lawfully married to some other person.

SECTION 16-15-80. "Fornication" defined.

"Fornication" is the living together and carnal intercourse with each other or habitual carnal intercourse with each other without living together of a man and woman, both being unmarried.

--------------------

So Sanford has clearly broken state law. Does anyone expect that Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, the same Sheriff in Columbia who made the big deal about arresting Michael Phelps because someone took a photo of him smoking a bong, is going to show up at the Governor's mansion to arrest Sanford? The hypocracy is so deep, it's a wonder the people there are not drowning.

Actually I don't find them similar at all. First, let's first look at the official GOP platform. This is available on their site.

"Republicans recognize the importance of having in the home a father and a mother who are married. The two-parent family still provides the best environment of stability, discipline, responsibility, and character. .... Republicans have been at the forefront of protecting traditional marriage laws, both in the states and in Congress. ..... We also encourage states to review their marriage and divorce laws in order to strengthen marriage."

The platform goes on to make a lot of statements and judgements about single parents, homes with out fathers, and of course they have to say a few words about the abomination of gays. Bottom line they have taken it on themselves to make enforcement of certain moral standards as part of their platform and goals.

So Sanford, who is not only a leader in the party but the head of the GOP governors association would be expected to live up to this self described high moral standard that his party wishes to place on everyone. Yet the hypocrisy of it, is that he didn't and now the GOP is stuck yet again to explain this failure to meet a social standard that it set. Democrats don't do this which is the difference. People might tolerate an adulterer. They absolutely have no patience for hypocrites.

Maybe I incorrectly assume that since the Sheriff was going to arrest Phelps for hitting that bong at a house near 5 Points, then he would also have the authority to arrest Sanford who is also nearby. Is 5 Points not in the city? On the adultery law itself, I realize that it's probably not used much to prosecute people these days though the police certainly could if they wanted to.

The Governor's Mansion is in the City of Columbia, not unincorporated Richland County. Besides, when is the last time someone was arrested under those statutes? I don't like Sanford and what he did to his wife is wrong, but it's between them. If he used state funds to see his mistress or if there's a law that covers the inability to contact him, then he should resign. Be careful what we wish for, however, for Andre Bauer is the Lieutenant Governor.

Well, after watching the Sunday morning political shows, such as they are, GOP strategy seems to be gelling around this.....

They are wanting Sanford and his wife to publicly reconcile. If that happens, then the GOP national mantra will be, we admit we are a party of sinners, it's the family that is most important, Sanford did the right thing for his family so all is good, yada, yada..... Now interestingly Sanford's wife seems to have moderated her stance a bit on this possibility. It makes one wonder what deal has been made with her to sit on this for 18 months. As the heiress of the Skil Saw fortune, she doesn't need the money, so it's quite interesting.

Of course we are talking about a "sinner" that got caught. As another famous South Carolinian, Peewee Gaskins, stated once about people that had been caught: " ....they are always sorry, saved, and ready to be forgiven. But turn your back and see if they pick up the bible or the gun". LOL

Jenny Sanford is the brains (and money) behind her husband's political career. She knows her stuff, and has been content to let her hubby get the credit all these years. It's too bad she couldn't be our governor, because I think she would have done a good job. And she wouldn't have been having an affair.

She deserves better. But I'm sure they will make up, he will say that he was like David in the Bible, and he will be a reformed family man who came to his senses, etc. I hope she divorces him, and takes him to the cleaners in the divorce proceedings, for all the world to see.

I don't really care if he stays our governor or not. Our state government is too inefficient, thanks to the legislature having so much power. Sanford, Bauer, whoever - it doesn't really matter. 98% of politicians are crooked by the time they get to that level, anyway.

The NY Times has an article today about all of the political backstabbing going on concerning Sanford's resignation. Generally there are 3 camps. One group of Republicans wants Bauer in and are calling for Sanford's resignation. There is another group of Republicans that doesn't want Bauer in because, like as I mentioned above, it hurts their own candidate's chances for winning the seat next year. Then there are the national Republicans of unknown influence in SC that want all this attention to go away. Finally there are the Democrats who can't decide if Sanford should stay or go. If Sanford stays, it gives them plenty of opportunities to take swipes at the GOP. On the other hand, if Bauer is in office, they consider him very weak and likely to lose the seat to a good democrat.

All in all it's a mess and the NY Times correctly points out, taking place in a state with some very serious problems. While all of this is going on, nothing is being done for the people of the state. However I always say that elections have consequences and it only takes one election for the citizens of the state to do something about this.

One note on Bauer. While he is often derided for his stunts, he does seem to have quietly amassed a great deal of support among SC's senior and retire population for things he has done to help that community. This is a demographic that will always go out and vote.

IMO, the main reason why there's really no consensus as to whether Sanford should go or stay is because the governor has so little power to begin with. The Legislature runs the state. It just simply makes no significant difference either way. Very little will change either way.

After listening to him go further with his confessions, he has confirmed to me that he is a moron. However, like I said maybe this will open the door for you guys to elect a more socially progressive but fiscally conservative governor. Although I know like Alabama, the State Legislature controls everything in South Carolina, but at least having a strong progressive advocate holding the top postion would be a start.

I'm still not sure how this is relevant to Sanford having broken state law. However, if this law isn't relevant and the police force don't feel they don't want to waste time pursing it, then it only highlights my original comment on the matter. Why is it the law enforcement made such a big deal out of a photo of Michael Phelps smoking from a bong that was placed in a British tabloid when something just as silly doesn't apply to Sanford. It's nothing more than an observation on my part.

Archived