So... I'm coming to Charlotte

It would appear that I'm going to be in Charlotte this weekend to see Phantom of the Opera at the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center.

Currently, the plan is to come down Friday and stay Friday and Saturday nights at the Westin, then leave early Sunday morning. What do I need to know? With the holiday weekend and all, will streets be closed? Will it be a madhouse all around?

Further, Google Maps seems to think that getting off I-85 on Freedom Drive and taking that into Uptown is a good idea. Is it?

Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would appear that I'm going to be in Charlotte this weekend to see Phantom of the Opera at the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center.

Currently, the plan is to come down Friday and stay Friday and Saturday nights at the Westin, then leave early Sunday morning. What do I need to know? With the holiday weekend and all, will streets be closed? Will it be a madhouse all around?

Further, Google Maps seems to think that getting off I-85 on Freedom Drive and taking that into Uptown is a good idea. Is it?

Any help is appreciated.

Freedom will work fine. You might gain 5 minutes if you took Brookshire inbound - to 277 - then exit South/Kennilworth (right at the Westin).

I have not heard what the city plans for 4th of July festivities...

Seems like everyone that visits a new city needs some basic advice....where do I get breakfast/lunch? Well, if you're like me, you a bagel works for both - take LYNX to Bland St Station, walk over to South Blvd and go to Brueggers Bagels.

We just go back from Atl and I would have killed for someone to just tell me how to walk to get a bagel....it's the little things.

Both #3 and number #23 buses go up N. Davidson St. to NoDa (around N. Davidson and 36th). For Plaza-Midwood (around Central Ave. at The Plaza and at Thomas St.) you can take #9 or #17.

Friday may seem more like a weekend Uptown, because it is the last business day before the 4th and many offices will be closed. Also, CATS will be running on a Sunday schedule. Saturday is the Red, White, & Boom. Viewing area is supposed to be at the old Memorial Stadium where they are having a family festival from 6pm -10pm, with fireworks scheduled for 9:30pm.

Archived