One More Time, Don't use Windows for anything important.

monsoon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except that this wasn't an issue with Windows, it was an issue with Symantec's software. Looked like the subscription had run out, which means it was the news station's fault. Funny, but hardly worthy of the title "Don't use Windows for anything important."

Windows is the only OS out there that is so poorly designed such that it needs to have AV software installed as an addon. This would not be an issue on another platform.

Your take on this is akin to saying you shouldn't drive an automobile because someone blew a tire for failing to keep the air pressure checked in it. The above video only demonstrates that someone forgot to renew, not that Windows shouldn't be used for anything important.

I'm with Neo on this. Someone forgot to renew the AV subscription. One of the reasons Microsoft hasn't included AV protection with Windows is because of antitrust issues. Symantec and other AV companies have threatened in the past to make an issue of it with the committee that oversees the Microsoft settlment with the government. This is why Microsoft launched Windows OneCare (which was subsequently shut down because of lack of sales) as a separate product. They are now launching a free AV program, but you have to download and install it separately, once again, to avoid antitrust issues over it. For that matter, Symantec and Mcafee are already criticizing the move to launch a free AV and looking at legal avenues to pursue over it.

Your take on this is akin to saying you shouldn't drive an automobile because someone blew a tire for failing to keep the air pressure checked in it. The above video only demonstrates that someone forgot to renew, not that Windows shouldn't be used for anything important.

I'm with Neo on this. Someone forgot to renew the AV subscription. One of the reasons Microsoft hasn't included AV protection with Windows is because of antitrust issues. Symantec and other AV companies have threatened in the past to make an issue of it with the committee that oversees the Microsoft settlment with the government. This is why Microsoft launched Windows OneCare (which was subsequently shut down because of lack of sales) as a separate product. They are now launching a free AV program, but you have to download and install it separately, once again, to avoid antitrust issues over it. For that matter, Symantec and Mcafee are already criticizing the move to launch a free AV and looking at legal avenues to pursue over it.

I've also been using Windows 7 RC and its great.

I agree, albeit I've been running it in a VMware Fusion VM on my MBP. :P

I'm not sure why folks go out of their way to play down certain products like Windows. I'll be the first to say I'm not the biggest fan anymore since my wife and I are 100% Mac and I use a Mac at work, but I also need to use Windows at work since I'm responsible for a 100+ workstation environment that consists of mostly Windows machines.

The error for the reason of this posts is hardly a Windows issue though, this is just a silly thread.

On kind of a related subject. I saw where microsoft has disclosed there is another serious security flaw in the interaction between IE & Media Player, that can cause a PC to become infected just by visiting certain websites. They have said that it is not fixed yet.

I have heard this morning on a news clip that Google has said that it is coming out with an OS to compete with Microsoft. If so, that is pretty significant news. It's well known they run their own OS on all their servers. Haven't had time to look into it.

^

Indeed. The name of their OS will be called Chrome, like their web browser. The OS will initially be available for netbooks only, but will later expand to laptops and desktops. It is built on the Linux Kernel, so it will likely run a number of Linux apps right off as well. The OS is being designed to quickly boot up and then go into the background so you will hardly know it's there, unlike Windows.

Archived