Kalamazoo Population ESTIMATES

As revealed in one of the Grand Rapids subforums, the census released its 2008 population estimates.

While, they don't take into account the economic collapse of the last year, nor should they be considered as anything other than estimates, the news is a slight silver lining in Kalamazoo in these troubled economic times for Michigan.

It may not mean much to anyone else, but according to the Estimates, Kalamazoo (city) did not lose population (2007-2008) for the first time in over 15 years. Kalamazoo has been losing population since the early 1990s. The 1990 census pegged the city's population at around 80,000 and by 2000 that number had dropped to ~77,000 (the city was at a peak for the 1970 census at about 80,000 residents). The city still lost population from 2000 - 2008, but from 2007-08 that drop seemed to have leveled out - in face, according to the estimates, the city gained 1 whole resident.

Not to put a dark spot on this bit of good news, but in my opinion, I think we can expect to see at least a slight decrease again from 2008-2009. Even Portage which gained 150 residents '07-'08 according to the estimates may see a drop. But in the larger view of things, I think this may suggest that things are looking a little brighter.

Here are the rest of the estimates for incorporated places and minor civil divisions in the state:

Census Estimates

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived