Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lowerdeck

Worcester's Midtown Mall

3 posts in this topic

Did anyone here catch an article in the T&G in the last few days about possible redevelopment (or renovation) of the Midtown Mall? I caught it sometime in the last few days and don't remember much now.

I really don't even know where this is. My guess is Front Street across from City Hall and the Common, that block between Main and Commercial.

The link is here: Mall not a delight to council eyes

Correct - it goes between Front Street and Mechanic St, just across from - Norwich I think it is? Used to be a bit of a hangout, than a bad hangout, haven't been in there for years. One of the problems is it is really narrow, and part is basement - not very safe feeling.

In a perfect world, I would love to see a food court, ala a miniature Quincy Market, go in there. The Student Union was already proposed - was supposed to go in City Square. Before the big plans for the project, there was supposed ot be a whole corridor of college offices, with a student center. Neve materialized, and only Quinsig ever showed up.

Not sure how I feel, though. I am still very skeptical of City Square, and even more skeptical of downtown. I think the problem is at this point simply not the right mentality in the city - be that the city council or the population. They just want what isn't self sustaining - you can't recreate the 50s.

Well, if Worcester would still like to remain in the 50s - at least it's nice that some neighborhoods wish to improve themselves. The Canal District and Shrewsbury Street are areas out of towners want to head to. If downtown wants to become the next rising neighborhood in Worcester, good for them. Let the rest of the city do its tailspin if it wishes.