Clarksville population article

Fallingwater

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An article in the Clarksville Leaf Chronicle concerning new census figures places Clarksville's population just shy of 120,000. Some dispute the figure as being too low and say it is now over 125,000.

Census article

I would agree that the population is more than 125,000. BTW what is going on with the major retail project in Oak Grove to be called Oak Grove Village at Ft. Campbell? Does anyone think it will ever materialize and why is on the Kentucky side of the city rather than the Tennessee side?

I thought Clarksville was actually closer to 140,000 than 120,000 especially with all the new growth since 2000. Those figures showed Clarksville at over 105,000 almost ten years ago, I find it hard to believe Clarksville has only gained 15,000 since then. The 2010 estimates will put my suspicions to rest.

I would agree that the population is more than 125,000. BTW what is going on with the major retail project in Oak Grove to be called Oak Grove Village at Ft. Campbell? Does anyone think it will ever materialize and why is on the Kentucky side of the city rather than the Tennessee side?

Sales tax I would assume would be the major driver of putting a retail project in Oak Grove over Clarksville proper. I mean the two locales are indistinguishable there along the base anyway, so taking advantage of the lower sales tax rate in KY makes sense.

• 3 years later...

The 2011 estimate is 136,231. 2012 is not out yet (I believe late May is the scheduled release)...but let's explore some possibilities.

Montgomery County population:

2010 - 172,331

2011 - 176,837 (+4,506)

2012 - 184,468 (+7,631)

Clarksville population:

2010 - 132,929

2011 - 136,231 (+3,302)

2012 - ?

Montgomery County grew by 4,506 from 2010-2011. Clarksville grew by 3,302, which is 73.3% of the total county growth. Since Clarksville is the only incorporated entity in the county, we can assume that most of the growth will be in Clarksville city, or will be annexed shortly (Clarksville comprises about 77% of the county population). So let's assume that, without major annexations, or without the bulk of the 2011-2012 growth being in unincorporated areas, that the trends stay the same.

The math would lead you to assume that Clarksville's 2012 population estimate would be somewhere between 141,823 (assuming the share of growth is the same) and 142,291 (assuming the percentage share of the overall county population remains the same).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^Curious that Clarksville hasn't formed a Metro-type government merger with the county (since there aren't any other incorporated communities in Montgomery County), as it would make sense (and it would jump to being the 3rd largest city in the state).

Well, it would be the third largest city proper...and I think that only matters in terms of bragging rights.

I'm not sure why they have not chosen the metropolitan system. I do think it's easier in counties where there is only one single incorporated place (the two other metro governments in Tennessee -- Hartsville-Trousdale County and Lynchburg-Moore County are/were the only incorporated places in their respective counties).

One usual argument against consolidation is the dilution of the minority vote (since traditionally minorities tend to be heavier within the central city)...but even that doesn't apply as much to Clarksville, since it comprises 3/4 of the county population as it is. 

Sort of a sidenote: I had a professor at UT tell me that was one of the reasons that he did not support the consolidation of Knoxville and Knox County (he was on some sort of commission to research the implications of such a move).

I would think there are two main possibilities here: 

1) Since the unincorporated population of Montgomery County (~42,000) is relatively small in comparison to the city (~142,000), there may be little to no monetary advantage to consolidating duplicate services. Or, the county may already act in sort of a de facto metro government since there aren't really any sizable population centers outside of the city. The schools and libraries are already consolidated. 

2) The unincorporated area residents absolutely oppose consolidation. It takes a majority vote from both sides to approve consolidation. Even with Clarksville's superior numbers, if there was strong opposition from the county area, it would be dead in the water and not even worth the vote.

Edit: while typing this out, I did a little looking and found that #2 is the primary reason.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/article/20110617/opinion01/106170307/EDITORIAL-Growth-summit-provides-ideas

Former Gov. Phil Bredesen - who was making his first public speaking appearance since leaving office - talked about the merits of consolidated government, which has twice died in referendums in Clarksville-Montgomery County.

Although residents living within the city limits here have indicated a willingness to combine the governments, a majority of those outside city limits in Montgomery County have not.

A lot of the "talk" I saw was fairly recent (2010-2012), so it may be something on the horizon again. I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

The 2011 estimate is 136,231. 2012 is not out yet (I believe late May is the scheduled release)...but let's explore some possibilities.

Montgomery County population:

2010 - 172,331

2011 - 176,837 (+4,506)

2012 - 184,468 (+7,631)

Clarksville population:

2010 - 132,929

2011 - 136,231 (+3,302)

2012 - ?

Montgomery County grew by 4,506 from 2010-2011. Clarksville grew by 3,302, which is 73.3% of the total county growth. Since Clarksville is the only incorporated entity in the county, we can assume that most of the growth will be in Clarksville city, or will be annexed shortly (Clarksville comprises about 77% of the county population). So let's assume that, without major annexations, or without the bulk of the 2011-2012 growth being in unincorporated areas, that the trends stay the same.

The math would lead you to assume that Clarksville's 2012 population estimate would be somewhere between 141,823 (assuming the share of growth is the same) and 142,291 (assuming the percentage share of the overall county population remains the same).

And the verdict? 142,519. 228 higher than my higher end guestimate. 

Archived