Mall of Georgia

caribou9

The Gwinnett Braves stadium is open and is right by MOG. A BrandsMart is under construction between the stadium and mall.

What do you think is going to happen with the Mall of Georgia area over the years? Will it eventually become like Gwinnett Place? or turn into a Perimeter? or just say a middle-class suburban mall?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out there recently and I mean that place seems waaay out there. It sort of feels like a little twilight zone to me. You have this huge mall and all of prerequisite sprawl surrounding it but immediately surrounding all that stuff, it looks like you could be out in the boonies outside of Macon or some small town. Weird!

The Gwinnett Braves stadium is open and is right by MOG. A BrandsMart is under construction between the stadium and mall.

What do you think is going to happen with the Mall of Georgia area over the years? Will it eventually become like Gwinnett Place? or turn into a Perimeter? or just say a middle-class suburban mall?

I do not think that it will become like Gwinnett Place...there are too many people there. On a Saturday..the mall was so buzy..it was supposed to be full...but it was very full. Even Nordstrom was full...and because of its upscaleness it is usually the most empty store in the mall.

I noticed the mall did let tacky urban-clothes retailer, Skillz come in. Is that evidence of the direction the mall might go in the future?

That is the exact reason I started this. I was walking by and saw "Skillz" and thought oh god that's the first sign of MOG becoming yet another gwinnett place. I found it weird they put it on that wing of the mall anyways since that is the "upscale" end with Nordstrom, Armani Ex, etc.

But I doubt it could ever get bad as gwinnett place. I mean that huge amount of the malls main demographic has to have somewhere to shop.

I noticed the mall did let tacky urban-clothes retailer, Skillz come in. Is that evidence of the direction the mall might go in the future?

Thats what that was? Well I don't care what it is, just get it out! I think MOG will still do good though. I would rather have a empty space than some store like that. Didn't Perimeter get one too?

Yes there is one in Perimeter too unfortunately. I have no idea how that happens. Even North Point Mall has started letting in retailers like that with their tacky foam board signs. I guess it is just indicative of the economy and they figure any lease is better than an empty storefront. I would have to disagree on the basis of how it hurts the mall's perception in the long run, especially when you're talking about putting these types of stores next to an A/X. Give me a break.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I recently went to the Mall of Georgia. The mall parking lot was pretty full around most of it, but much less so around Nordstrom. When I went into Nordstrom, the store was virtually empty and the selection was pretty poor and everything felt very empty and spaced out. For example, looking at Nordstrom.com and looking at store stock, SouthPark has nearly 2,000 items in the men's section, and Mall of Georgia has barely over 1,000. SouthPark doesn't even feel cramped. However,  Nordstrom MOG is 172,000 square feet compared to SouthPark at 150,000 square feet, and MOG still feels like it has a larger men's department, just with less stuff. I didn't go upstairs so I can't speak for women's. However, a quick look at Nordstrom @ MOG's facebook page shows during events that the store is very busy. I guess the events they have and some very loyal customers keep this store open. Their Men's Burberry section looked pretty untouched. 

Also, the mall in general around Nordstrom was very empty. I think the mall is too large and has too many lower income shoppers to be able to support higher end stores, and it makes me wonder what kind of special rents Simon is giving them to keep the mall's image up. I know people kept talking about Neimans opening a few years back, but I don't think they would have even lasted a year. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived