Will future Southport port replace Wilmington port?

bamabem

A few years ago NC announced that it would build a new major port in Southport and that it would rival ports like Charleston and Hampton Roads (Click here for information). Southport is obviously much closer to the ocean than Wilmington and it at a much wider part of the river. This is why I am questioning if the state is planning to keep both ports running. I do not quite understand why they would keep the Wilmington port if the Southport port's location is so much more competitive. I think that if they removed the Wilmington port, the land that it sits on will make an excellent expansion of the downtown waterfront and would revitalize southern downtown. I know that this was announced when Mike Easley was governor and he is from Southport so if they have abandoned this since the incoming of the new administration then please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A few years ago NC announced that it would build a new major port in Southport and that it would rival ports like Charleston and Hampton Roads (Click here for information). Southport is obviously much closer to the ocean than Wilmington and it at a much wider part of the river. This is why I am questioning if the state is planning to keep both ports running. I do not quite understand why they would keep the Wilmington port if the Southport port's location is so much more competitive. I think that if they removed the Wilmington port, the land that it sits on will make an excellent expansion of the downtown waterfront and would revitalize southern downtown. I know that this was announced when Mike Easley was governor and he is from Southport so if they have abandoned this since the incoming of the new administration then please let me know.

Archived