The Good News Report

atlrvr

The is a thread for positive economic development news for Charlotte.

#1. GMAC has excercised the option for taking an additional floor (an extra 25k sq. ft.) at 440 S. Church. This will allow them room for approximately an additional 75-100 employees.

I had more to add yesterday.

#2. US Bank is launching another investment banking division in Charlotte (bond and credit default swap trading). It will be lead by an ex-BofA person and they are building the team now. Ths is in addition to the announcement amonth ago that was posted on here.

#3. Screen Gems studios (the big movie studio in Wilmington) has stated they will build two sound stages in Charlotte if NC raises the additional tax credits to movie/tv production. This has already passed the state senate and will taken up in the House soon.

#4. It is rumored that Electrolux Appliances will move their US HQ here from Augusta, GA.

#5. Two new wealth management firms have opened in Charlotte within the last week.

#6. USGPE (the formula one race team) has selected their HQ, and it is Charlotte city limits near Northlake Mall.

Diagnostic Devices Inc, who manufacturers medical equipment, is bringing 100 high tech jobs to Charlotte. They are shutting down their plant in China and putting the jobs here. They currently have their HQ in CLT. Pay is expected to range form $30k to $100k...

#3. Screen Gems studios (the big movie studio in Wilmington) has stated they will build two sound stages in Charlotte if NC raises the additional tax credits to movie/tv production. This has already passed the state senate and will taken up in the House soon.

Interesting so there could be competition with Silver Hammer studios.

Interesting about Electrolux. That would be good for the city since it would be something other than a finance job. I hope it happens!

Well I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is that Electrolux is not relocating to Charlotte (not sure where that rumor came from). The good news is that they probably meant Husqvarna... which is moving its official HQ to their Charlotte Statesville Rd. location.

Electrolux sold its outdoor power business to Husqvarna a few years ago, and I believe they operated in the same complex in Augusta, so maybe that's where the confusion stems.

Interesting so there could be competition with Silver Hammer studios.

Yep. The stated reason for the expansion to Charlotte is the availability of non-stop flights to LA and different topography of the region which allows for different geographies to be recreated here which can't be filmed in Wilmington.

Yep. The stated reason for the expansion to Charlotte is the availability of non-stop flights to LA and different topography of the region which allows for different geographies to be recreated here which can't be filmed in Wilmington.

Good to hear... Definitely another reason why our airport is such an asset to the metro area.

I don't know that this is exactly 'economic development' but the observer has an article today about an upswing in construction -- a modest increase in building permits from last month (and higher than the national numbers) though still down from the same point last year. Building supply places are reporting an increase in activity and sales as well and builders are saying they've been hiring back some of their workers. I don't think anyone expects leaps and bounds for improvement in the economy, so inching improvement is a nice sign. Hopefully it will continue.

Thought this fell under the topic so here it goes...

Charlotte based Can-Am Custom Trucks Inc, was recently noted for converting nearly 100 FedEx diesel delivery trucks that are used in CA to electric hybrid trucks. Several other companies such as UPS and Pepsi already use these types of vehicles, but I'm thinking this may become a popular thing. If this works out well for FedEx hopefully they can follow suite with more trucks in their fleet.

Edited by dbull75

The Obsever reported today that Charlotte is getting a 295,000 sq. ft. VA medical center. Which will replace the one up in Univ. City that is about 1/5 the size. The center is scheduled to open 2013, and my guess is it will create 300-400 new jobs, as well as save a lot of local veterans from trips up to Salisbury, though I assume is they need true hospital care, they still will have to go there, as the Charlotte proposal is only primary care and outpatient services.

The Obsever reported today that Charlotte is getting a 295,000 sq. ft. VA medical center. Which will replace the one up in Univ. City that is about 1/5 the size. The center is scheduled to open 2013, and my guess is it will create 300-400 new jobs, as well as save a lot of local veterans from trips up to Salisbury, though I assume is they need true hospital care, they still will have to go there, as the Charlotte proposal is only primary care and outpatient services.

I read that too...they said East Charlotte, but didn't say exactly where: doesn't the city own most/all of Eastland Mall?

Some people are doing well from the local economy. This month's Boat USA magazine has Rick Hendrick's brand new 163 ft yacht, called "Wheels" featured on the cover. It is the 37th largest yacht built in the USA. Of course given our location, the ship won't be in Charlotte. There was mention of a NASCAR Yacht Club that had other members from Charlotte.

Some people are doing well from the local economy. This month's Boat USA magazine has Rick Hendrick's brand new 163 ft yacht, called "Wheels" featured on the cover. It is the 37th largest yacht built in the USA. Of course given our location, the ship won't be in Charlotte. There was mention of a NASCAR Yacht Club that had other members from Charlotte.

It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't keep it in Lake Norman with the other oversized boats. That would look sort of idiotic there.

It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't keep it in Lake Norman with the other oversized boats. That would look sort of idiotic there.

I don't know how you could get a 163' boat to Charlotte. This thing is literally a ship.

I believe this might be the largest boat on Lake Norman and it is less than 90' for comparison purposes.

A small boost will be Biotage moving their U.S. HQ to Charlotte from Charlottesville. Biotage is a Swedish manufacture of medical instruments. This is mostly notewothy not for the number of jobs (I'm guessing less than 20) but the fact that Charlotte is quitely attracting a large number of suppliers of medical instruments. Not as sexy as drugs (the legal kind), but certainly a more stable and growing part of the bio-science market.

The move should be complete by the end of the year.

It's been confirmed that the FBI will be building a new $45 million 171,000 sq ft facility somewhere in Charlotte. Their current location is in uptown. I would imagine that this would create several hundred jobs.

Also, Sykes Industrial is in talks to bring the HQ of a company here that will bring over 100+ jobs... No actual word on who the prospective company is at this point.