The Good News Report

atlrvr

15 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

So you'd be more annoyed by not being able to see a few out of area teams than you don't care about than your hometown having a team. Interesting take...

What? I pay for MLB.tv, I do not pay for cable with all the RSN's. When my team plays any of those 4, I can not watch the game as they are ALL blacked out as I am in all 4 teams "home markets." An unreasonable amount of out of market games are blacked out because of the completely ridiculous number of teams that claim this market. If Charlotte had a team, only games my team plays against Charlotte would be blacked out. In that case, I would probably be at the game. That is the original point of blackout rules, so people go to the game (Changed a little with RSN's). So the MLB is saying Cincinnati is within a reasonable distance for me to go to the game instead of watching it on TV?

I am for Charlotte getting a team, until then, 4 teams shouldn't be able to get a chunk of this market.

Edited by Squid7085
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

No they are only in the extended viewing areas. We aren't part of any TV market. 

So you'd be more annoyed by not being able to see a few out of area teams than you don't care about than your hometown having a team. Interesting take...

He's talking about MLB.tv's ridiculous black out rules.

I'm a Jays fan.  Whenever they play the Orioles (A LOT) I can't watch the games on MLB.tv because they are blacked out.  Because I'm in the Orioles viewing market.  Except I don't get MASN.  Which leads to me cancelling MLB.tv.  Because it's the dumbest f**king rule ever.

• Like 1

Just now, ah59396 said:

He's talking about MLB.tv's ridiculous black out rules.

I'm a Jays fan.  Whenever they play the Orioles (A LOT) I can't watch the games on MLB.tv because they are blacked out.  Because I'm in the Orioles viewing market.  Except I don't get MASN.  Which leads to me cancelling MLB.tv.  Because it's the dumbest f**king rule ever.

Oh gotcha. As a Braves fan, when I go back to Charlotte obviously every game is on TV and radio. I'm willing to sacrifice the accessibility. 

The comment from planners that uptown could not handle a mlb stadium is laughable. I would love to see the "studies" behind that. It's just no developers have "lobbied" them yet. Half? the area within the loop is barren and there is little traffic going into the city at 6pm and nothing at all happening at 10pm. Sounds like an off hand comment or lack of desire to me.

Atlanta moving their stadium out of the city was a terrible move and contrary to every other teams moves. I would be shocked if MLB gave a franchise to an owner with a plan like that. Of course once you have it you can then do as you wish next stadium cycle (see atl again).

I still think it's a pipe dream. But it is an awesome one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Oh gotcha. As a Braves fan, when I go back to Charlotte obviously every game is on TV and radio. I'm willing to sacrifice the accessibility. 

And that makes sense they would get all that coverage. The Braves are really the "Hometown team" for Charlotte, which was funny to me when I moved here given the hatred for all other Atlanta teams. Like mentioned above there are teams that claim this market that don't even have widespread access to their RSN channel. It is just silly. I'd argue you have more transplant fans currently living in Charlotte of many other teams from the Northeast than Cincinnati or Baltimore.

Edited by Squid7085

I actually don't see why they couldn't make the existing knights uptown ballpark into an MLB stadium. You just take part of the park up to where Poplar is, you take the 225 S Mint block, and the empty grass field on the existing ballpark site. I know the logistics of taking land from the park are difficult, and also I think the 225 S Mint lot if I remember from another thread is slated to be developed, but why not prevent that lot from being developed for the time being and see if Charlotte can land an MLB team...

My proposal would probably be impossible but I'm waiting for someone much smarter than me to tell me there is no way it can happen

I was thinking  along north tryon like where the police want to leave. 1st ward park would also be no great loss in my opinion.

This is a good read from today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/sports/how-many-mlb-parks-have-you-visited/

I think they nailed Atlanta and other stadiums in the middle of no where pretty well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I was thinking  along north tryon like where the police want to leave. 1st ward park would also be no great loss in my opinion.

This is a good read from today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/sports/how-many-mlb-parks-have-you-visited/

I think they nailed Atlanta and other stadiums in the middle of no where pretty well.

I made this a couple years ago.  But here's PNC Park plopped just north of uptown and south of NoDa on some old industrial lots:

IMG_5991.JPG.9ee8ee931f4fc9ce11f5a55159408bf8.JPG

It honestly surprised me how small a major league ball park could be.  This probably couldn't work now as I think the light rail bridge would crash into the edge of the field, but it gives you an idea.

34 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I made this a couple years ago.  But here's PNC Park plopped just north of uptown and south of NoDa on some old industrial lots:

It honestly surprised me how small a major league ball park could be.  This probably couldn't work now as I think the light rail bridge would crash into the edge of the field, but it gives you an idea.

Don't forget that MLB has alignment requires for it's fields, which drastically reduces the places a stadium can be built in the uptownish area. 

38 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

What are the alignment rules? Can you try to put that down on the cmpd site? Take out the surface like as needed?

Just started doing some more research on the topic, looks it's more or a "guideline" now and not really enforced for orientation of the field. But fields typically, MLB fields that is, face NE or SE.  

Rule 1.04 "It is desirable that the line from home base through the pitchers plate to second
base shall run East-Northeast."  From OFFICIAL BASEBALL RULES
2017 Edition aka MLB rule book

Edited by Popsickle
Add MLB rule book quote

I am not sure if this should actually be here or in the Bad News thread, but here it is.  Seattle has the most construction cranes in America.  It is a bit dubious as Charlotte and several other metro areas were not even on the list.  Phoenix, my current location, is on the list with 10.  Any idea what the current count is there? I figured it would be around 10 depending on the construction timing of the various office buildings and when the report/count was actually done.  So, I am posting it in good news thinking that given Charlotte's size relative to its competition, our crane count is probably pretty good.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattle-is-again-crane-capital-of-america-but-lead-is-shrinking/

http://assets.rlb.com/production/2017/02/01000131/2017-01-Crane-Index.pdf

Maybe ah59396 can confirm the current Seattle count while he rocks his Run CMC shirt or his game of thrones edition Kings of the South Panthers shirt.

45 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

I am not sure if this should actually be here or in the Bad News thread, but here it is.  Seattle has the most construction cranes in America.  It is a bit dubious as Charlotte and several other metro areas were not even on the list.  Phoenix, my current location, is on the list with 10.  Any idea what the current count is there? I figured it would be around 10 depending on the construction timing of the various office buildings and when the report/count was actually done.  So, I am posting it in good news thinking that given Charlotte's size relative to its competition, our crane count is probably pretty good.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattle-is-again-crane-capital-of-america-but-lead-is-shrinking/

Maybe ah59396 can confirm the current Seattle count while he rocks his Run CMC shirt or his game of thrones edition Kings of the South Panthers shirt.

Those crane links are from last January, and they have been proven to be complete B.S.  I believe there was discussion about the Seattle link in a Nashville thread a few months ago.  New York City had over 100 at that time when the map showed 21.  Places like Miami, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta etc. weren't even included.  My city Austin also had more than 20 at that time.  Seattle is booming for sure, but the rest of the crane data is nonsense.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The ATX said:

Those crane links are from last January, and they have been proven to be complete B.S.  I believe there was discussion about the Seattle link in a Nashville thread a few months ago.  New York City had over 100 at that time when the map showed 21.  Places like Miami, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta etc. weren't even included.  My city Austin also had more than 20 at that time.  Seattle is booming for sure, but the rest of the crane data is nonsense.  

Not to mention New York City doesn't even need cranes to build most buildings 6-20 floors. I see it all the time in my neighborhood.

8 hours ago, pgsinger said:

Is this Cranes in the Metro Area or Cranes in the CBD? because Charlotte has way more than 10 in the Metro. In the Urban Area/South End

Edited by Guest

It seems like crane index referenced in the article only surveys a handful of cities (which the reporter neglects to mention). 

I feel like a crowdsourced tower-crane index for different metro areas could be fairly easy to pull together, verifiable, and an interesting economic indicator. 

I'll take a couple days off work and ride around Seattle and get an official count.  I'm sure my boss will understand.  I think Charlotte's batting well above it's average in crane count.

Last I read, Toronto had the most in North America with like, 81.  Which I would believe.

That said, I feel like sq footage u/c is a better indication of development than a crane index.  Of course, cranes are more fun.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I'll take a couple days off work and ride around Seattle and get an official count.  I'm sure my boss will understand.  I think Charlotte's batting well above it's average in crane count.

Last I read, Toronto had the most in North America with like, 81.  Which I would believe.

That said, I feel like sq footage u/c is a better indication of development than a crane index.  Of course, cranes are more fun.

I follow NYC pretty closely and I can't even quantify the development, so I can't imagine anyone having as much development growth as NYC. 

Midtown Manhattan, Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Harlem: 65 buildings

Flatiron, Chelsea: 8 buildings

Lower East Side: 8 buildings

Financial District: 23 buildings 

Highline only: 20 buildings

Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Long Island City, Astoria: 60 buildings

Downtown Brooklyn: 25 buildings

Park Slope, Atlantic Terminal Area, 18 buildings

oh no, I've become the NYC fanboy. :-o

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, ah59396 said:

I've always thought the western corner (see highlighted section of pic) would be the best candidate for a baseball field. For so many reasons.

1- The area now is largely undeveloped and even consists of several purely grass parcels bounded by roads that are only used for the Pipe & Foundry (I believe that's what it's called) annex over there. Which could and should be bought out and relocated elsewhere as it is a complete eyesore to uptown and southend (the main factory being on the Southend side).

2- The current ballpark uptown is in an absolutely atrocious location as it doesn't feasibly allow for expansion into an MLB-size park (its days were numbered from the get go). All that is going to eventually do is incentivize the city to not support building a new MLB stadium because they won't want to demolish a relatively new (assuming CLT gets a bid in the near future).

3 - With the eventual inception of Gateway Station, assuming a Lynx line gets to also use that track route, my proposed location would be right next to BOA Stadium (especially if the baseball stadium was built on the far right side of my highlighted area), which would be a PERFECT location to have a stop between the two stadiums right below, but slightly after 277 for game-goers before reaching the Gateway stop.

4 - There would still be TONS of acreage available for bars and restaurants to revitalize that section that would no doubt get tons of business with an additional ball park there and additional residential units that would surely be added.

5 - It would have an amazing view of the skyline if the back of the home plate was towards the skyline. Plus the majority of the seats would be oriented towards the CBD.

6 - The stadium would be pushed up against 277... and who doesn't like driving by stadiums on interstates?!

I really can't think of a better spot.

IMG_3612.JPG

Edited by Hunted
Uploaded better pic
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hunted said:

I've always thought the western corner (see highlighted section of pic) would be the best candidate for a baseball field. For so many reasons.

1- The area now is largely undeveloped and even consists of several purely grass parcels bounded by roads that are only used for the Pipe & Foundry (I believe that's what it's called) annex over there. Which could and should be bought out and relocated elsewhere as it is a complete eyesore to uptown and southend (the main factory being on the Southend side).

2- The current ballpark uptown is in an absolutely atrocious location as it doesn't feasibly allow for expansion into an MLB-size park (its days were numbered from the get go). All that is going to eventually do is incentivize the city to not support building a new MLB stadium because they won't want to demolish a relatively new (assuming CLT gets a bid in the near future).

3 - With the eventual inception of Gateway Station, assuming a Lynx line gets to also use that track route, my proposed location would be right next to BOA Stadium (especially if the baseball stadium was built on the far right side of my highlighted area), which would be a PERFECT location to have a stop between the two stadiums right below, but slightly after 277 for game-goers before reaching the Gateway stop.

4 - There would still be TONS of acreage available for bars and restaurants to revitalize that section that would no doubt get tons of business with an additional ball park there and additional residential units that would surely be added.

5 - It would have an amazing view of the skyline if the back of the home plate was towards the skyline. Plus the majority of the seats would be oriented towards the CBD.

6 - The stadium would be pushed up against 277... and who doesn't like driving by stadiums on interstates?!

IMG_3612.JPG

not available anymore. They built a building there. 

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 12.51.00 PM.png

29 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

not available anymore. They built a building there. 

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 12.51.00 PM.png

What a waste. I knew my pic was outdated, but I figured there'd still be enough available land (especially with a relocation and subsequent demolition of the industrial stuff over there). That stuff has no place within the loop with the direction it's headed.

Nonetheless, there should still be a light rail stop on Morehead st by the stadium.

1 hour ago, Hunted said:

IMG_3612.JPG

I honestly don't know where you could put an MLB stadium within uptown and have a great view of uptown like there currently is, it's sad.

Add in the new minor league park and the timeline expansion of MLB I am highly doubtful Charlotte will get a team. 

5-10 years most likely in or coming out of another recession and I believe/hope the city will be more focused on the Silver Line and it's funding. To drop another cool $200 million on an MLB stadium.  

Lastly, I think the city could use that amount of money for something else to better the city more than an MLB team would. 

Edited by Popsickle

6 minutes ago, Hunted said:

What a waste. I knew my pic was outdated, but I figured there'd still be enough available land (especially with a relocation and subsequent demolition of the industrial stuff over there). That stuff has no place within the loop with the direction it's headed.

Nonetheless, there should still be a light rail stop on Morehead st by the stadium.

Gotta love Suburban buildings that look like ritzy barns inside of a very urban area

31 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Gotta love Suburban buildings that look like ritzy barns inside of a very urban area

It's beyond me how any of that crap gets approved. There's a stark contrast between the west and east sides of the tracks. I'm all for each area/ward having their own individual identities, but some stuff is just flat out eyesores.

Speaking of eyesores, what's the deal with that electrical/power block by Graham/Mint a block up from the stadium?! That might be the ugliest, ill-placed thing in Uptown.

57 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

I honestly don't know where you could put an MLB stadium within uptown and have a great view of uptown like there currently is, it's sad.

Add in the new minor league park and the timeline expansion of MLB I am highly doubtful Charlotte will get a team. 

5-10 years most likely in or coming out of another recession and I believe/hope the city will be more focused on the Silver Line and it's funding. To drop another cool $200 million on an MLB stadium.  

Lastly, I think the city could use that amount of money for something else to better the city more than an MLB team would. 

This isn't uptown, but the view would be solid if oriented correctly.

Imagine wedging Camden Yards into Camp North End and developing a baseball village.  Could keep all the cool brick work buildings a la Camden, integrate in the Red line down the road, great views of uptown, help further revitalize North Tryon.  Here's my exceptionally crappy representation:  (someone with more skill can probably actually make this work since i'm using SNIPIT and MSPAINT)

northend.thumb.PNG.b5935a9ba36e3e25d0f66f745a80850b.PNG