The Good News Report

atlrvr

Charter Spectrum Cable leased 143,xxx sq ft in Arrowpoint in the building that  Maersk owns (Old Royal insurance HQ) . They have been offering that space for a while. This means new jobs as most of Spectrum Cable buildings across Arrowood Rd are owned by them why would they lease this so much space. They are based in Stamford CT a very high cost place of doing business and I am  wondering if they are adding 100s of jobs here?  Sometime much more than reported is at work here trust me. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article164816437.html?CID=9370575&BSD_SID=30355  Maybe they have discovered Charlotte is a much more cheaper place to operate versus CT. 

• Like 3

TWC rezoned their corporate campus here a few years ago, that allowed like 2000 more jobs.  That process started before their merger talks, but they continued the rezoning regardless.  After the merger, they laid off/transferred most of their account and finance jobs I think to CT, or wherever Charter previously housed those people.

I do agree that Charlotte will probably grow again as a place with deep talent pool at lower costs, and that news above seems to be a sign in the right direction.  They also expanded their Ballantyne office space by 10-20k sf last month I believe.

Below is the site plan for TWC's planned Charlotte campus....perhaps the Maersk is temporary space while they construct the first phase of expansion.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/089-098/2014-091 approved site plan.pdf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Charter Spectrum Cable leased 143,xxx sq ft in Arrowpoint in the building that  Maersk owns (Old Royal insurance HQ) . They have been offering that space for a while. This means new jobs as most of Spectrum Cable buildings across Arrowood Rd are owned by them why would they lease this so much space. They are based in Stamford CT a very high cost place of doing business and I am  wondering if they are adding 100s of jobs here?  Sometime much more than reported is at work here trust me. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article164816437.html?CID=9370575&BSD_SID=30355  Maybe they have discovered Charlotte is a much more cheaper place to operate versus CT. 

Stamford is the "official" HQ of Charter, but when they announced the HQ move from St. Louis to Stamford in 2012, the VAST majority of the employees (~2,600) were not moved. About 100 senior level leaders moved to the New York area and all the middle class people were left in St. Louis. All in, the Stamford office has around 200 people in a company with 91,000 employees now. They leased an additional floor in Stamford (so they have 3 floors now) to absorb some TWC Manhattan employees being moved. The chance of the top leaders moving out of the NYC area is 0%. Thomas Rutledge is still the same CEO that moved Charter's HQ out of St. Louis to 10 miles down the street from his house in CT. He likes his mansion, access to NYC, and the ability to network with the top brass of entertainment / cable (Viacom, CBS, Time Warner, Comcast, etc...) 

Perhaps, Charter is looking at Charlotte as the location they want to grow as an Operations / Administrative HQ rather than St. Louis. Overtime, as St. Louis has attrition, they might want to replace each of those employees in Charlotte rather than St. Louis and they are lining up the space they need to do that now. It doesn't make sense long term to staff St. Louis and Charlotte separately. They will need to integrate the teams and chose Charlotte for some operations and St. Louis for others. They will get more synergies from operating like one company.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

This space maybe temporary in the Maersk building while they develop their campus. Charlotte is probably easier to attract people to than St Louis and maybe they want both hubs to grow as their size is huge now. I wouldnt think that any HQ move would happen now but who knows. I thought I saw a building permit on the TW Spectrum Arrowood campus a few weeks ago but now I cant find it. It was pretty substantial. 

• Like 1

Another Charlotte tech success story. Stratifyd just won $7 million in additional funding. Subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/08/02/stratifyd-ceo-talks-startup-s-7m-series-a-we-look.html

Key takeaway "Stratifyd keeps an office of about 12 people in Beijing as well as a smaller office in London. The company currently has about 25 employees in its Charlotte headquarters, and Wang has plans to add talent here. Last year, Stratifyd rebranded from its former name Taste Analytics and moved into an office just outside of uptown. The company previously kept an office at UNC Charlotte. Wang says the company is already outgrowing its office at 1431 W. Morehead St" 

Charlotte's tech community is growing organically and this is good news since the wages tend to be high. Here is what they do

http://www.stratifyd.com/ and founder is a UNC Charlotte grad! 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Good news from the local start up scene from the Business Journal article today.

"Twenty-one local startups have raised over $380 million in venture capital through July, according to new data from PitchBook, a database that tracks venture capital deals. That is up from about $120 million raised in 22 venture capital deals for all of 2016. Charlotte also had a strong year for VC deals in 2015 with 28 startups raising about $340 million throughout the year"   This will make it a record year for Charlotte firms. 

Tech companies like AvidXchange biggest winner over the last few years raised $28 mil this year, MapAnything raised $33 mil, SiteHands raised $15 mil, Vertigo Media raised $10 mil, Stratifyd raised $7 mil. By comparison only $33 million a year was raised between 2011-2014 for Charlotte companies.  

Our organic start up tech community is really starting to get noticed. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/08/04/exclusive-could-2017-bebiggest-year-yet-for.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=scroll&ed=2017-08-04&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1501874567&j=78650341

In other tech news Integration Point a global trade software firm is expanding by 30% head count and more office space in south Charlotte. 180 work here in Charlotte now. https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/08/04/software-company-adds-floor-at-south-charlotte.html

• Like 2

On live from Quail Hollow on the Golf Channel this evening, when asked about how this major impacts Charlotte, Johnny Harris said "my friends will make some important announcements tomorrow". Wonder if this isn't the time they announce the project, while the National (fake news) major media swarms south Charlotte. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ a bank moving from one part of town to another (and expanding) is where my money is.

A poster did post they would share renderings of Tryon Place tomorrow around lunch.

If this is Ally, I'm going to have to agree it was a little over dramatic Re: Tryon Place thread. This board always Leaks news like that a couple days prior. Recent example being "A bank in America" looking to anchor the Lincoln Harris site. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

A poster did post they would share renderings of Tryon Place tomorrow around lunch.

If this is Ally, I'm going to have to agree it was a little over dramatic Re: Tryon Place thread. This board always Leaks news like that a couple days prior. Recent example being "A bank in America" looking to anchor the Lincoln Harris site. 

Haha, we had that Bank of America scoop for easily 6-9 months. We've gotten better about not scooping, now that we are known, and there are implications for our actions. We used to not give a rats ass what happened. That is a very valid point though. 

Edited by Guest

Here is the official announcement from the state about Allstate and its new 2250 jobs. Biggest job announcement in at least 10 years in Charlotte. https://edpnc.com/allstate-announces-major-2250-job-expansion-charlotte-operations/  Maybe the biggest all time MetLife was 1300, Sealed Air was 1200 jobs etc 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1