The Good News Report

atlrvr

US Bank continues to grow in Charlotte now up to 690 employees pretty good for a bank that does not have 1 single branch in the entire state.  And they are looking sometime in the future to consolidate their space can you say US Bank tower? 

From the Charlotte Business Journal subscriber article 

U.S. Bank continues to grow in Charlotte. The Minneapolis-based company has 690 employees based here today, split between a few different offices. That is up from about 400 Charlotte employees two years ago. Most employees in Charlotte are in fixed income, commercial real estate, risk management, corporate trust and corporate banking roles. The company does not have retail branches in Charlotte today.

Jim Kelligrew, vice chairman and co-head of wholesale banking, told the CBJTuesday the company will most likely look for a larger office to house all of its local employees down the road.

Here is the article link https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/09/13/u-s-bank-keeps-growing-in-charlotte.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=scroll&ed=2017-09-13&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1505330568&j=78817591

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

US Bank continues to grow in Charlotte now up to 690 employees pretty good for a bank that does not have 1 single branch in the entire state.  And they are looking sometime in the future to consolidate their space can you say US Bank tower? 

From the Charlotte Business Journal subscriber article 

U.S. Bank continues to grow in Charlotte. The Minneapolis-based company has 690 employees based here today, split between a few different offices. That is up from about 400 Charlotte employees two years ago. Most employees in Charlotte are in fixed income, commercial real estate, risk management, corporate trust and corporate banking roles. The company does not have retail branches in Charlotte today.

Jim Kelligrew, vice chairman and co-head of wholesale banking, told the CBJTuesday the company will most likely look for a larger office to house all of its local employees down the road.

Here is the article link https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/09/13/u-s-bank-keeps-growing-in-charlotte.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=scroll&ed=2017-09-13&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1505330568&j=78817591

Yep at Lincoln Harris Tower #2

7 minutes ago, jednc said:

Oh gosh. Prepare for all the responses asking; "are you kidding or do you know something?" Just remember, you brought it on yourself!

LOL! Its just the last option that meets their needs,

• Brooklyn Village's Office Tower is too many years in the future

• Rail Yard will not accomodate them, neither will 10 Tryon. 

• Duke Energy will occupy all of their tower. 

• Tryon Place is majority leased

• Not enough space in Lincoln Harris #1

• There is a yet to be announced small office project uptown, but its less than 200k sq feet.

• Levine will never actually build a 20 story office tower, and if he does it'll be UNCC occupied.

• Nobody REALLY wants to lease at 300 South Brevard.

image.png

Edited by Guest

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article174811336.html

New HQ coming to Charlotte.

Company: NN Inc.
Industry: High-precision metal and plastic components for medical, aerospace and automotive markets
Size: 5,400 global employees. 40 manufacturing sites worldwide. 
Sales: Public on NASDAQ. $833 million in annual sales in 2016. 
Incentives: $288k in property tax credits, JDIG $3.7M, $360k in community college training
Jobs: Total of 200. 175 local hires. Average salary of $130,000

They are moving their HQ from Johnson City, TN who will lose their largest public company HQ. We beat Atlanta to land the re-location. Good win of high paying jobs that continues to establish Charlotte as a high quality knowledge based hub of manufacturing companies and industrial companies headquarters'.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

This is a great win for Charlotte another corporate HQ and 200 high paying jobs.  Leasing at least 50K at the new 152,000 sq ft Waverly office building.  I am sure our CLT airport came into play here too as this is a global company.  Here is the Business Journal article  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/09/22/tennessee-manufacturer-headed-to-charlotte-with.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

Heres the view from Johnson City which is a great little town but a global company like this just like Lowes needs a bigger city with the air connections and to attract talent.  http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Business/2017/09/22/NN-Inc-to-move-headquarters-to-Charlotte.html?ci=stream&lp=1&p=1   It sounds like when they sold their manufacturing plants there the reason to be there was not as much anymore. 

This is truly a global company with plants in 4 continents http://www.nninc.com/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Heres the view from Johnson City which is a great little town but a global company like this just like Lowes needs a bigger city with the air connections and to attract talent.  http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Business/2017/09/22/NN-Inc-to-move-headquarters-to-Charlotte.html?ci=stream&lp=1&p=1   It sounds like when they sold their manufacturing plants there the reason to be there was not as much anymore. 

This is truly a global company with plants in 4 continents http://www.nninc.com/

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Mayor David Tomita the reason NN inc. moved to Charlotte is to be near CLT.   I don't think Johnson City can fix that.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2017 at 2:16 PM, KJHburg said:

Sounds a bit fishy, and find it hard to be positive about this, Johnson City got screwed, and we could be yet another spring board ourselves given the integrity displayed here.  Reality/economics are what they are, but what comes goes.

10 hours ago, nowensone said:

Sounds a bit fishy, and find it hard to be positive about this, Johnson City got screwed, and we could be yet another spring board ourselves given the integrity displayed here.  Reality/economics are what they are, but what comes goes.

We had our Chiquita moment but I think they sold the local plants so the underlying reason to be there was not there anymore.  We have had some jobs move out of town by office consolidation before but I think the CLT airport is a major factor in this.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nowensone said:

Wow. You sound personally angry here. "Lack of integrity"? Sheesh....

He's trying to grow an international business from a town small enough to be mentioned in a Travis Tritt song. He did not up and move the entire company. There are still NN jobs and facilities there. As was stated, though, it's tough to attract top talent to some rink a dink town. This isn't a fact that's hard to verify.

Chiquita was one thing - I don't even know why they wanted to be here - but this actually makes sense. Now cheer up. It's a great day to be alive. 

3 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Wow. You sound personally angry here. "Lack of integrity"? Sheesh....

He's trying to grow an international business from a town small enough to be mentioned in a Travis Tritt song. He did not up and move the entire company. There are still NN jobs and facilities there. As was stated, though, it's tough to attract top talent to some rink a dink town. This isn't a fact that's hard to verify.

Chiquita was one thing - I don't even know why they wanted to be here - but this actually makes sense. Now cheer up. It's a great day to be alive. 

I don't even think Chiquita was a bad deal.  To my understanding, they are going to pay back everything they got so it's a wash outside of the wasted effort.   I am assuming that many of the families that moved to the area stayed and that they improved the labor force locally.  

Not every deal works out and you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.  As long as efforts are made to ensure incentives are paid back if the agreement is not fulfilled...I am ok with dozens of Chiquita type deals.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

I don't even think Chiquita was a bad deal.  To my understanding, they are going to pay back everything they got so it's a wash outside of the wasted effort.   I am assuming that many of the families that moved to the area stayed and that they improved the labor force locally.  

Not every deal works out and you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.  As long as efforts are made to ensure incentives are paid back if the agreement is not fulfilled...I am ok with dozens of Chiquita type deals.  

Edited by caterpillar2

On 9/12/2017 at 2:30 AM, queensguy06 said:

Im curious where your data is derived from.  According to the Urban Land Institute (cited in This Time article from June), Charlotte ranks 18th in relative growth of population of 25-34 year olds.  Still not too shabby, but behind even Raleigh and a far cry from #1 "in the country."

I think a lot of people are relatively naive about geography when it comes to "the West Coast."  For starters, I don't think people realize that it is roughly the same distance from Charlotte to Denver (1500 miles) as it is from Denver to Seattle (1300 miles).

I personally believe Denver is in the top 3 candidates for HQ2 for various reasons, all of which are based on statistical data.  I'd love to see Charlotte land Amazon, but as someone else mentioned they are the quintessential dark horse candidate.  I am all for rooting for the home team, however gratuitous 'fanboy' banter passing anecdotal info off as fact is not only sophomoric at its most basic, but also counterproductive to the outcome we see as our ultimate goal.

Having said that, this is just my two cents and I will certainly eat crow if/when Charlotte is announced the winner later on in 2018.

59 minutes ago, kermit said:

Nope. The incentives were repaid to the state and city per the contract. Our 'incompetent mayor' was elected in 2015 and the incentives were agreed to in 2011 -- are you suggesting that Jennifer Roberts can travel back in time?

I am fine with people posting off the cuff but outright lying wastes everyone's time.

Ah! You got me. I was thinking of Perdue. I had just gotten to town.  I knew it was someone not too smart.  Sorry to have wasted your time. I know that you have so little time to waste on the internet.  LOL.

1 minute ago, caterpillar2 said:

Ah! You got me. I was thinking of Perdue. I had just gotten to town.  I knew it was someone not too smart.  Sorry to have wasted your time. I know that you have so little time to waste on the internet.  LOL.

Why couldn't you have just said you were mistaken?    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

and for the sake of clarity Beverly Perdue was the Governor at the time. Anthony Foxx was mayor.