The Good News Report

atlrvr

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Nope. The incentives were repaid to the state and city per the contract. Our 'incompetent mayor' was elected in 2015 and the incentives were agreed to in 2011 -- are you suggesting that Jennifer Roberts can travel back in time?

I am fine with people posting off the cuff but outright lying wastes everyone's time.

Please don't confuse him with the facts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Wow. You sound personally angry here. "Lack of integrity"? Sheesh....

He's trying to grow an international business from a town small enough to be mentioned in a Travis Tritt song. He did not up and move the entire company. There are still NN jobs and facilities there. As was stated, though, it's tough to attract top talent to some rink a dink town. This isn't a fact that's hard to verify.

Chiquita was one thing - I don't even know why they wanted to be here - but this actually makes sense. Now cheer up. It's a great day to be alive. 

I see nothing there that says personally angry, and I have no connection with Johnson City, but I do feel for them a bit.  The article KJH referenced explains how they arrived there, and some of their responses, the lack of integrity reference was to the info contained in the article.  One can detect some fishy-ness there.  And Toz nailed it, couldn't help but think of Chiquitta when I read that, even if it's not really the same.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:
2 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Why couldn't you have just said you were mistaken?    

Because of the person to whom I was responding. Some people don't understand a simple apology. But, I normally would have. 

2 hours ago, kermit said:

and for the sake of clarity Beverly Perdue was the Governor at the time. Anthony Foxx was mayor.

Thank you. Now we can get on with more important issues. 

21 hours ago, nowensone said:

I see nothing there that says personally angry, and I have no connection with Johnson City, but I do feel for them a bit.  The article KJH referenced explains how they arrived there, and some of their responses, the lack of integrity reference was to the info contained in the article.  One can detect some fishy-ness there.  And Toz nailed it, couldn't help but think of Chiquitta when I read that, even if it's not really the same.

I read the article as well and found your response randomly hostile, but that's just me. I am aware of Chiquita & agreed with those points. I just think for this type of business, the move is necessary. 

• Like 1

No, no hostile words were used, nor angry opinions stated, and the response wasn't random either, you're either the recipient or victim of corporate locations, a mix of both in this and the Bad News thread, which were presumably created  in part for those respective scenarios.  In the case of Johnson City, it sounds like they don't have a long list of other opportunities, so I think it's part of a broader point to be wary of things like this, and companies who do this with any frequency.

I'm now wondering if you have some connection at play here.  But to be fair, I'm certain I had had a few beers when I posted that, so perhaps you read my mind and not my words.  :alc:

Very positive office market report from JLL shows great job growth, more office space absorption, rising office rents etc. You can download the report here

http://www.jll.com/charlotte/en-us/Pages/RemoteResearch.aspx?URL=http://www.jll.com/united-states/en-us/research/8592/us-charlotte-office-insight-q3-2017-jll

it shows Charlotte has already 1,100,000 sq ft this year through the end of 3rd quarter.  That is usually the average for the entire year.  

• Like 1

In follow up to the report above JLL has the information out about major cities around the country. 

Charlotte is absorbing MORE office space than these much LARGER markets year to date

Atlanta, Chicago, Denver,  Houston,  Orange County,  Philadelphia, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, and Washington DC  

Peer city Nashville absorbed half of the space but it is a smaller office market.

Why is this good news? Hefty absorption like this drives demand for more buildings which we all like. 

http://www.us.jll.com/united-states/en-us/research/property/office   

2 biggest office markets that absorbed the most Seattle and Dallas. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

Hygiene and cleaning solutions company Diversey is locating its corporate headquarters in York County, a move projected to bring $6.1 million in investment and create almost 400 jobs.

Located at the Lakemont Business Park, Diversey’s 100,000-square-foot headquarters is slated to open in the first quarter of 2018. The building will feature 18,500 square feet of lab space to develop cutting-edge technology.

• Like 1

^^^ Here is the article referenced above. I would take several of these every year over an Amazon and they are easier to win.   I would think this would come to Charlotte with our financial hub with TIAA, Dimensional Funds etc not to mention Barings, Bof A, Wells, US Bank etc.  

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/10/12/alliancebernstein-plans-to-shift-new-york-staff-wsj.html

While SA TX is somewhat of a financial hub it is no where near as diversified or as large as Charlotte.  Mainly back office jobs for larger banks and of course HQ for USAA

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Charlotte ranked #26 and Raleigh #10 on the most livable cities in the USA to live in according to USA Today. Many of these "cities" are suburbs of larger cities so all in all for a large city Charlotte to be on here is pretty good. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2017/10/13/most-liveable-americas-50-best-cities-live/761013001/

• Like 3

Charlotte and Seattle share another trait. We are among the top 5 office markets in performance this  year (based on percentage of office space absorbed vs size of market) according to JLL.  We absorbed 2.3% of our office space vs. .5% national average.  In raw numbers only 6  markets absorbed more office space year to date than Charlotte.  We are doing better than these markets oh little places like Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Orange County, Salt Lake, San Diego, San Fran, and Washington DC      Why is this good news? More office leasing equals more office buildings and probably more uptown and Southend.  

Download your own report from here 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte and Seattle share another trait. We are among the top 5 office markets in performance this  year (based on percentage of office space absorbed vs size of market) according to JLL.  We absorbed 2.3% of our office space vs. .5% national average.  In raw numbers only 6  markets absorbed more office space year to date than Charlotte.  We are doing better than these markets oh little places like Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Orange County, Salt Lake, San Diego, San Fran, and Washington DC      Why is this good news? More office leasing equals more office buildings and probably more uptown and Southend.  

Download your own report from here 

The 30,200 jobs ADDED is such an incredibly high number. I can't believe it, but thats great!  

• Like 1

More good news on the leasing report here is the 3Q Lincoln Harris report downloadable here http://lincolnharris.com/Research/Charlotte.html  1 thing to note is Charter/Spectrum's 143,000 sq ft lease at 9300 Arrowpoint where Maresk has their offices. They own the building and have shrunk what they have used there and offer this space to lease. However does anyone know if this means new jobs for Charlotte?  I know they have given up some space in Ballantyne but they didnt have that much over there.  If anyone knows anything please share.   

• Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 9:07 PM, KJHburg said:

More good news on the leasing report here is the 3Q Lincoln Harris report downloadable here http://lincolnharris.com/Research/Charlotte.html  1 thing to note is Charter/Spectrum's 143,000 sq ft lease at 9300 Arrowpoint where Maresk has their offices. They own the building and have shrunk what they have used there and offer this space to lease. However does anyone know if this means new jobs for Charlotte?  I know they have given up some space in Ballantyne but they didnt have that much over there.  If anyone knows anything please share.   

I don't think it's new jobs, from what I've heard they're consolidating some groups under one roof there, and some of the people that have moved there are indeed from the Ballantyne office.

• Like 1