The Good News Report

atlrvr

As we have Areva spun off nuclear division moving out to VA, this piece that Biz Journal just posted on Barings is a nice counter...

He says two-thirds of the company's assets come from clients outside the U.S., so it is common for Barings to bring those clients to visit Charlotte. According to Finke, that role allows them to bring investors into the area and show them the opportunities Charlotte has to offer.

"We're able to give them a taste of Charlotte, and I think this building enhances our ability to do that," Finke says. "You're representing where you're from. We're from Charlotte."

Paywalled :(https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/04/04/how-investment-firm-barings-builds-momentum-in.html

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is GREAT for Charlotte.

Agree wholeheartedly! I got a tour of their office space a couple weeks back. The board room on top floor is definitely impressive and the "Sky Room" was equipped with AV equipment that I did not think Barings would need...

• Like 1

Charlotte office market starts off strong in the 1st quarter of 2018 according to JLL.  The office market absorbed 306,000 sq ft and vacancy stands at 11.7%.  Over 3 million sq ft in the pipeline with the largest chunk uptown of course with Legacy and new Ally Center Tryon Place. 

download your own copy here

http://www.jll.com/charlotte/en-us/Pages/RemoteResearch.aspx?URL=http://www.jll.com/united-states/en-us/research/9035/us-charlotte-office-insight-q1-2018-jll

• Like 4

Speaking of office space in the JLL Office Market 1Q 2018 report for Charlotte and our other peer cities, I found that Charlotte's office market is performing better than them all.
Market Size                                                    Absorption  % Absorption   Vacancy Avg Asking             under Construction sq ft.
Raleigh/Durham Totals 48,150,905  153,505        0.3%              10.2%  $24.61                               2,636,251   
Nashville Totals 36,281,816  -77,463                     -0.2%             9.6%  $27.27                               1,954,709
Atlanta Totals 146,936,743  357,357                    0.2%               16.9%  $26.28                               1,883,441
Charlotte Totals 51,191,720 306,811                 0.6%            11.7%  $26.89                                3,032,016
We have more construction than Atlanta  a market 3x our size and percentage of office space absorbed we doing twice as better as the next closest competitor Raleigh Durham.  More office space absorbed means more new buildings. 

And yet we are about to lose a big fish to Nashville, don’t get it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe Alliance Bernstein does not want to be in a competitive job market like Charlotte with lots of other financial people someone on UP mentioned earlier they may not pay as well.   Nashville is just now voting on a transit system which is years and years off from being opened.  I like Nashville but Charlotte's airport, transportation, employment pool etc is far superior.  So who knows we have so many big companies that have announced job expansions and we don't even know where they are going yet in town.  Like Allstate and its 2250 jobs and EY 375 jobs, and even AXA the parent of Alliance Bernstein and their 550 job expansion.  And we are not done yet believe me! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Maybe Alliance Bernstein does not want to be in a competitive job market like Charlotte with lots of other financial people someone on UP mentioned earlier they may not pay as well.   Nashville is just now voting on a transit system which is years and years off from being opened.  I like Nashville but Charlotte's airport, transportation, employment pool etc is far superior.  So who knows we have so many big companies that have announced job expansions and we don't even know where they are going yet in town.  Like Allstate and its 2250 jobs and EY 375 jobs, and even AXA the parent of Alliance Bernstein and their 550 job expansion.  And we are not done yet believe me! 

So how long until a housing market slowdown? :ph34r:

^^^ Housing?  There is severe shortage of homes under $250,000 in the Charlotte region.  I don't see that changing anytime soon as long as job growth is there.  As for homes over $500,000 that market in my opinion is frothy.   Prices can not go up faster than wages or something ultimately gives.  This region is not building enough for sale housing (single family or townhomes)  in the price ranges where the majority of people are buying homes in for a variety of reasons.  I will say this any slowdown in the housing market will NOT be like the housing depression and that is what it was during 2008-2010.   

My point was we have a lot of job growth in the pipeline already with Allstate, AXA, EY, Lendingtree, AvidXchange and under the radar Wells and BofA. 

• Like 4

Yeah to piggyback with personal experience, my wife and I sold our home (in the $200-250K range) and had 4 above asking offers the first day on the market. We closed a few weeks back. My realtor had no less than 4 conversations from out of state buyer agents. One was from Illinois. It's a hot market. 

• Like 1

^^ Housing at some point will slow down but like I said in the price ranges where the majority of people are in we are not building enough homes which will sustain that market for a long time.  There is always a need for entry level which now in this town for new homes is upper 100s around 200k.  Housing starts in Charlotte right now are way BELOW record levels from 2006-2007

Housing recap from MetroStudy http://www.metrostudy.com/charlotte-housing-4q17-home-builders-continue-struggle-keep-demand-lower-price-points/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Sure it's strong; Will things overheat? The new tax bill seems it may catalyze such a thing, if nothing else.

More to the point: has anyone ever seen a boom like this one now (in Charlotte, or any other booming city)? Or is it my youth that leads me to think it is inevitable to drop off?

20001-2008 but instead of Apartments, it was condos.  Equally as impressive. 

I consider this phase to have started slightly before Element with SouthEnd's boom. Knights Stadium. Then Element.  Then Embassy Suites. Then Skyhouse. Then a lot of stuff.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Sure it's strong; Will things overheat? The new tax bill seems it may catalyze such a thing, if nothing else.

More to the point: has anyone ever seen a boom like this one now (in Charlotte, or any other booming city)? Or is it my youth that leads me to think it is inevitable to drop off?

I left San Diego for a few reasons in 2004 but a big factor was that I was positive that the housing market was a huge bubble.  It was and my timing was good (I actually could have made a bit more if I had waited but better too soon than too late).  The market crashed there and virtually everywhere obviously (though much less so here comparatively because it never got too crazy before the crash).  Now, though, housing costs even more than pre-crash in SD.  Good article today in WSJ on Boise (housing is waaay up).  Banks are not doing as much direct sub-prime lending but they are instead lending to the companies doing that lending (seems like the outcome could be similar).  Credit card debt is increasing, as are delinquencies.  People are again taking tons of money from their rapidly increasing houses in home equity loans.  I don't think the crash will be as bad as before but you can be sure a crash will occur as soon as you hear people say that a crash won't happen.  Months before Lehman cratered I had a colleague telling me you couldn't lose money in FL real estate (she lost plenty though if she had held it she'd have done ok).  I believe Charlotte is still better off than most because so many are moving here and that is creating demand (though many places decimated in the last crash-Phoenix, LV, South FL, Inland Empire-were similar).  Additionally, housing costs as a percentage of income are still reasonable here (but much less so than in 2007-2008 surprisingly).  Look at housing costs as a percentage of income in SoCal.  Crazy.  Long term, they will be okay because it's such an incredibly attractive place to live for a lot of people.  Short-term, I suspect we are within five years of another significant correction (but again, not like the last one).  At this time, I am not hearing of highly leveraged individuals buying multiple properties to flip.  Huge amounts of housing stock was purchased by VC/PE.  That will also moderate the impact (and keep demand higher also).  Increased government regulation of financial institutions will also moderate.     

• Like 3

19 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

20001-2008 but instead of Apartments, it was condos.  Equally as impressive. 

I consider this phase to have started slightly before Element with SouthEnd's boom. Knights Stadium. Then Element.  Then Embassy Suites. Then Skyhouse. Then a lot of stuff.

Exactly. This time is very different imho.  

My two cents: Massive numbers of pricey apartments, very few places to actually buy. Go on Zillow and look for 3+ bedrooms for sale uptown (28202). From personal experience, if you’re looking for a 3/4 bedroom condo in uptown  or very close-in, you have single digits to choose from, and those are often far, far above $1mm. I’ve been here since 2002, but if I was looking to move here now, with a family, and live uptown? Very difficult. Before the crash, there were more choices. Still expensive, but they were there - Vue, Element, and a few others. Now, there are a few small complexes that are very expensive. If I wanted to move here and take a job in Charlotte, live downtown, and bring my family, it would be tough. 

• Like 1