The Good News Report

atlrvr

From CBRE 1st Quarter Office Market report which is basically in line with JLL (their numbers are different slightly) but they mention this.

""Economic developers at the Charlotte Chamber report that they are busier than ever. They have been working with several large users looking to relocate to Charlotte and confirm observations regarding the attractiveness of creative office and the resurgence of the Class B market""

Like the word several 

download your own copy here https://www.cbre.us/research-and-reports/Charlotte-Office-MarketView-Q1-2018

• Like 4

Well any hints on these "several" big prospects if AllianceBernstein is going to Nashvegas?   Somebody and something must be afoot as Lincoln Harris is not leased any single floor tenants to their north tower of Capitol Towers.  I think they are holding it out for whole building tenant.   The south tower became a multitenant building but something tells me LH is holding this tower for a full building or most of building tenant.  @Missmylab4 any comments on that? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte ranked in the top 10 best places to start a business in 2018 according to WalletHub https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-to-start-a-business/2281/#main-findings#new_tab

See this is interesting. Great place to start a business [as long as it is not a small brick-and-mortar store/shop, because we don't have enough small storefronts in old urban districts]. So this is geared toward startups? Etc?

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 4:27 PM, atlrvr said:

Supposedly WeWork is adding a second Uptown location at First Citizens Plaza.

:ph34r:

I can confirm this and on a floor with a balcony so I think that might be high up like under the  Passport offices 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

NC has 2nd record tourist year in a row.  2017 was a record on top the record 2016 year.  and guess who is #1  in the state?  Charlotte Mecklenburg.    https://edpnc.com/north-carolina-tourism-supports-record-employment-visitor-spending-2017/

Tourism.... bankers. Glad to see BofA and Wells pumping folks to Charlotte. (I have to assume our tourism is mostly convention center and business related)

Just now, AirNostrumMAD said:

Tourism.... bankers. Glad to see BofA and Wells pumping folks to Charlotte. (I have to assume our tourism is mostly convention center and business related)

It is but we do get some tourists and they are coming en masse this month for the 2 major races, the Allstar and the 600.  Plus the Panthers and sometimes Hornets attract overnight guests as do our many concerts.   Charlotte in my opinion and I travel a whole LOT is a great weekend or 2-3 night destination.  Plenty to do here.  But yes most of ours is business travel and then secondly conventions and meetings.  My friends from eastern NC were here for a meeting stayed 3 nights at the University Place Hilton.  They ate out a lot and shopped and shopped. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

It is but we do get some tourists and they are coming en masse this month for the 2 major races, the Allstar and the 600.  Plus the Panthers and sometimes Hornets attract overnight guests as do our many concerts.   Charlotte in my opinion and I travel a whole LOT is a great weekend or 2-3 night destination.  Plenty to do here.  But yes most of ours is business travel and then secondly conventions and meetings.  My friends from eastern NC were here for a meeting stayed 3 nights at the University Place Hilton.  They ate out a lot and shopped and shopped. 

NASCAR is dying for 1. Speedway isn't in Meck. for 2

• Like 1

^^^Nascar Hall of Fame is and plenty of visitors stay in the university area.  Come up to University area on April 19 Allstar race or the 600 on Sunday May 27.  It is still attracts more fans than a Panthers home game.  Plus a couple of the NASCAR teams are in Mecklenburg like Joe Gibbs in Huntersville. 

and yes I forget to mention Speed Street which attracts 1000s to uptown Charlotte and they are heading  to restaurants and bars for sure. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Charlotte is definitely gaining regional tourism. With Carowinds, NASCAR HOF, Area Lakes, Conventions, Concerts, Great Wolf Lodge, Southpark, Concord Mills, Etc. All help that. Are we Orlando by any means? No. But, We are a good 2-3 day weekend trip. 

• Like 2

^^^^I am not much of a race fan, but Speed Street is Uptown.  Seems like a pretty decent tourism dollar generator to me, even if I mostly avoid it.  NASCAR isn't as popular as it used to be, but unless they start having issues covering debt obligations it won't go anywhere.  Sounds like the Frances might sell anyway, which could bring a cash infusion and some new ideas.

http://600festival.com/speed-street-about/

Back to other Good News, does anyone have any ideas what other recruitment Charlotte might be involved in?  I have seen several comments that Charlotte might have some big things in the pipeline even though AllianceBernstein didn't pan out, but I haven't heard what specifically could be in pipeline.

Edited by J-Rob
spelling
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Back to other Good News, does anyone have any ideas what other recruitment Charlotte might be involved in?  I have seen several comments that Charlotte might have some big things in the pipeline even though AllianceBernstein didn't pan out, but I haven't hear what specifically could be in pipeline.

Not heard any names  yet but despite Amazon nationwide circus most companies are very stealth in their search.  Does anyone remember hearing about Allstate's 2250 job announcement before they did it?  I don't remember anyone talking about it and that was Charlotte's single biggest announcement in decades.   That is more typical of most new project searches.  I worked for econ development agency many years ago and things were always top secret. People checking into hotels under assumed names, coming for visits and using only first names and no company names etc.

Charlotte and NC are very attractive due to our corporate tax rates, low cost of living, labor force that keeps growing, real estate costs, airport, transportation etc.   We will get our fair share for sure.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is a story from Dayton Business Journal about Evenflo 

https://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2018/05/08/evenflo-to-move-hqout-of-dayton-region.html

Given Boston's high cost of housing wonder how many will choose Beantown over Charlotte?  Don't they own Britax a Ft Mill based baby car seat maker?  

Nope Britax is owned by Nordic Capital, Evenflo falls under the GoodBaby International umbrella. 

• Like 1