The Good News Report

atlrvr

5 Cool cities for Millennials to live and yes the QC makes the list.   Come on down we have plenty of new apartments and interesting neighborhoods.  

http://upscalemagazine.com/five-cool-cities-millennials-live-2018/?sf190519733=1

Maybe we won't have a 6 level bar like Nashville is getting with Luke Bryan downtown but hey were on the list in the top 5. 

• Like 2

5 Cool cities for Millennials to live and yes the QC makes the list.   Come on down we have plenty of new apartments and interesting neighborhoods.  
http://upscalemagazine.com/five-cool-cities-millennials-live-2018/?sf190519733=1
Maybe we won't have a 6 level bar like Nashville is getting with Luke Bryan downtown but hey were on the list in the top 5. 

Randomness crap I’ve ever read. The restaurants, and Dana Rader!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BankRate says NC is the 6th best place to retire way ahead of SC and I have said this for years for many reasons.  Property taxes are about the only thing less expensive in SC.  Insurance is higher across the board and the utility costs seem much higher especially along the coastal counties. 

https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/best-and-worst-states-for-retirement/

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

BankRate says NC is the 6th best place to retire way ahead of SC and I have said this for years for many reasons.  Property taxes are about the only thing less expensive in SC.  Insurance is higher across the board and the utility costs seem much higher especially along the coastal counties. 

https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/best-and-worst-states-for-retirement/

That NC is ranked 40th in "Culture" seems suspect especially since Montana is ranked 7th. 

• Haha 3

^^^  I honestly think NC should be ranked higher in best places to retire.  Health care is great here in most parts of the state, property taxes are low relative to the country  and the income tax rates are lowest for the states that charge income taxes.   Insurance rates are lower here than many states.  

• Like 2

Those rankings are stupid. If they shared their algorithms, which appear to be a version of the game pin the tail on the donkey, they might be worthwhile. I do like how they aggregate the tax info by state though.

Btw, as an aside, if you get out of the South, many states treat their elderly much better than nc. I would think you would want to retire somewhere with services, breaks on taxes according to income and Medicaid that's not a joke. I do my mom's taxes and she pays much more here than she had elsewhere. In CO or VT where I also did her taxes she paid less. So, if you're someone getting to 80 and above, who's earnings have been eaten up by inflation over the years, nc just is not great. Just a personal factual observation. Not going to argue about it - to each his own.

Mr. contrarian here. ;-)

I've always figured very low business taxes should correlate well with states that have regressive income taxes, extremely low income thresholds for the poor to get medicaid, and low education standards among other things. Contrast that with average income, taxes overall etc... NC seems a good case in point at this time but getting all this data together is a daunting task. There are so many conflicting sources for these numbers plus age of data doesn't match up. I know the argument about this growing business and thus tax base and Charlotte must be pulling it in but has the money that stays in Charlotte grown proportionally? Have to go google'n for some impartial academic studies.

10 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Dear lord if this means I'm able to get kk at four in the morning I'm gonna be ecstatic and definitely fatter.

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Considering Los Angeles County has about the same population as the entire state of North Carolina, it is pretty crazy we have more office under construction that some cities (like LA), that are much much bigger than us.

I would qualify that cranes only indicate a certain type of construction. LA is packed with midrise infill work that may not require fixed tower cranes

Los Angeles county has 2.698 million sq ft of office space under construction Charlotte has 3.292 million sq ft and while LA is a huge office market 193 million sq ft to Charlotte's 51 million it is not really growing.  LA and all of California is very expensive to build and job growth there is very concentrated in the Bay area.  LA county had job growth of 1.4% vs Charlotte's 2.7%.   

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I would qualify that cranes only indicate a certain type of construction. LA is packed with midrise infill work that may not require fixed tower cranes

Yes, there is lots of midrise work in LA, though I'd say it skews residential more than office. Lots of nice office remodels going on though in LA for boutique firms. DTLA has some beautiful skyscrapers planned or under construction too, they just are mainly residential or hotel instead of office.

Nonetheless, Charlotte is punching above its population weight on office construction.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

And the industrial market can only be described as EN FUEGO 

Key note from the Cushman industrial warehouse report"  ""Year-over-year the Charlotte industrial market has absorbed an astounding 3.6 million square feet (msf) bringing the vacancy rate down to 5.1%. A large percentage of the space absorbed has occurred along the I-77 corridor, in submarkets such as Cabarrus County and Southwest Charlotte submarkets.""

And though it mentions the new 1 Million sq ft Kannapolis warehouse it does not even mention the new 2 million sq ft Amazon warehouse on the airport property just approved a few weeks ago that is under construction now.     Warehouses are not as sexy but they are popping up in all directions in the metro near the airport, SW Charlotte, Cabarrus County etc.   TrakMotive they mention in the report with a 100,000 sq ft is a California based axle distributor.  Charlotte does move the goods  like avocados, contact lenses, German made toy soldiers, Bic pens and razors etc.   All these new warehouses are employers big and small and many are new to the market.  

Download your report copy here http://www.cushmanwakefield.com/en/research-and-insight/unitedstates/charlotte-industrial-snapshot/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The breakaway group of doctors from Atrium, Tryon Medical Partners, are taking one of the floors in Charlotte Plaza, previously part of the Charlotte School of Law.  I believe it will be the first new tenant since the schools closure. They are taking floor 12.  

Edited by stw52
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, stw52 said:

The breakaway group of doctors from Atrium, Tryon Medical Partners, are taking one of the floors in Charlotte Plaza, previously part of the Charlotte School of Law.  I believe it will be the first new tenant since the schools closure. They are taking floor 12.  

How many floors did the law school have?

5 minutes ago, saamh said:

How many floors did the law school have?

They had 240,000 sq ft so I think it was 8-9 floors so that is good one of those floors is leased.  that is one of the biggest blocks of available space in uptown available right now along with 300 South Brevard tower. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1