The Good News Report

atlrvr

Oh yeah here is the official Amazon warehouse announcement.  This is the BIGGEST warehouse in the Charlotte region at 2.5 million sq ft and actually by floor area probably the largest structure by square footage in Charlotte Mecklenburg.  Wells Fargo CIC on Harris Blvd is 2 million sq ft.  Truly huge and I heard it 90 feet tall most warehouses are 30-36 feet max. 

https://charlottechamber.com/news/2018/08/01/economic-development-news/amazon-distribution-center-finalized-copy/

• Like 3

Silicon Valley based medical device maker opening small manufacturing plant here in Charlotte $1 million investment mainly using 3-D printing.  Adding 6 jobs to the current 16 here in Charlotte.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/08/03/medical-device-company-investing-1m-in-charlotte.html?ana=e_me_set1&s=newsletter&ed=2018-08-03&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1533303082&j=83069901         I can see this getting bigger and bigger and with our affordable cost of doing business vis a vi Silicon Valley this could be huge. 

• Like 2

Question: Charlotte Observer (Ely Portillo) just ran article about Charlotte's Growth\Development and happened to mention around 14 Highrise's planned (In the CBD) between Now and 2020.  Any of you "UPer's in the know" care to take a stab at the Highrises he's speaking of or intimating at?  

Approved/ Under construction

1. Legacy Union 33-story 632' 
2. FNB Tower at Graham St 31-story 390'
3. Market 42 Apts at 9th/Coll 33-story 384'
4. Ally Center at Tryon Place 27-story 378'
5 Hotel Intercontinental 32-story 372'
6. Hotel at Tyron Place 22-story 280'
7. 550 Stonewall Apts 20-story 250'
8. Stonewall Station Apts 21-story 230'
9. Moxy Hotel on Brevard 19-story 226' 
10. Grand Bohemian Hotel 15-story 183' 
11. Federal Courthouse Annex 165' 
12. 20-story tower 3rd/Baldwin  299'
13. Spectrum 17-floor at 1100 S Tryon 200'

Add in phase 2 tower at Legacy Union and possible new Duke Tower and that's about all I have though I'm sure there's more. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jednc said:

That's a shame to have 4 towers that will fall just short of the 400' mark. I mean, it's almost like these companies don't care about Charlotte's number of skyscrapers over 400'.

Ten Tryon to the spire 200' 

4 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Approved/ Under construction

1. Legacy Union 33-story 632' 
2. FNB Tower at Graham St 31-story 390'
3. Market 42 Apts at 9th/Coll 33-story 384'
4. Ally Center at Tryon Place 27-story 378'
5 Hotel Intercontinental 32-story 372'
6. Hotel at Tyron Place 22-story 280'
7. 550 Stonewall Apts 20-story 250'
8. Stonewall Station Apts 21-story 230'
9. Moxy Hotel on Brevard 19-story 226' 
10. Grand Bohemian Hotel 15-story 183' 
11. Federal Courthouse Annex 165' 
12. 20-story tower 3rd/Baldwin  299'
13. Spectrum 17-floor at 1100 S Tryon 200'

Add in phase 2 tower at Legacy Union and possible new Duke Tower and that's about all I have though I'm sure there's more. 

MOAR!!!!

I'm like a junkie just coming around here waiting for the next big announcement. I don't know what I'm going to do once development slows. I gotta get my fix, man.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Have to put this in good news as the city finally decides on a developer and this one actually makes some sense (unlike previous movie studio attempt)  Crosland with the FC Barcelona soccer experience!  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/08/27/city-backs-crosland-southeast-led-bid-for-eastland.html

The movie studio made sense, it just wasn't done well and things have fallen apart since. At the time, North Carolina had great film incentives and was doing pretty well accumulating a decent portfolio (Nell, Juwana Man, Shallow Hal, Last of the Mohicans, Dawson's Creek, The Color Purple, Homeland, Banshee, etc). 

Having an actual studio where intricate sets could be built, difficult scenes could be shot, television shows could have audiences, and professionals could gather, work, and share ideas would have helped move us closer to Atlanta's film industry - which is doing quite well. 

There were plenty of people here ready & willing to get to work. The film classes at schools around the city were always full, alumni (some with impressive achievements) were eager to come home and start something special, a few networks were sniffing around, and there were some relatively well-established media professionals around town or otherwise connected watching carefully & meeting.  Lots of people were vested in film here the way we're vested in cranes and TOD. Most people wouldn't want to join in on the conversation, but they're excited to see the end results. 

To this day, "Film = Jobs" stickers can still be seen on cars, but a few of the pros threw up their hands and left. I think it would have been something unique for Charlotte; that "Look at me!" and character/creativity we're always striving for, but between the planning fiasco here & the bumbling mess in Raleigh, we're way behind where we were at the start of the Eastland process.  I mean, just think of how much better our Amazon bid video would have been if real film people had a hand in it...actually don't think about that video. That was a total embarrassment. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

The movie studio made sense, it just wasn't done well and things have fallen apart since. At the time, North Carolina had great film incentives and was doing pretty well accumulating a decent portfolio (Nell, Juwana Man, Shallow Hal, Last of the Mohicans, Dawson's Creek, The Color Purple, Homeland, Banshee, etc). 

Having an actual studio where intricate sets could be built, difficult scenes could be shot, television shows could have audiences, and professionals could gather, work, and share ideas would have helped move us closer to Atlanta's film industry - which is doing quite well. 

There were plenty of people here ready & willing to get to work. The film classes at schools around the city were always full, alumni (some with impressive achievements) were eager to come home and start something special, a few networks were sniffing around, and there were some relatively well-established media professionals around town or otherwise connected watching carefully & meeting.  Lots of people were vested in film here the way we're vested in cranes and TOD. Most people wouldn't want to join in on the conversation, but they're excited to see the end results. 

To this day, "Film = Jobs" stickers can still be seen on cars, but a few of the pros threw up their hands and left. I think it would have been something unique for Charlotte; that "Look at me!" and character/creativity we're always striving for, but between the planning fiasco here & the bumbling mess in Raleigh, we're way behind where we were at the start of the Eastland process.  I mean, just think of how much better our Amazon bid video would have been if real film people had a hand in it...actually don't think about that video. That was a total embarrassment. 

But imagine this, the FC Barcelona camp pans out and we start making soccer talent out the wazoo. Imagine having the next Pelè, Ronaldo, or Messi coming out of Charlotte or the Carolinas. That looks good and brings in many people. Also sports players love to give back to their communities and hometowns, have you evrr talked to someone from WS, cant go 3 sentences without them mentioning Chris Paul and how he is from there and does things there. Also a new hub in the city isnt a bad thing no matter what. Also soccer is the worlds sport and may bring moee international attention to CLT if we create talented players regularly.

• Like 2

Bert Hesse and his studio plan was basically to have it  built all with city money with limited private investment that was the problem.  Georgia at the time had already increased their incentives and  his plan was not good for the taxpayers.      This Eastland plan seems much more reasonable.  I still think it has a lot of office space 500,000 sq ft and I would hope there could be some flexibility in any plan approved for more housing.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Trickbot said:

But imagine this, the FC Barcelona camp pans out and we start making soccer talent out the wazoo. Imagine having the next Pelè, Ronaldo, or Messi coming out of Charlotte or the Carolinas. That looks good and brings in many people. Also sports players love to give back to their communities and hometowns, have you evrr talked to someone from WS, cant go 3 sentences without them mentioning Chris Paul and how he is from there and does things there. Also a new hub in the city isnt a bad thing no matter what. Also soccer is the worlds sport and may bring moee international attention to CLT if we create talented players regularly.

I'm not saying that's a bad idea. I actually have a soccer article to share that I just haven't gotten around to posting yet. Just explaining what went on with the film stuff. We have room for more than one  really great thing here, though. 

• Like 1