The Good News Report

atlrvr

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The Best Cities for Business and Careers from Forbes ranks these NC cities in the top 25!

#2 Raleigh  #5 Charlotte #13 Durham  #15 Asheville 

Atlanta #11 Nashville #17     They looked at 200 metro areas across USA

https://www.forbes.com/best-places-for-business/list/#tab:overall

the worst?  Atlantic City NJ 

EL OH EL. Asheville

9 hours ago, SoDoSoPa said:

Seriously, not sure how Asheville made the list unless it was hospitality careers only.

they have an expanding GE Aviation plant which makes jet engines,  a hugely fast growing company the maker of Theraworx   https://avadimhealth.com/  which is adding the most new jobs of any manufacturer in western NC, ever expanding Mission Healthcare system and yes the tourism business is booming as is beer production!  Plus an unemployment rate in  Buncombe county of only 3.1% one of the lowest in the state.   Home to grocers Ingles and EarthFare both which are growing. 

Asheville is my favorite overnight or day trip from CLT. 

• Like 4

Both Charlotte and Raleigh are on the top list of Millennial boom towns  Charlotte #12, Raleigh #6, Nashville #4, Austin #3 etc based on growth, labor force growth etc.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/11/07/raleigh-charlotte-among-top-15-millennial.html?ana=e_me_set1&s=newsletter&ed=2018-11-07&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1541600303&j=84879101

• Like 2

I don't want to take away from this being objectively good news but that's dangerously low. It means that if someone leaves a position, it will be very difficult to fill quickly causing serious headaches for local businesses who can't just shift someone into that position from another within the company.

Hopefully it doesn't continue falling because these numbers haven't been sustained like this in decades so there is no way to know how exactly it will affect our current economic situation. It could be absolutely irrelevant but for a long time, economists have thought having a natural rate of unemployment of 4-5% was indicative of or even necessary for a healthy economy.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I don't want to take away from this being objectively good news but that's dangerously low. It means that if someone leaves a position, it will be very difficult to fill quickly causing serious headaches for local businesses who can't just shift someone into that position from another within the company.

Hopefully it doesn't continue falling because these numbers haven't been sustained like this in decades so there is no way to know how exactly it will affect our current economic situation. It could be absolutely irrelevant but for a long time, economists have thought having a natural rate of unemployment of 4-5% was indicative of or even necessary for a healthy economy.

Wages have been sticky for a while, it seems like they've been rising as of late and I hope that continues. Whenever I see an article with employers complaining they "can't find good workers" I mentally add "...at the wages we're currently paying." That isn't always fair--sometimes there may indeed be legitimate labor market issues--but I've seen enough examples in my own career of employers trying to fill jobs at low prices that I know it's an issue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vitamin_N said:

Wages have been sticky for a while, it seems like they've been rising as of late and I hope that continues. Whenever I see an article with employers complaining they "can't find good workers" I mentally add "...at the wages we're currently paying." That isn't always fair--sometimes there may indeed be legitimate labor market issues--but I've seen enough examples in my own career of employers trying to fill jobs at low prices that I know it's an issue.

In architecture we're dealing with a "2008 to 2012" gap. For several years, graduates were coming out of school into a dead job market and jumped ship. Now there's a major shortage of people with 5-10 years of experience.

• Like 4

another Charlotte marketing company expanding in SouthEnd from the Business Journal today

""A Charlotte-based company with a growing portfolio of consumer product brands is growing its space by six times with a move to lower South End. Elements Brands, which has been Queen City-based since 2015, is moving from its 8,500-square-foot space at 201 Rampart St., near Sycamore Brewing, to a 51,000-square-foot flex building at 4444 South Blvd. The move was prompted primarily because Elements is "busting at the seams" in its South End office, said CEO Bill D'Alessandro, who founded Elements Brands in Boulder, Colorado, in 2010.""

Subscriber article:   https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/11/15/ceo-new-larger-location-in-lower-south-end-to-open.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-11-15&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1542322018&j=85051171

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

In other good news of the week, Elior North America the French owned food service management company has increased its space 46% in the 300 South Tryon bldg to 19,000 sq and now employs 170 at the HQ.  

""TrustHouse sold to France-based Elior Group SA in 2013.  Elior North America spun out from that parent group.   It now has approximately 20,000 employees in the U.S., with sales of $1.3 billion last year. Roughly 170 people are employed at the Charlotte headquarters — ahead of initial hiring projections of 100.""

Subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/11/28/photos-elior-north-america-ceo-talks-charlotte.html

They run of course La Belle Helene and Parliament Coffee in the building as well. 

and more from the CEO 

""It’s highly likely we would do another Parliament concept with another building in Charlotte. I think there’s a high likelihood we would potentially do another restaurant — probably not a La Belle Helene — but we would probably do another partnership with a large financial or business institution in Charlotte to create a new concept unique to them, much like we did for 300 Tryon with Barings. It’s got to be the right partnership for us. ""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2