The Good News Report

atlrvr

Charlotte based Sonic Automotive is going to add 500 jobs to Gaston County for a customer support center. The jobs will pay on average $53,219,  above the Gaston County average wage of $38,780. The office will also contain a marketing hub for Sonic Automotive dealerships. 

For Gaston County, this means more jobs outside of retail and manufacturing so people don't have to commute all the way to Charlotte. 

https://www.gastongazette.com/news/20181213/sonic-automotive-bringing-500-jobs-to-gaston-county

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think some of them are online sales jobs like the Red Ventures jobs. 

Yeah, I think they are centralizing all the online sales people in Gaston County rather than having them at each dealership. So those "chat" people that pop up when you are on Town and Country Toyota's website will be in Gaston County and help close the sale / do warm hands off to the dealership. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think some of them are online sales jobs like the Red Ventures jobs. 

Just recently, a young women inquired on FB about a job at Red Ventures. There were 26 responses. Every one of them, EVERY ONE was essentially: “Are you out of your mind ?”

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Dale said:

Just recently, a young women inquired on FB about a job at Red Ventures. There were 26 responses. Every one of them, EVERY ONE was essentially: “Are you out of your mind ?”

really just depends on the job. Being on the sales team sucks IMO, but the corporate positions can be good.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/16/business/economy/nashville-birmingham-amazon.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

The media's love affair with Nashville and Austin continues...but Charlotte (no NC) gets a nod at the end of the article.  Also, why the NCGA's gift to surrounding states of our once-robust TV and film industry is paying off...for them, not us.  

Edited by MACyr
  • Like 2

Meh, Charlotte was getting those articles not too long ago.  Heck it still is.  Not gonna hate on others success; just learn from the formula and keep pressing forward.  I think the QC is a rung above as far as economic power but should not get complacent.  Its time to stop asling why not us but who can the city catch next.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NcSc74 said:

Meh, Charlotte was getting those articles not too long ago.  Heck it still is.  Not gonna hate on others success; just learn from the formula and keep pressing forward.  I think the QC is a rung above as far as economic power but should not get complacent.  Its time to stop asling why not us but who can the city catch next.  

Yes exactly. Allied Bernstein is still getting hype like this article, but Honeywell will be 7x the number of jobs and suppliers. The fact that Charlotte is quoted in the end of the article by Birmingham's mayor shows that its a "name brand" and metropolitan economic benchmark and stalwart now. Nashville is reaching the national spotlight now. We reached the spotlight already. Nashville has been and will be a more media friendly brand, with its entertainment cache, and we will be a more financial brand. Different types of markets. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, NcSc74 said:

Yeah but each major loss should lead to some introspection. I wonder sometimes if the largest city in the state shouldn't be more forceful pointing out how the nuts in Raleigh are not us and things will be a changin'. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Yeah but each major loss should lead to some introspection. I wonder sometimes if the largest city in the state shouldn't be more forceful pointing out how the nuts in Raleigh are not us and things will be a changin'. 

The idea that Charlotte is somehow unique in this battle is laughable. To an extent it seems to be a self fulfilling doom. Its not like TN, GA, PA, FL, OH, TX outside their major cities are not extremely similar politically to NC outside of Charlotte and Raleigh. We had huge negative publicity on the bathroom bill, while Texas was passing their own with no national media spotlight. Perhaps its a false impression, but I think our local media began the blowup over the bill, while media in Texas cities were much more muted, and it caused much less long term damage.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

The idea that Charlotte is somehow unique in this battle is laughable. To an extent it seems to be a self fulfilling doom. Its not like TN, GA, PA, FL, OH, TX outside their major cities are not extremely similar politically to NC outside of Charlotte and Raleigh. We had huge negative publicity on the bathroom bill, while Texas was passing their own with no national media spotlight. Perhaps its a false impression, but I think our local media began the blowup over the bill, while media in Texas cities were much more muted, and it caused much less long term damage.

In the end, no long-term damage versus close to nil long-term damage, meaning that after the fake repeal of HB2, just about every foot-stomping boycotter came back with the requisite amount of grumbling.