The Good News Report

atlrvr

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is truly lasting good news from the All Star weekend among other things that happened and exposure 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/allstarsneakers25998675/stephen-curry-armour-giving-back-all-star-weekend.

This is so great. I drive, walk, or bike by the Carole Hoefner Center nearly every day and I've never thought twice about it.

I may check out their pick up game situation from now on!

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

On 2/22/2019 at 9:04 AM, KJHburg said:

The numbers are in for All Star Weekend and uptown hotels averaged 95% occupancy only 29 points better than last year same weekend. Average daily rate uptown hotels was $320 a night. Mecklenburg County hotel stats showed 84% occupancy during the weekend.  Major win for Charlotte, our tourism business and exposure.  the NBA's biggest international market CHINA.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article226572874.html?itx[idio]=6199977&ito=792&itq=b7ca67ee-af64-4b69-8773-7e5411cf834f

Even the KJ had a great time at a party uptown that I would never expected to go to and walking around the city on Friday night was like being in South Beach or the Las Vegas Strip.  

I know about the Chinese media, me and 2 of my friends were walking past EpiCenter and got stopped by a Chinese reporter and her film crew. We got asked about how we feel about the game and our favorite player. I have no idea what news service it was she told us but we didn't hear her and we couldn't find it with our limited knowledge of Chinese sports writing.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Dale said:

Don’t get the laughy faces. Nothing, NOTHING is hipper than jobs and affordability. And the city offers more than enough to satisfy all but the over-stimulated.

and weather is good too and that seemed to be apart of the study.  Jobs and affordability are a big thing about it for sure.  I like our location close to the best beaches in the east and the highest mountains in the east too. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Charlotte is ranked as the 21st best city to live in according to Livability.   Not the best city in NC that would be Raleigh at #2 and Asheville ranks higher.  But in the top 25 is good for sure.   Nashville comes in #84. 

https://livability.com/list/top-100-best-places-to-live/2019/10?page=0

and can someone please direct me to the nearest HIGH SPEED light rail LYNX,

https://livability.com/best-places/top-100-best-places-to-live/2019/nc/charlotte

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

In this dusty border town on the US Mexican border of Eagle Pass TX I found 5 people who knew where Charlotte was.  How?  They all worked for Nucor the Charlotte based steelmaker which is the largest US steel producer in the country.  (Though only a couple of plants are  in the Carolinas)  They were visiting some of their customers who are oil and gas industry.  From Rexford Road in Southpark to the rest of the country and the world.    Charlotte is more than banks and there is no Bank of America in this town!  

https://nucor.com/locations

Nucor is a well run company and historically a strong dividend paying investment for those of you who like to set your stocks on autopilot and automatically reinvest the dividends.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Charlotte is ranked as the 21st best city to live in according to Livability.   Not the best city in NC that would be Raleigh at #2 and Asheville ranks higher.  But in the top 25 is good for sure.   Nashville comes in #84. 

https://livability.com/list/top-100-best-places-to-live/2019/10?page=0

and can someone please direct me to the nearest HIGH SPEED light rail LYNX,

https://livability.com/best-places/top-100-best-places-to-live/2019/nc/charlotte

Not bad, but best place to live: La Herradura, the cost of Spain. Two-bed, two-bath, large terrace, swimming pool, hillside with ocean view ... $1,000 a month all-in.

• Like 1

sounds like the ACC is interested in bringing the ACC Basketball tournament to Charlotte in a more frequent rotation.  Plus hopefully extending the ACC championship football game very likely and bringing the baseball tourney here as well.    And why not?  Charlotte is still closer to most of the schools and is a good neutral site. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/03/12/acc-commissioner-talks-tournaments-return.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+(Charlotte+Business+Journal)&ito=792&itq=abab94f4-ff2d-4ae8-89fc-f472bd6e697e&itx[idio]=6199977

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

sounds like the ACC is interested in bringing the ACC Basketball tournament to Charlotte in a more frequent rotation.  Plus hopefully extending the ACC championship football game very likely and bringing the baseball tourney here as well.    And why not?  Charlotte is still closer to most of the schools and is a good neutral site. 

The commentary during the Pitt/BC game last night, had nothing but great things to say about Charlotte and sounded very happy to see the tournament back in CLT (11 years since).  They said, although Greensboro has been great and still is great, Charlotte has grown a lot and that the proximity of the arena and hotels is very convenient.  Downtown Greensboro is a very nice downtown, however, the Greensboro coliseum really isn't DT and there aren't that many hotels in close proximity.  I absolutely think they should keep Charlotte in a more consistent rotation.  I don't know the numbers, but I would guess attendance drops when the ACC tourney is in Brooklyn.  Greensboro and esp Charlotte are  centrally located amongst  the 15 schools and are probably within a ~2 hour drive to close to half of them. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/03/12/acc-commissioner-talks-tournaments-return.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+(Charlotte+Business+Journal)&ito=792&itq=abab94f4-ff2d-4ae8-89fc-f472bd6e697e&itx[idio]=6199977

Just to clarify: the ACC Championship football game is already signed on to be in Charlotte thru 2030. The Belk Bowl is up for renewal however. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

The commentary during the Pitt/BC game last night, had nothing but great things to say about Charlotte and sounded very happy to see the tournament back in CLT (11 years since).  They said, although Greensboro has been great and still is great, Charlotte has grown a lot and that the proximity of the arena and hotels is very convenient.  Downtown Greensboro is a very nice downtown, however, the Greensboro coliseum really isn't DT and there aren't that many hotels in close proximity.  I absolutely think they should keep Charlotte in a more consistent rotation.  I don't know the numbers, but I would guess attendance drops when the ACC tourney is in Brooklyn.  Greensboro and esp Charlotte are  centrally located amongst  the 15 schools and are probably within a ~2 hour drive to close to half of them. 

The Greensboro Coliseum was a great option for many years, but I'm not sure it makes as much sense as it used to. The ACC is a much more diverse league than it used to be. Fanbases from outside NC are less interested in going there than they are to larger markets and there are fewer high quality hotels and restaurants. A few years ago Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim famously made a dig at the dining options in the triad. The stadium is aging poorly and is possibly too large for the ACC nowadays.

Charlotte is a great option to keep the NC tradition alive while moving to a less NC focused tournament. If the next available tournament date is 2023 at the earliest, Charlotte will be even more of a major city by the time the next tournament rolls around.

Even though most of these schools are familiar with Charlotte with the football championship here, 11 years after the last Bball tournament, a TON has changed. The last time the ACC was here, Epicentre and Ritz wasn't even finished yet. Think about how much the arena area has changed. Hopefully by 2024 the entire area is surrounded by a bar district and glistening new towers, maybe even a redeveloped bus terminal.

• Like 2