The Good News Report

atlrvr

19 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I can't figure out where Raleigh is building 2 million SF of office space. Certainly there's a couple of midrises in downtown - is that number for the entire Triangle?

North Hills has a big tower going up, west Raleigh, Morrisville, some downtown their buildings are just not as big as ones in Charlotte but they are building quite a bit all over.  Cary too.   Actually the way JLL looks at Raleigh Durham is that this would be for the whole area including downtown Durham where a good bit of office space in underway. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I can't figure out where Raleigh is building 2 million SF of office space. Certainly there's a couple of midrises in downtown - is that number for the entire Triangle?

North HIlls gets quite a lot of development.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

North HIlls gets quite a lot of development.

I hadn't been up there in years and went a little while ago and holy crap it's not even the same place. Not even close

It's close to being like a true second downtown area

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I hadn't been up there in years and went a little while ago and holy crap it's not even the same place. Not even close

It's close to being like a true second downtown area

see my photos under under North Hills Midtown.   That is the densest suburban development between DC area and Atlanta.  Nothing else like it in the Carolinas.  2 more towers are underway now a 20 story office tower.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

see my photos under under North Hills Midtown.   That is the densest suburban development between DC area and Atlanta.  Nothing else like it in the Carolinas.  2 more towers are underway now a 20 story office tower.  

How does it compare to South Park for density?

1 minute ago, tozmervo said:

How does it compare to South Park for density?

Much much denser.  Think of area size of Phillips Place with 18, 15, 12 story towers and an apartment complex that looks just like Stonewall Station the high rise portion.  I will be up there soon again (my Raleigh friends like to eat there) and take some photos.  2 hotels, 100s of apartments, a full size Harris Teeter in a basement garage.   Kane Realty did it and it is great project.  I just wish they would build some really tall ones in downtown Raleigh.   Check out the opening photo of their webpage   https://visitnorthhills.com/

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Apparently they have $5.1B in construction starts. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthasharf/2019/03/15/building-is-booming-in-these-30-cities-but-dont-expect-it-to-last/#3297d7213109

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 5:30 PM, KJHburg said:

Much much denser.  Think of area size of Phillips Place with 18, 15, 12 story towers and an apartment complex that looks just like Stonewall Station the high rise portion.  I will be up there soon again (my Raleigh friends like to eat there) and take some photos.  2 hotels, 100s of apartments, a full size Harris Teeter in a basement garage.   Kane Realty did it and it is great project.  I just wish they would build some really tall ones in downtown Raleigh.   Check out the opening photo of their webpage   https://visitnorthhills.com/

This looks like they took the Battery in Atlanta and plopped it down in Raleigh. It's suburban in nature but in an Urban environment. I would argue South End is the most dense non center city area in the carolinas. The point is fairly moot though as its basically part of expanded downtown.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

This looks like they took the Battery in Atlanta and plopped it down in Raleigh. It's suburban in nature but in an Urban environment. I would argue South End is the most dense non center city area in the carolinas. The point is fairly moot though as its basically part of expanded downtown.

I think it depends on your boundaries. From what I can perceive on the aerial imagery, North Hills has a very distinct boundary from high density to standard suburban density. South End's boundaries are much fuzzier and the densities are very mixed. From a planning standpoint, stepping down density is typically preferred (so you don't have a 10 story building next to a single family house), but it does make drawing clean lines a little harder.

We need a Medical school and I dont care if it is a branch of Wake Forest that would be great.  Now if we can get another law school here a branch of a major university in NC

Business Journal article.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/04/10/atrium-health-wake-forest-baptist-to-partner-bring.html

and this is merger too between Baptist Health and Atrium

http://businessnc.com/atrium-health-wake-forest-baptist-in-merger-talks-to-create-13-billion-institution/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

And what a smack in the face to UNC Charlotte this is...especially when the chancellor decided to write an op-ed in the Observer not two weeks ago saying that Charlotte could not support a medical school yet. This really makes him look bad, and increases the vitriol most alumni have against him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

From "JMT" on another forum:

What have been Chancellor Dubois’ great achievements? An expansion of the Student Union? A student-led initiative. Expansion of the University? Inevitable with Charlotte’s demographic growth. Establishment of a light rail connection with Center City Charlotte? Planned by city leadership, not proposed by the University. Creation of Charlotte 49er Football? A student and alumni-led initiative.

Philip Dubois has shown no leadership ability, and has shown no willingness to embrace and be embraced by the city of Charlotte. His public op-ed in the Charlotte Observer being followed by this announcement by Wake Forest is proof positive of Dubois’ failure to lead. This is a failure that will resonate throughout the remainder of the lifetime of the University, and can be laid directly at the feet of Chancellor Dubois.

It is due to this failure that I am calling for his immediate removal as Chancellor. He has failed this University at the best of times and has actively retarded its growth at the worst of times. Our founder, Miss Bonnie Cone once said that “we are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.” If that is true, that Dubois’s great failure has failed Bonnie Cone’s legacy, he has failed her University, and he has failed the City of Charlotte.

Honestly, this is what gets me. The university has grown leaps and bounds in the community and internationally. I know more people up here in New York who know about UNC Charlotte than I do in North Carolina. And yet, it's always a struggle. Why can't the city and state embrace this university? (Don't answer that question...we all know various reasons)

49 minutes ago, Rufus said:

Honestly, this is what gets me. The university has grown leaps and bounds in the community and internationally. I know more people up here in New York who know about UNC Charlotte than I do in North Carolina. And yet, it's always a struggle. Why can't the city and state embrace this university? (Don't answer that question...we all know various reasons)

As long as the state is unwilling to fund a 4 year school then the only viable option is for private entities to build one. That's what's happening,  Atrium clearly feels that partnering with a established medical school is better than funding a 100% independent one.