The Good News Report

atlrvr

I was wondering why the only the Harris building was getting filled at Ballantyne while the Boyle wasn't getting any tenants. The two 10-story towers in Ballantyne will now be the national HQ of both Lance (snacks) and Premier. Would love to see them in a more urban location, but at least they are in Charlotte.

For smaller news, RAIT Securities is opening a Charlotte office with some Inv. Bankers formerly from Wachovia. They are a Inv. Banking type real estate advisory firm that is based in Philly. Similarly, another advisory firm was recently created by several displaced real estate execs from Wachovia called Tannery Brook. They will be HQ'ed in Charlotte.

There is also a lot of space shuffling going on downtown will smaller financial services and consulting firms with established Charlotte presences. I don't know how much of this is to accomodate expansions, but it is good to see lease transactions.

• 2 weeks later...

On a related note there are plans to develop several acres at the entrance to the NCRC including a hotel, conference center and some office buildings with retail.

I think that the NCRC is going to be a key driver for attracting companies and prestige to our region and this kind of supplemental development of the campus is good for building up it's appeal.

Now if they would only plan a commuter rail connection to them from Uptown with a stop at UNC Charlotte!

Edited by Urbanity

In good news for areas that aren't in the immediate Charlotte metro area, but definitely have an affect on our metro region:

1) Financial technology company Fiserv Inc. plans to open a new location in Hickory that will add more than 400 jobs.

2) Boeing announced plans to have a 2nd location for their Dreamliner plant north of Charleston, SC which will create almost 4,000 jobs. It's expected to have a ripple affect in SC, which will probably create a positive impact near Charlotte.

Out side of this, I'm really hoping that the NCRC lands that cyclotron facility. That would create a huge impact with landing 2,000 jobs.

Yesterday's local Raleigh TV news reports inluded a comment from Gov. Perdue to the effect that there will be some big news within the next couple of months involving China and Charlotte as a result of her recent trade mission. Does anybody on here know what she is referring to? Based on her blog comments about the trip, I think it could involve ENN, a Chinese energy company which has recently partnered with Duke Energy to jointly develop commercial solar power projects in the United States. ENN is China's 7th largest privately owned company. Perdue toured the company during her trip and met with ENN officials, and her blog includes the following comment:

"Duke Energy recognizes the promise ENN holds and has wisely tapped into it, joining together with the company in an exciting new business venture. With any luck, that relationship will blossom, leading to a permanent ENN presence in our state"

So perhaps some type of ENN presence in Charlotte? That would go a long way toward establishing Charlotte as an energy hub...just a guess. Anyone know anything more specific about what this "big news for Charlotte" out of China is?

Edited by guy4charlotte

^

Maybe an ENN US HQ in Charlotte, 2000+ jobs, and nonstop flights to Beijing via Star member Air China...that would truly gripe PHL airport fans.thumbsup.gif (If any of this would become a reality, it would be great)

In other news, Bridgewater Capital is hiring up to 30 new loan officers over the next few months. I know it's a small number, but it's still jobs coming to the city.

Edited by cltbwimob

Here is some potentially good news. Radioshack is considering moving their corporate HQ from Ft Worth, and one of the cities on their short list is apparently Charlotte.

http://triangle.bizj...9/tidbits1.html

Would be a nice relocation for Charlotte if we can land them. If we do, I'd love to see them take some space uptown (I'm assuming we will with the remaining office towers still under construction). However, if I were a betting man I would think they'd take a suburban location like University City or Ballantyne.

However, if I were a betting man I would think they'd take a suburban location like University City or Ballantyne.

I agree that it would most likely be a suburban area rather than uptown.

Also the reason I agree is that I know that Speed Channel has it's HQ in University Research Park and ESPNU is in Ballantyne if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 1

Anyone heard about "Project Cardinal?"

I was scouring through some NCDOT agendas and came across that one. It says it is an existing industrial company that is looking at doing a $148M expansion in Charlotte that will bring in an additional 190 employees initially (up to 650 within 5 years). It was on the NCDOT agenda because they will need additional rail access.

Radio Shack is in downtown Ft. Worth, though in a suburban style building. They need 300k-350k sq. ft. There isn't a single building in the suburbs of that size.

Their lease in Ft. Worth ends in 2011. That leaves enough time for new construction, but they will have to start soon.

Radio Shack is in downtown Ft. Worth, though in a suburban style building. They need 300k-350k sq. ft. There isn't a single building in the suburbs of that size.

Their lease in Ft. Worth ends in 2011. That leaves enough time for new construction, but they will have to start soon.

300 South Tryon anyone? or maybe the Renaissance site, or maybe the design center tower.

Edited by Guest

Or Moody Lake. That approved zoning on Arrowood Road across 485 from Whitehall could add 1,800,000 square feet of office to Southwest Charlotte.

http://www.charmeck....ns/2008-053.htm

OH NO, What happened? I thought that this was going to be more Urban with a solid street grid and decked parking, WHAT HAPPENED? Its a small step up from ballantyne but thats it!

Radio Shack would be looking for 300,000 sq feet and each of these buildings are 180k so unless radio shack occupies more than one building, which could happen, but would be awfully annoying for them. I see it going downtown to Rennaissance or 300 S. Tryon. Any speculations from people in the know?

Edited by Guest

I did some googling on the Radio Shack rumor. It would be about a 1,700 employee relocation. That would be a pretty sizable relocation. I sure hope Charlotte leaders are doing everything they can. This would be a nice boon for the area...

Here's some info form a Tampa Newspaper.

The other cities listed in contention are: Alberquerque, NM, Nashville and Tampa. I think I read a Dallas source that basically said Charlotte and Nashville are the front runners. Fingers are crossed!

Edited by dbull75

There is a confirmed headquarters relocation of a decent sized company to Charlotte from Cleveland. Wastequip provides machinery for recycling/trash pickup/etc, and is one of the largest companies of this sector.

Their offices will be in the South Park area. I believe they are consolidating corporate functions from around the country to be in Charlotte. I don't know total employment, but I believe it will be several dozen.

www.wastequip.com

Also, there have been several recent announcements of financial services advisory firms opening offices in Charlotte. Most are refugees from BofA and Wellschovia. It's good to see talent staying in the area and hanging their own shingle rather than relocating to other cities to find jobs. While only a couple dozen of jobs have resulted, their organic growth will benefits Charlotte's finance sector in the long run.

Also, in addition to Wells (which I confirmed a couple of weeks ago), BofA/ML will be hiring Investment Banking analysts in Charlotte. I was afraid that they were going to cut Charlotte out, and only hire in New York for their college hires, but it appears at least some groups will be staffed in both cities.

Here's a story in WBTV about businesses springing up along the Light Rail line. It talks about a possible expansion of a local company by 20-30 employees as well as CCCP possibly adding 50-60 part time and full time positions. This once again underscores how rapid transit is so vital to the city's and community's future.

http://www.wbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=11501892

On a separate note, I find it mildly entertaining that Charlotte Center City Partners' initials are also the cyrillic letters which were representative of the Soviet Union. CCCP when translated from the cyrillic alphabet to our alphabet is SSSR or Soyuz Sovyetskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respublik. Coincidence?... nyet...shok.gif

Edited by cltbwimob

Here is some potentially good news. Radioshack is considering moving their corporate HQ from Ft Worth, and one of the cities on their short list is apparently Charlotte.

http://triangle.bizj...9/tidbits1.html

There was a follow up article in a Dallas area newpaper today that stated that the original source/leak of the info in Tampa has indicated that Tampa is now most likely out of the running for the HQ relo and that in their perspective Charlotte is the leader in the race based on the incentive package being offered here. Crossing my fingers, as it would be a huge boost.

Yesterday's local Raleigh TV news reports inluded a comment from Gov. Perdue to the effect that there will be some big news within the next couple of months involving China and Charlotte as a result of her recent trade mission. Does anybody on here know what she is referring to? Based on her blog comments about the trip, I think it could involve ENN, a Chinese energy company which has recently partnered with Duke Energy to jointly develop commercial solar power projects in the United States. ENN is China's 7th largest privately owned company. Perdue toured the company during her trip and met with ENN officials, and her blog includes the following comment:

"Duke Energy recognizes the promise ENN holds and has wisely tapped into it, joining together with the company in an exciting new business venture. With any luck, that relationship will blossom, leading to a permanent ENN presence in our state"

So perhaps some type of ENN presence in Charlotte? That would go a long way toward establishing Charlotte as an energy hub...just a guess. Anyone know anything more specific about what this "big news for Charlotte" out of China is?

Looks like you called this one. From Charlotte Business Journal:

Duke Energy's Rogers Looks To Lure Chinese HQ To Charlotte

"Duke Energy CEO Jim Rogers is lobbying one of Duke’s Chinese energy partners to move its U.S. headquarters to Charlotte.

Rogers made a vague reference to the effort at his speech Monday accepting the Charlotte Chamber’s 2009 Citizen of the Carolinas Award. After the ceremony, he confirmed the company was ENN Group, which now has its U.S. solar operations in San Jose, California.

ENN is China’s largest privately owned clean energy company. In 2008 it reported $2.8 billion in 2008."

Edited by Urbanity