The Good News Report

atlrvr

Does this mean Bev's office does not recognize the difference between Charlotte and Concord?

grin.png

On a related note - I have to laugh at the comment section in the Observer for the related article. Who would think that a major job announcement for the region would be met with such scorn?

Edited by Urbanity

Seriously, "Hide Comments" is the best feature of the Observer website. We seem to have had a pretty good run of job announcements, and Project Cardinal is still hovering out there somewhere. I really think Charlotte is well positioned to power out of this recession much more successfully than many media talking heads would say otherwise.

Seriously, "Hide Comments" is the best feature of the Observer website. We seem to have had a pretty good run of job announcements, and Project Cardinal is still hovering out there somewhere. I really think Charlotte is well positioned to power out of this recession much more successfully than many media talking heads would say otherwise.

I agree with you... We've had nearly 2,000 jobs announced for the area in the last week. Though, I think today's announcement is good, I hope that we get some more higher paying jobs in the near future. The loan servicing and call center type jobs won't fuel the recovery as much. The RadioShack relo would be great. Also, I suspect the Project Cardinal will be as well (assuming it's targeting someone such as Siemens).

• 2 weeks later...

A few jobs announcements for the Charlotte area:

1) Wilbert Plastic will move their HQ to Charlotte (Belmont area specifically) from Chicago. This move will create 41 new jobs which average about $94k a piece. Far above the $33k that's averaged in Gaston County. In addition they will invest $5.7 million in the area.

2) Composite Resources will add 50 jobs to their Rock Hill polymer-products plant over the next 5 years. They will also buy another 5 acres for their Rock Hill’s TechPark location. They currently have about 80 employees at that location.

The DEC and Vue costs range between $240-280 million apiece. The Blue line ended somewhere around $460-470 million. Laid out flat, 2 million square feet of office space would cover a bit over 9 Uptown city blocks (which, incidentally, is greater than 32 acres). I think DEC has something like 4.5 million square feet, and 1BofA has 750k.

I think that last number was a typo, DEC is 1.5 million square feet. And just so we are all clear, Levines project has been in limbo for 10 years now, I'll believe this things going to happen when it ACTUALLY happens.

And... a few more Charlotte area job announcements:

1) Belk will be adding 39 HQ jobs in the buying, merchandise planning and private brands areas of the company.

2) Kannapolis-based Harmony Labs, a pharmaceutical and cosmetics manufacturer, will add 40 more jobs. They will also take on some additional space at their headquarters.

We're getting these announcements in bits and pieces, but 2010 is definitely off to a positive start.

Edited by dbull75

The Observer is reporting that, Morgan Stanley is forming a new private banking operation, headquartered in New York and Charlotte, that will serve wealthy customers of its brokerage business.

When you read the actual story it has no concrete details on the Charlotte component outside it plans to grow. I also can find no confirmation of any recent announcement by MS on their website or in any other news site which makes me cautious about if this is something definite. Nonetheless it is in today's paper so I thought I would post it.

Edited by Urbanity

I'm going to add one other item to this thread: Gov Perdue will be giving the State of the State address in Charlotte on the 13th.

Regardless of your political party or thought on Perdue herself - this is great for Charlotte from an image perspective.

I commented on this event the same day this was posted, but it must have been too "to the point". So, let me elaborate. I don't think it matters that she came to Charlotte for this speech. I can understand the inclination to think this might be something, but I don't see that it matters one way or the other. In fact, now that she has come and gone, it was even less of an event that I figured. Had she dropped some sort of bombshell, it might have garnered more attention. She didn't, and it didn't.

So, I repeat..."meh".

I didn't even think of 400 S Tryon as I was mulling 5/3's options, but that makes sense, as Duke will clear out of a lot of space in early 2010, plus it is a great building for signage, which I know they want. I was also considering 101 N Tryon (Independence Center). I suppose 201 S Tryon works as well as Wachovia will be moving those people out at somepoint.

I wonder if they are still considering anchoring a new development, in which case they could sublease space in the meantime. Unfortunately, they would need to commit to a lot more than 100,000 sq. ft. to get any new building out of the ground.

To answer the employment question they are moving 150-175 employees Uptown.

Any new scuttlebutt on 5/3rd's downtown destination?

Found this article on city-data. It is an article written by Bob Morgan that sort of lays out the good things that have happened despite the recession. What surprises me is how many people are willing to flame him for writing a column that seemed upbeat. Between the comments on the observer and the city-data posters, I found only a few actually didn't flame on him, make sarcastic comments, etc.

Anyway, most of us here actually enjoy when somebody has something good to say about the city, so here is the article...Enjoy.

http://www.charlotte...ry/1189074.html

Edited by cltbwimob