The Good News Report

atlrvr

Not really certain if this belongs in this thread as it is still just speculation and we aren't even named but there is an interesting article about Radio Shack in the Ft Worth Star Telegram.

Some RadioShack suitors should worry Fort Worth, official says

Sounds to me like they're just trying to get Texas to pony up with some incentives for them to remain. These companies must have internal divisions that do nothing but work the system instead of creating a product or service. Kind of a waste.

Was curious to see what Radio Shack's 900,000 square foot headquarters campus looked like. Here are some pics. Wouldn't something like that look sweet in uptown Charlotte...

Ugh... No sprawl in uptown. This seems much better suited in an office park environment out in the burbs. I'd rather see them be a tenant in something like 300 South Tryon.

This is some potentially good news for the area.

1. Duke is consolidating several corporate functions in Charlotte. I imagine that it means more jobs, probably mostly in the form of relos.

2. Diamler AG apparently violated some agreement it had with workers in Mount Holly when it cut 900 jobs. The Gaston Gazette is reporting that some of those jobs could be recalled. http://www.gastongazette.com/news/truck-42805-workers-freightliner.html

3. Although temporary employment, Carowinds is hiring 2100 people for the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

<br /><br /><br />

Electrolux is not project Cardinal, Project Cardinal is a unnamed manufacturing operation that plans a move/expansion here.

For what its worth I just heard our esteemed governor speak in Raleigh at the Emerging Issues Forum. It was a remarkably dull speech about human capital in NC, but she did recite a list of innovative companies in NC which included the statement:

"and Siemens in Charlotte which will continue to expand."

It sounded like Siemens was fresh in her mind and it was the only company in her list for which expansion was mentioned.

For what its worth....

The Monsanto deal is huge both for its implications for the NCRC but also for job potential in the CLT area.

being from the Rowan/Cabarrus area Im a huge fan of the NCRC and think once the economy picks up this thing will just explode. Not only will it bring jobs but very high paying ones. I can imagine all those mill houses in K-Town one day being remodeled much like the mill homes in NoDa. Minus the funky colors of course...

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe that B&W moving their corporate HQ to Charlotte as part of the spin-off didn't get more press in Charlotte (Observer, I'm looking at you).

While there is no mention of Charlotte the Wall Street Journal has a nice article on a new, smaller, reactor produced by Babcock & Wilcox. Lots of discussion on how it may, potentially, change the nuclear power industry. The article makes the company sound very impressive (but says they are based in Lynchburg)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703444804575071402124482176.html?mod=WSJ_hps_LEFTWhatsNews

While there is no mention of Charlotte the Wall Street Journal has a nice article on a new, smaller, reactor produced by Babcock & Wilcox. Lots of discussion on how it may, potentially, change the nuclear power industry. The article makes the company sound very impressive (but says they are based in Lynchburg)

http://online.wsj.co...s_LEFTWhatsNews

I just found out that Babcock & Wilcox will be leasing space in one of the new Ballantyne office towers for their new HQ space. The HQ won't officially relocate until after the spinoff from McDermott. While their existing office in Charlotte is Uptown, it is really small, and not big enough for the dozen-two dozen jobs or so that will be moving here. I wish they had stayed Uptown, but I won't complain about gaining a Fortune 1000 HQ.

Also, the BIG news that everyone has been wondering. Fifth Third has picked their office building. It will be 201 N Tryon (IJL Building). They will be taking at least 3 floors. I wonder if that will get a big sign on top of the building?

Yes, the Fifth Third space was held by BofA. It really helps BofA shed some space before the new tower opens.

I am disappointed in Babcock. I really don't see the draw of Ballantyne. That would make me not take a job. I guess I am different though!

I don't see why...Once the spinoff is complete, B&W should be a Fortune 1000 company, and it is relocating to Charlotte. It will be our third company on the Fortune 500/1000 list from the energy sector and will help in establishing the energy hub in Charlotte. Oh well, I am just glad they are moving to the city. Maybe the continued addition of corporate HQs in Ballantyne portends a future skyline in that area similar to Buckhead or one of Atlanta's many other mini-skylines. At any rate, I would love to see more energy companies relocate to Charlotte, whether they choose uptown, Ballantyne or elsewhere.

In other news, stimulus funds will be used for hiring 50 more police officers.

Also, the BIG news that everyone has been wondering. Fifth Third has picked their office building. It will be 201 N Tryon (IJL Building). They will be taking at least 3 floors. I wonder if that will get a big sign on top of the building?

Wonder how they'll fit a branch with street frontage in the tower?

Here are a couple of economic tidbits.

1. Gastonia's downtown seems to be going through a rebirth. New businesses are opening up and at least one person thinks it could become the new NoDa. On that note, in the Gaston Gazette, they will highlight new businesses starting in Gaston, Cleveland, and Lincoln counties IIRC. I haven't seen many lately, but not too long ago, there seemed to be dozens of startups every week.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/02/28/1278492/g-town-heading-back-toward-its.html

2. Garretson Firm Resolution Group is expanding by 30 in Charlotte. Also Turman painters is expanding in Charlotte. Levine Childrens Hospital is going to form a Children's Cancer research coalition. (We really need a medical school in Charlotte)

http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=74555520dedad13772facd41a&id=c543cb143d

3. And the potentially big economic news is that plans for ReVenture Park, the green industrial park with the proposed biomass plant on the Catawba, were presented to city council tonight. Those developers are hoping to break ground by the end of the year. If built, it's expected to bring over 1000 permanent jobs, 800 temporary construction jobs, and $900 million in investment.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/22711181/detail.html

Ok, so I had lunch with a real nice guy today whose brother works at Siemens and he pretty much confirmed that Project Cardinal is a Siemens expansion 'related to what they do now'. He wouldn't say anything else, as he shouldn't, but he said to him the scope of the project is 'shocking'. He said it would probably be announced in the next few weeks.

Ok, so I had lunch with a real nice guy today whose brother works at Siemens and he pretty much confirmed that Project Cardinal is a Siemens expansion 'related to what they do now'. He wouldn't say anything else, as he shouldn't, but he said to him the scope of the project is 'shocking'. He said it would probably be announced in the next few weeks.

What exactly does Siemens do now in Charlotte?

Uh, not in Charlotte. I think the LRT cars come out of California.

They do power generation components, hydro-electric turbines, etc. Formerly Westinghouse.

Right you are, sir. I mis-read the question as to what Siemens does... period. There was some chatter on this thread earlier about rail sidings and the thinking that the California facility was at capacity...

kermit user_popup.png 7Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

aceboogie, on 20 November 2009 - 07:32 PM, said:

This is really awesome. I wonder if this announcement will help fuel the "Energy Hub" status that Charlotte is trying to attain. Also, doesn't Siemens deal alot with trains and rail? Just curious.

apologies for fueling speculation, the CBJ article spurred me to do some googling: The Siemens LRT production facility in Sacramento cranked out 58 cars in 2007 and planned to produce 100 in 2008 http://sacramento.bi.../10/story2.html -- I am guessing that would generate around 40 rail cars worth of freight. It appears that Sacramento facility employs around 700 people (the CBJ article about project cardinal says "up to 650 new jobs within 5 years")

This September article from the WSJ discussed Siemens plans for expansion due to increased funding for all types of rail thanks to the stimulus (although there was nothing specific about new facilities or sites):

I would assume that rail car production will require chunks of steel that are larger (and heavier) than can be easily transported by truck and is the type of production (of heavy / bulky things) that make sense to do near a market (and perhaps near the port of Charleston to facilitate exports to Puerto Rico and the east coast of South America). If Siemens feels that the Sacramento facility will hit capacity due to stimulus related expansion, then an east coast location (in a non-union state) might make sense.

The "expansion of a production facility" statement from today's CBJ article could go either way.

It sure would be nice if Charlotte's national (but not local) reputation for "progressive transit planning" combined with the Siemens facility down on Westinghouse might lead to some really nice new factory jobs in town. It might also be an event that might help silence some of the local transit critics by creating a tangible connection between transit and employment.