The Good News Report

atlrvr

as reported a few days ago on UP here is the  Business Journal article about the 500 new jobs going in the space that was going to be Paypal space. Health insurance marketplace company. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/10/24/gohealth-insurance-opens-charlotte-office-adds-500.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2016-10-24&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1477345080&j=76230571

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is small number of jobs but good for the region Dole to move their eastern US sales office to Kannapolis and the Research Campus there. Average salaries are high for the 19 jobs http://www.independenttribune.com/news/dole-considers-division-move-to-kannapolis/article_9081b830-991f-11e6-bdb4-536b8643a0eb.html

That explains why Dole's been conducting so many controlled research studies on the effects of bananas on endurance at the Murdoch Institute.

I know this is posted under Ballantyne news but this is great for Charlotte. Wells Fargo is steadily increasing its employment in Charlotte and you don't take down 287,000 sq ft if you dont have even more growth planned. They do not seem to vacating any space in Charlotte elsewhere either.  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/10/31/wells-fargo-to-lease-brigham-building-in.html

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I know this is posted under Ballantyne news but this is great for Charlotte. Wells Fargo is steadily increasing its employment in Charlotte and you don't take down 287,000 sq ft if you dont have even more growth planned. They do not seem to vacating any space in Charlotte elsewhere either.  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/10/31/wells-fargo-to-lease-brigham-building-in.html

Sounds like they are moving jobs away from uptown to me. Not really good news.

^If they don't reduce sq ft Uptown (which there is no indication of), this is in addition to whatever they use Uptown.  This is good news.  To state the obvious question everyone is thinking, I am curious how this may or may not relate to Lincoln Harris property.  I think the biggest assumption on UP has been that Wells would take a large portion of the LH property, but if they are taking 287K sq ft here I wonder how much of LH is in play.  Makes me wonder if there isn't more to LH that know one has figured out yet.

2 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

^If they don't reduce sq ft Uptown (which there is no indication of), this is in addition to whatever they use Uptown.  This is good news.  To state the obvious question everyone is thinking, I am curious how this may or may not relate to Lincoln Harris property.  I think the biggest assumption on UP has been that Wells would take a large portion of the LH property, but if they are taking 287K sq ft here I wonder how much of LH is in play.  Makes me wonder if there isn't more to LH that know one has figured out yet.

But they said they are not sure "which departments will be moving there" and cutting commute times to workers. Sounds like jobs leaving uptown to me.

Edited by RaleighHeelsfan

2 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

But they said they are not sure "which departments will be moving there" and cutting commute times to workers. Sounds like jobs leaving uptown to me.

Some jobs will probably switch to Ballantyne and then the space that is vacated can be filled by other teams that need space Uptown. So let's say most of the social media team in Charlotte lives in Ballantyne/South CLT/Fort Mill. They might move that team to the Ballantyne office and allow a Risk and Compliance team in Uptown to finally co-locate together and add new hires in an Uptown tower. So every job that is moved from Uptown, will be replaced with somebody else in that desk Uptown. 

• Like 1

Not sure about ending any leases uptown but I think this is growth for several reasons. First they are quietly moving more and more jobs to Charlotte from higher priced area like the Bay Area of San Francisco.  They have been growing here is an example within the last few years: theyvacated 163,000 sq ft 8470 Research Drive and leased 120,000 in Innovation Park (both in the university area) then after the renovation of 8470 Research they leased the entire building again and kept the Innovation Park space. I think this is growth however I do wonder is or was Wells the tenant for Lincoln or it is Duke Energy like I suspect. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

They occupy just as much sq ft in Univ City as they do Uptown.  The reality is it probably pulls from both, but is a reflection that they have been and continue to add thousands of jobs here (Charlotte market).

I've been skeptical that they were the LH lead tenant, but I'm not sure if this really changes that view one way or the other....they have really been growing a lot in Charlotte, and if they need space NOW, the LH doesn't solve that problem, as it's AT LEAST 2.5 years away, even at the speed they are moving.

• Like 2

As California is increasingly hostile to Wells Fargo and of course the low interest rate environment we are in, it is hard for banks to make money and Charlotte is an attractive place. They need to keep decreasing their costs and as Charlotte has cheap office space compared to their other hubs and lower employment costs I would think this is hundreds of new jobs for Charlotte but you will never see a press release about it. Overall a big win for Charlotte and Ballantyne and Bissell Companies. Maybe now they will start yet another office building there. And it will be probably 10 stories too. 

Found this story about Wells in San Francisco Business Journal http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2016/10/18/wells-fargo-bank-san-francisco-scandal-wfc.html  they wanted to take Wells name off a portion of a hospital! 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Sounds like they are moving jobs away from uptown to me. Not really good news.

I think it's absurd to think or even want WF to have all of their employees work in Uptown.  When you employ close to 25,000 you need to draw from a pretty wide net to fill those positions and having outpost offices like Ballantyne are a part of that.  

• Like 4

This Charleston wing joint is moving its corporate headquarters to the Queen City.

Wild Wing Cafe says it has leased 6,400 square feet at 205 Regency Executive Park in southwest Charlotte.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/01/charleston-restaurant-chain-moves-hq-to-charlotte.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 2

Evidently Lendingtree is expanding in Charlotte 314 new jobs avg salary $82K according to reports. Great news for Charlotte 

Chamber news release: http://echo4.bluehornet.com/hostedemail/email.htm?CID=36439488057&ch=8F624292210650CEE866BDE81CD89BDB&h=0b589273d2cf1ab888aebb0a5122a3e0&ei=7-z_R0YNW&schema=echo4

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

LendingTree expanding their Charlotte headquarters by 314 jobs (over double their current 286 employees in CLT) over the next 5 years. They will establish an HQ campus in South Park (currently in Ballantyne). Average salary will be $81,000 and they will invest $47 million in South Park. LendingTree will receive a $4.9 million JDIG incentive. 

“North Carolina is the intersection of finance and technology, and LendingTree’s expanded headquarters campus just made that intersection even busier,” said Secretary Skvarla. “This innovative company provides valuable financial tools for U.S. consumers, and the Charlotte Region will continue to be an integral part of their success.”

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Anybody know where they are looking in South Park? RDF mentioned a while back that one of Lincoln Harris' projects in the region was expecting an announcement.  I am curious if Lending Tree is looking at Capitol Towers.

was thinking the same thing and that is my bet. They have the biggest block of space 236,000 sq ft and of course they would not need that much but thats my bet. Here is the availability in Capitol Towers they are wrapping up the 2nd empty tower now 

http://capitoltowers.com/floor-plans-availability/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Check out the building in the background of the LendingTree announcement.  It looks like some kind of rooftop terrace connected over two buildings.  The Rexford area really needs some updating, so this interesting.  

(pics from CBJ)

LT.jpg

LT2.jpg

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This is great reuse of 1980s style office building and new construction. Plus moving into town closer to center city will help them attract talent as SouthPark is a easy commute to many intown neighborhoods. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/11/02/lendingtree-to-add-more-than-300-jobs-in-charlotte.html

South Park puts them closer to South End for recruiting developers in their 20's, without completely alienating those that have been with the company longer (and likely have families) and live in the suburbs. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Check out the building in the background of the LendingTree announcement.  It looks like some kind of rooftop terrace connected over two buildings.  The Rexford area really needs some updating, so this interesting.  

(pics from CBJ)

That second building isn't currently there so i am guessing they are building a parking deck.  I count only like maybe 150 parking spots and with the Marriott wanting to build another hotel on site, every spot around there would be at a premium.  Maybe a collaboration between the Marriott and Lending Tree to share spaces.

You are right on Rexford needing some updating. 

• Like 2