The Good News Report

atlrvr

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170906006134/en/Diversey-Standalone-Company-Completion-Acquisition-Bain-Capital

Anybody willing to elaborate on this article? Sounds like Charlotte gained a new F1000 company with Diversey being sold from SealedAir to Bain, and then Bain turning it into a standalone. Or am I reading this wrong? There was an article in the CBJ that also mentioned Diversey remaining on SealedAir's campus for the time being.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rufus said:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170906006134/en/Diversey-Standalone-Company-Completion-Acquisition-Bain-Capital

Anybody willing to elaborate on this article? Sounds like Charlotte gained a new F1000 company with Diversey being sold from SealedAir to Bain, and then Bain turning it into a standalone. Or am I reading this wrong? There was an article in the CBJ that also mentioned Diversey remaining on SealedAir's campus for the time being.

Diversey will not be publicly traded. They will be a wholly owned company by Bain Capital.  Whether Bain holds them for a while, sells them down the road, or takes them public is anybody's guess at this point. Diversey will be evaluating three scenarios likely for an HQ down the road: Move the global headquarters back to the Netherlands (their largest corporate office worldwide and Europe is by far their largest market), a new headquarters in Charlotte without an R&D facility or the need to build one from scratch, or a headquarters in Racine, WI where the R&D facilities in the USA are located and they just need to get office space. 

Sealed Air will drop from being a Fortune 500 to a Fortune 1000. Sealed Air will now have revenue of approx $4.2 billion. They will be sitting on cash though and could buy another company to become Fortune 500 again. 

Edited by CLT2014

1 hour ago, Vitamin_N said:

Amazon is planning on building a second U.S. headquarters outside of Seattle at a cost of $5B. Any guesses as to whether Charlotte will be in the running?

If we submit a good proposal with lots of incentives and can show we can pull the amount of tech workers they will need, we could certainly be a contender. Room in Uptown for them to build their own vertical campus is a plus as well. My guess is they will be looking for a location with a lower cost of living than Seattle for HQ #2.

CLT airport will be a major strength for a Charlotte bid. I'm sure Raleigh area will bid as well. They have the tech strength and workforce, but the airport is a bit smaller. Both could be good contenders. 

Edited by CLT2014

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=17044620011

What is Amazon HQ2?

Amazon HQ2 will be the second Amazon headquarters in North America. We are looking for a location with strong local and regional talent—particularly in software development and related fields—as well as a stable and business-friendly environment to continue hiring and innovating on behalf of our customers.

My first thought was RTP.  

• Like 1

This Amazon HQ2 may already be looking at Atlanta. There was a report last month about a tenant looking for 500K of office space there and many discounted it as a phathom company. However this could be the real deal and Charlotte with a light rail friendly site could be great    From ATL: https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2017/09/07/atlanta-likely-in-consideration-for-amazons-5.html?ana=e_atl_bn&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1504793484&j=78793111   They have almost as much warehouse space in this area as they do in Atlanta however we dont have that Amazon Web Services office like ATL does.   However I am sure NC will be in pursuit.   (By the way I have always thought Amazon was way too concentrated on the West coast where earthquakes and even volcanoes could severely disrupt business) 

• Like 1

^^ I agree about Ballantyne...

I actually see them considering University City area. The light rail gives quick access to ALL the fun spots in CLT but land is plentiful and cheap.

But still would prefer uptown, take over a few blocks on the north side (1st or 4rth ward) and develop it out with Amazon as the anchor tenant and with their input.

Just now, atlrvr said:

Would think River District is only place that fits all criteria.  Camp North End or Scaleybark areas are interesting, but not sure can accommodate the scale.

My money is on NoVa, with Atlanta second, and actually Charlotte third.

Hey, I've got 8 acres up here not far from Camp North End ;-).  Zoned I-1/BD.....  77 & 85.  Not listed, but for someone like that I might.  :-)

• Like 2

Since 1st ward levineland is mostly vacant and is transit accessible I would think that could be a good home for Amazon campus. Urban location transit accessible and they would have a blank slate!  NoVa and Atlanta are surely competitors but our cost structure would be better than DC area but about the same as Atlanta. Their size of labor pool maybe a big plus for them but NC should vigorously go after it for sure. That is why Amazon is releasing this for they want an incentives arms race. 

• Like 2

If only every corp relocation specified "access to mass transit" as a core preference our world would be a very different place. While Charlotte is clearly a (very) long shot their RFP may put a bit more energy behind speeding up our revised transit plan.

I am puzzled why so many here think that proximity to their warehouses is a significant benefit -- there are dozens of them all over and it seems like if there is any company comfortable with remote operations it would be Amazon.

Edited by kermit

Gov Cooper talking about Toyota Mazda plant and also the possibility of Amazon. https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/09/07/gov-cooper-talks-opportunities-with-toyota-mazda.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=scroll&ed=2017-09-07&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1504812219&j=78794691   From Atlanta Business Chronicle here is some of what Amazon is looking for " 

The new headquarters site, expected to be announced next year, would employ up to 50,000. Average annual compensation would top $100,000 per employee.

Amazon is considering greenfield sites of about 100 acres, infill sites and existing buildings with on-site mass transit and within 45 miles of an international airport.

"Amazon will prioritize certified or shovel-ready greenfield sites and infill opportunities with appropriate infrastructure and ability to meet the project’s timeline and development demands," the RFP noted.

River District, 1st Ward, University Research Park etc could meet all these needs. But they said they want transit which might fit the Brooklyn Village  or 1st Ward areas of uptown Charlotte. We have a lot of options in Charlotte. 

From a Charlotte Biz Journal subscriber article Boyd says one could argue Charlotte could be included in a preliminary list of leading contenders for HQ2. His list includes Boston, Atlanta, South Florida, Jersey City, N.J., and Toronto.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/09/07/site-consultant-charlotte-should-be-considered-for.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=scroll&ed=2017-09-07&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1504811918&j=78794691   

NC needs to go for the prize with both Amazon and the new Toyota Mazda plant and it sounds like  we will. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1