atlrvr

The Good News Report

Park Sterling Bank which is based in Charlotte is trying to grow in size by up to 20 times and sell over 4x the amount of current outstanding stock. They are bringing in some ex-Wachovia (and by that, I mean ex-Wachovia, not First Union) execs to take over. For a size comparison, that would be about twice the size of First Charter before it got bought by 5/3.

While it is too soon to speculate too far of what it means to Charlotte, they will grow their HQ here, and First Charter had about 500 employees before they got bought, so 500-1000 employees seem reasonable over the next 5 years. It will be interesting to see where they move as they grow, because I doubt there is enough room in their Morehead St. office for that kind of growth even if they took the whole building.

In a subtle note, Ronnie Bryant (head of the Charlotte Regional Partnership) said in his Monday Memo that the pipeline of potential deals is increasing in volume. He said he expected to make new announcements "very soon". The City of Charlotte approved an incentive package for an unnamed company 2 weeks ago, and the County will tomorrow night. I had assumed these were for Hewitt, but the press release said no local incentives were involved, so that, combined with Ronnie's comments suggest we might have another big announcement within the next 2 weeks....maybe the BIG announcement that catepillar2 mentioned? I have no specific inside info.

Again, not sure where this belongs...but it caught my eye in a big way:

A local Charlotte entrepeneur is trying to convert old shipping containers into high-end street-food carts/mobile restaurants. Why is this even debatable? Apparently the Derita area is highly opposed to this because...that neighborhood has too much to lose...????

http://www.carolinaweeklynewspapers.com/story/20100409/how-shipping-container-could-become-charlottes-next-culinary-hotspot

Their website...

http://www.boxmanstudios.com/blog/

Tacostand_4-9-10_clr.jpg

cafe-150x150.jpg

Is Charlotte Ready?

If you read the most recent Charlotte Observer article about us – you’re aware that there are a small group of residents in North Charlotte that have decided our mobile restaurant concept is not right for their neighborhood. And we completely agree with them on this fact – their neighborhood has never been on our list of potential sites as we are focusing on the Uptown market and certain business parks . Unfortunately, even though I have assured them we aren’t planning to operate in their neighborhood (and won’t in the future) they intend to protest our text amendment to the zoning laws expanding the definition of a Mobile Food Unit in Charlotte. They simply don’t want us to exist.

As you probably know, we are launching a mobile restaurant in April, 2010. But not just any restaurant – a restaurant that moves from place to place around Charlotte each day and offers a delicious menu created by a Cordon Bleu (Paris) trained chef which features fresh, organic produce wrapped in paninis, sandwiches, pizzas and more.

Honestly, I understand the concern about "loosening" the laws for this type of establishment. We don't want anyone with a trailer and a grill selling food on our streets. But come on...this is obviously a well thought-out, well funded operation. And really...Derita?

Please don't hold this thing up with red tape, in the name of beauracracy. Let it proceed. They're ready to open THIS MONTH. Let this one set the new standard, and then re-write the standards accordingly. This startup isn't breaking the rules...it's upping the rules.

Hopefully the city council recognizes this. It'd be a major blow if we told this local startup to find its' way elsewhere.

Edited by plaza-midwood

Again, not sure where this belongs...but it caught my eye in a big way:

A local Charlotte entrepeneur is trying to convert old shipping containers into high-end street-food carts/mobile restaurants. Why is this even debatable? Apparently the Derita area is highly opposed to this because...that neighborhood has too much to lose...????

http://www.carolinaw...ulinary-hotspot

Their website...

http://www.boxmanstudios.com/blog/

Tacostand_4-9-10_clr.jpg

cafe-150x150.jpg

Is Charlotte Ready?

If you read the most recent Charlotte Observer article about us – you’re aware that there are a small group of residents in North Charlotte that have decided our mobile restaurant concept is not right for their neighborhood. And we completely agree with them on this fact – their neighborhood has never been on our list of potential sites as we are focusing on the Uptown market and certain business parks . Unfortunately, even though I have assured them we aren’t planning to operate in their neighborhood (and won’t in the future) they intend to protest our text amendment to the zoning laws expanding the definition of a Mobile Food Unit in Charlotte. They simply don’t want us to exist.

As you probably know, we are launching a mobile restaurant in April, 2010. But not just any restaurant – a restaurant that moves from place to place around Charlotte each day and offers a delicious menu created by a Cordon Bleu (Paris) trained chef which features fresh, organic produce wrapped in paninis, sandwiches, pizzas and more.

Sounds good and even european to me. Just so the employees have the sanitary facilities to ensure clean hands and health certifications, etc. Good luck and look forward to seeing you around. One of my favorites in Europe used to be stuffed potatos. They were stuffed with various choices. Mine was chicken curry salad. I also enjoyed a nice, fresh baguette sandwich. Hurry up, College, Trade, and Tryone need you.

The Fortune 500 ranking came out and most of Charlotte region companies have increased their placement on the list.

I've attached a quick chart I made of NC companies with their 2010/2009 rank and comparison. Charlotte regional entities are highlighted in green.

post-24262-127133997483_thumb.jpg

In addition, you'll note that the six specific Charlotte city based companies place us at in the middle of the pack as far as cities with Fortune 500 HQ. This is three below Chicago, one below San Francisco and one ahead of Los Angeles, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

post-24262-127134018647_thumb.jpg

Edited by Urbanity

The Fortune 500 ranking came out and most of Charlotte region companies have increased their placement on the list.

I've attached a quick chart I made of NC companies with their 2010/2009 rank and comparison. Charlotte regional entities are highlighted in green.

post-24262-127133997483_thumb.jpg

In addition, you'll note that the six specific Charlotte city based companies place us at in the middle of the pack as far as cities with Fortune 500 HQ. This is three below Chicago, one below San Francisco and one ahead of Los Angeles, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

post-24262-127134018647_thumb.jpg

Just think how much better it would have been if we had 7 (Wachovia). Also, we all intents and puposes Lowes and Pic and Pay are Charlotte Based.

Just think how much better it would have been if we had 7 (Wachovia). Also, we all intents and puposes Lowes and Pic and Pay are Charlotte Based.

Don't forget Domtar in Fort Mill.

Here are some other MSA totals:

San Francisco – Oakland – San Jose: 31

Chicago (IL, IN, WI): 28

Houston: 25

Dallas – Fort Worth: 24

Los Angeles: 24

Minneapolis – St. Paul: 20

Washington D.C. (DC–VA–MD–WV): 17

Philadelphia (PA, DE, MD, NJ): 14

Atlanta: 12

Boston: 12

Detroit: 12

Charlotte: 9

Cincinnati (OH-KY-IN): 9

St. Louis: 9

Denver: 8

Milwaukee: 8

Pittsburgh: 8

Cleveland: 7

Seattle: 7

Richmond – 6

Columbus: 5

Miami – Fort Lauderdale: 5

Omaha: 5

Phoenix: 5

Hartford: 4

San Antonio: 4

As someone pointed out earlier, if Charlotte could count Mooresville-based Lowe's and Matthews-based Family Dollar, we would rise a couple notches, and then be tied with St. Louis. But St. Louis is technically now down to only 3 Fortune 500 companies headquartered physically within that relatively small (area comparable to inside Charlotte's Route 4) central city's official limits. The other companies listed as "St. Louis" just can use that as an alternate mailing address (any ZIP starting with "631"), but are actually in the suburbs surrounding the City of St. Louis. That's why the above MSA list is a much more fair comparison than the City list.

Edited by southslider

Richmond – 6

This is def. the list I like better. It seems to have better context than strictly a city list (although I appreciate that being posted as well!).

Richmond – 6

I'm adding two MSA's to the list that were looked over. New York(NY-NJ-CT) MSA (the largest city in the nation) with 77 Fortune 500 companies. Also Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News(VA-NC) MSA with 4.

Edited by calwinston

Am I missing something, what happened to the NYC metropolitan Fortune 500 total. Or is it just too big to put on the list?

I started going through the NYC MSA and stopped at 71.

Here are a few others:

Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News: 4

Indianapolis: 3

Jacksonville: 3

Kansas City: 3

Louisville: 3

Tampa – St. Petersburg: 3

Toledo: 3

Allentown: 2

Austin: 2

Portland: 2

Akron: 2

Baltimore: 2

Orlando: 2

San Diego: 2

Don't forget the Triad too with 4 F500 HQs. BB&T and ReynoldsAmerican in W-S, VF in Greensboro, & LabCorp in Burlington. And if you really want to be nitpicky, 2 in the Triangle with Pantry and Progress Energy.

Here's some potentially good news that I found today.

The NS intermodal yard at CLT is expected to bring 5,000 jobs and billions of dollars to the local economy. Also, up to 236 employees of the Mount Holly Freightliner plant could be rehired due to the "success" of recent labor negotiations.

http://www.wsoctv.com/video/23177131/index.html

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/mount-46122-holly-workers.html

American HQ news. Numbers are small (25) though it will be the base for both North and South America. Most promising is the plans to open an assembly plant here.

A Taiwanese maker of automated machine tools will establish its North and South American headquarters in Charlotte.

Anderson America Corp. also plans to open an assembly plant here. “We’re waiting for the economy to recover,” says Raymond Ward, chief executive. “We see very positive signs, but customers are still a little bit scared.”

Read more: Anderson America expands in Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal:

Edited by Urbanity

"By 2012, or 2013 at the latest, the facility’s effect will be an almost immediate reduction in truck traffic in the uptown area. The current, smaller intermodal center in the NoDa area requires hundreds of tractor-trailers to exit the interstates and travel through the north side of uptown. That traffic will move to the airport once the facility is complete."

I know that moving the intermodal yards out of Northeast Charlotte has long been a wishlist item for many residents. So how does this affect the current yards? This one will be 3 times its' size...so will the current one remain the same - or can that space be used for other purposes?

I know that moving the intermodal yards out of Northeast Charlotte has long been a wishlist item for many residents. So how does this affect the current yards? This one will be 3 times its' size...so will the current one remain the same - or can that space be used for other purposes?

The paved lots will be available for redevelopment. But the actual rails will still be used. So about 1 block-width off Brevard/Caldwell - stretching from 16th to 28th. 8 city blocks to readdress Optimist Park? Not bad - much of this land can/will be used for LYNX/stations.

A medical supply company named Greiner Bio-One North America will be adding 51 jobs in Union Co. and invest $25 M over the next three years. More details can be found here.

GMAC has finally turned a quarterly profit. They also announced that they will rebrand the company Ally Financial. Nothing too interesting, but that should provide comfort to the ~250 new employees that are working for the only company in America that had to go back for 3 "bailouts".

CIT Group is moving from 2 Wachovia to 3 floors at 201 S Tryon. Essentially they are swapping spaces with Wellschovia, which is consolidating into 2 Wachovia and vacating 201 S Tryon. I don't know if CIT is growing or shrinking space with the move, but it will total about 50k sq. ft. which could accomodate about 200 people.

GMAC has finally turned a quarterly profit. They also announced that they will rebrand the company Ally Financial. Nothing too interesting, but that should provide comfort to the ~250 new employees that are working for the only company in America that had to go back for 3 "bailouts".

CIT Group is moving from 2 Wachovia to 3 floors at 201 S Tryon. Essentially they are swapping spaces with Wellschovia, which is consolidating into 2 Wachovia and vacating 201 S Tryon. I don't know if CIT is growing or shrinking space with the move, but it will total about 50k sq. ft. which could accomodate about 200 people.

The way I understand it is that if it wouldn't have been for Ally, GMAC would have turned a Q1 loss. What I find interesting is that Ally bank is reported to be HQ'ed in Charlotte by both the bizjournal and another big name financial newspaper...just can't remember which one. Maybe as part of the rebranding, GMAC will move it's corporate HQ to the home of Ally Bank.

Edited by cltbwimob