The Good News Report

atlrvr

CBRE looked at 16 major markets in the southeast all the big ones and the smaller metros too.  

Guess what city is #2 in job rate growth behind only Nashville and #2 in job growth over 10 years in actual job numbers after only the ATL ?   You guessed it #4th largest metro in the south east:   Charlotte.  

Here is my literal screen shot and the link to this 2019 reports for office market, economy, retail growth etc.  Lots of info here but very interesting. 

https://www.cbre.us/research-and-reports/Southeast-U-S--Office-Market-Outlook-2019-SEOR

#1 in projected growth in the next 5 years? Raleigh Durham, most educated Raleigh Durham and highest office employment again Raleigh Durham.  

CBREstats.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 9:48 AM, KJHburg said:

3 major Charlotte financial firms announced $70 Million in affordable housing money.  Bank of America, Ally Bank and Barings all committed. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/15/bofa-ally-financial-and-barings-to-invest-70m-plus.html?ana=e_me_set1&s=newsletter&ed=2019-01-15&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1547563488&j=86059101

Note from Bank of America

""A spokeswoman for Bank of America declined to comment on specifics about the land earmarked for donation, except that it will be in the North Tryon district to support affordable housing in uptown. BofA has land holdings along North Tryon and is a stakeholder in redevelopment projects on that corridor, including the Seventh and Tryon plan, which calls for affordable units.""

Looks like the other North Tryon donation will be the lot next to the Ballet and the McColl Center: https://www.wfae.org/post/bofa-donate-uptown-land-worth-7m-affordable-housing#stream/0

With Edwin Towers, Booth Gardens and Tryon House Apartments, it seems like this little area will have quite a concentration of below-market housing in a putatively high-income area by Charlotte standards. 

• Like 3

On 1/23/2019 at 5:59 PM, KJHburg said:

One more thing from the Charlotte report JLL states this:

""As a result, 65% of the 3.2 million square feet of new construction is preleased, in one of the largest concentrations of construction of any CBD in the United States.""

Preleased is great. Period. But I do worry about all the space that will free up from those moving from other uptown office towers. Will that be harder to lease/absorb? I know it is not as simple as 3.2 million under construction which is 65% leased. A lot of that pre-leased space will open up elsewhere. 

27 minutes ago, GeauxCLT said:

Preleased is great. Period. But I do worry about all the space that will free up from those moving from other uptown office towers. Will that be harder to lease/absorb? I know it is not as simple as 3.2 million under construction which is 65% leased. A lot of that pre-leased space will open up elsewhere. 

Some space for sure will open up for sure but it will be more value space cheaper rent than these new buildings.  Just as WeWork backfilled over 100K sq ft of space in First Citizens Bank other tenants will slowly absorb this space.  Plus these towers are spaced out in delivery times too Legacy this year, Tryon Place late 2020 same as Legacy 2.  However we also have growing banks and other firms that take a floor here and there like Wells which is quietly backfilling quite a bit of space in Duke Energy Center.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GeauxCLT said:

The straight answer to your question is that Class B office, especially in the CBD, is about to get real ugly real quick. By my count, over 1M sq ft of B space coming open through 2020. No idea how it will be absorbed. The Class B market in Uptown has essentially 0 absorption over the past several years. Would not want to own several buildings, 400 S Tryon being the most obvious.

10 hours ago, lancer22 said:

The straight answer to your question is that Class B office, especially in the CBD, is about to get real ugly real quick. By my count, over 1M sq ft of B space coming open through 2020. No idea how it will be absorbed. The Class B market in Uptown has essentially 0 absorption over the past several years. Would not want to own several buildings, 400 S Tryon being the most obvious.

400S Tryon was just purchased this year. I wouldn't be shocked if there were plans to gut the interior. 

3 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

400S Tryon was just purchased this year. I wouldn't be shocked if there were plans to gut the interior. 

It was purchased before they knew that Duke was going to blow out. Trust me, at the price it sold for, makes no sense to buy if you know there is a hole that big coming open.

9 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

It was purchased before they knew that Duke was going to blow out. Trust me, at the price it sold for, makes no sense to buy if you know there is a hole that big coming open.

They must not have been doing their homework. If they just read Urban Planet, they'd have known Duke has been exploring its options since 2012

Edited by Guest

IMO large amounts of vacant Class B space uptown is an asset for the city, not a liability.  Particularly since most of the new A space appears to be getting filled before its built.

The worst thing that can happen to Charlotte's urbanization is for it to price out everybody/every non Fortune 1000 firm, this space will make it possible for smaller firms to find space uptown.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

US Bank bases another unit in Charlotte and their total employee count in Charlotte is up to 800!

""The bank now offers asset-backed securitization lending to its corporate clients. Asset-backed securities are bonds backed by financial assets, such as auto loans, student loans or home-equity loans. Securitization refers to the process of pooling financial assets to create a marketable security.   Charlotte was an attractive market to build an ABSL team because of the available talent here, notes Stephen Philipson, head of fixed income and capital markets.  "It increases the critical nature of our presence here," Philipson says of adding the ABSL team. "That'll be an important source of growth for us with our clients, and adding one more product that's centered in Charlotte is just another example of how critical this marketplace is for us, overall as a bank and also as a fixed income and capital markets group."  U.S. Bank entered the Charlotte market when it acquired Wachovia Corp.'s corporate trust business in 2006. Its presence here has grown to more than 800 employees.""

from a subscriber article in Business Journal https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/25/why-us-banks-charlotte-office-is-building-a-new.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

US Bank bases another unit in Charlotte and their total employee count in Charlotte is up to 800!

""The bank now offers asset-backed securitization lending to its corporate clients. Asset-backed securities are bonds backed by financial assets, such as auto loans, student loans or home-equity loans. Securitization refers to the process of pooling financial assets to create a marketable security.   Charlotte was an attractive market to build an ABSL team because of the available talent here, notes Stephen Philipson, head of fixed income and capital markets.  "It increases the critical nature of our presence here," Philipson says of adding the ABSL team. "That'll be an important source of growth for us with our clients, and adding one more product that's centered in Charlotte is just another example of how critical this marketplace is for us, overall as a bank and also as a fixed income and capital markets group."  U.S. Bank entered the Charlotte market when it acquired Wachovia Corp.'s corporate trust business in 2006. Its presence here has grown to more than 800 employees.""

from a subscriber article in Business Journal https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/25/why-us-banks-charlotte-office-is-building-a-new.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

well I no longer am betting big that they land at 6th and Tryon. 

Just now, J-Rob said:

Does that mean you think they land elsewhere, or stay put?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just think they are back on the drawing board. Honeywell is only going to land one place, so US Bank, and otheres will land at one of the many places vying for Honeywell's attention